RC poster

5700kv 1406 or 1410 3800kv castle motors

Would I run faster with a sidewinder sct or a mamba max pro combo with a 5700kv motor I am currently using 7 cell nimh batterys and plan on purchasing some lipos and a charger soon

RC Enthusiast
    The 3800 would be the better choice. The 5700 may have just a little bit more speed on the top end but the extra torque on the 3800 makes up for that and you can gear the 3800 up a little higher than the 5700. The 5700 will run too hot IMO.

RC Champion
    If I were you, I would do the sv3 4600kv as it will be great for the 2wd application with the slashes small wheels. It will give a balance of great temps, torque, and top speed.
    Revo 2.5 upgraded to 3.3.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    I agree with mandime 100%
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ManDime View Post
    If I were you, I would do the sv3 4600kv it will be great for the 2wd application with the slashes small wheels. It will give a balance of great temps, torque, and top speed.
    So it would be how much faster then the Sidewinder SCT? A lot? a liittle? Very little?

RC Qualifier
    it's the motor that dictates the speed here, since SCT and SV3 are initially the same ESC's (one has a fan, the other doesn't).
    so with equal batteries, count your rpm (kv x v) and you'll find the 4600 about 20% faster then the 3800 (but less torque). the 5700 will be again 20% faster then the 4600. but that's all in theory. a speed increase by 5 to max 10% could be expected.

i run a 5700 in my BaSh, and torque isn't an issue. just keep an eye on your temps.
    using the right battery (at least 35C 5000Mah) does help a lot too to keep your temps down.

mm

RC Racer
    also weight will play a factor with heat too you dont want to be a 5700kv motor in a truck that weights over 5lbs. that is from castles website with the sv3 the sct can handle 6.5lbs. is all in castles website always do your homework before you buy something like this you could burn up an esc the heaver the truck the bigger the esc i have a 1/8 escs in both of my slash maybe overkill but is just fine
    Kyosho Inferno VE, Anza Slash, Rustler VXL

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by tjk6789 View Post
    also weight will play a factor with heat too you dont want to be a 5700kv motor in a truck that weights over 5lbs. that is from castles website with the sv3 the sct can handle 6.5lbs. is all in castles website always do your homework before you buy something like this you could burn up an esc the heaver the truck the bigger the esc i have a 1/8 escs in both of my slash maybe overkill but is just fine
    So it would be pushing it to put the Sidewinder in a slash?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperblast View Post

In a 2wd slash, no.
    In a 4wd, yes if the bearings are not new and if it's not geared appropriately.
    Revo 2.5 upgraded to 3.3.

The 3800kv and 4600kv sidewinder systems on 2s will be just fine in the slash, 3s will be to much for the esc.
    If this is a concern the mamba max pro will handle 3s without issue.
    I've been reading BOTH your threads on this subject and IMO you have to decide if speed is all your after or an all around good system.
    The 3800kv mamba max pro will run 3s an give the slash all and more then it can handle, you will have to watch the temps but this is true with most any 1/10 system on 3s.
    The 4600kv will be a bit more prone to heat issues but will be fine as well.
    If you want to go fast and not worry about heat look it the the 2400kv (550 can) mamba max pro system (also mentioned by ManDime in your other thread).
    This motor esc combo can run 3s all day and not break a sweat, if you want to get really crazy throw a 4s in and it will sprout wings.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 09-13-2014 at 11:46 AM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC poster
    Sorry for all the threads I can't seem to find any info on this type of stuff for my truck specifically

Sorry for all the threads I can't seem to find any info on this type of stuff for my truck specifically
    Your running a 2wd slash correct?
    None of the systems are one truck specific, the best we can do is give educated opinions on what will work best for you.
    Nothing wrong with multiple threads for multiple questions.
    I as many others are happy to help, what is the information are you in need of which hasn't been presented yet?
    We're all here to help the best we can.

RC poster
    Would a novak system be faster then the 4700kv sidewinder the novaks are sensored I have not seen anything about novak systems

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    You keep asking what is "faster". Are you just bashing, are you planning to race at a local track? Doing speed runs? as a general rule if all things are equal, a non sensored system will have more power (like castle stuff)and a sensored system will have much smoother throttle control(like novak for racing).

In my experience, the castle 4600 will be faster in top end than the 3800 on 2s, but just a little. The 5700 will be fastest of the 3 castle motors (on 2s)but will run very VERY hot if gearing for top speed.If you want top speed, the mmp 3800 (3s) and mmp 2400(4s) will be the cream of the crop in the parking lot.

The sidewinder esc with the 3800 will perform just fine on 2s. With the 4600, the sidewinder will run very warm, and could really use a fan on it on hot days. 3s with the sidewinder in a slash is playing with fire, as the esc will be pushed to its limits no matter what motor you use.

Novak has great racing systems, but only the most expensive 4wd sensored systems will compete for speed and overall power with the cheaper castle and hobbywing systems....
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Racer
    Keep in mind though that the 1/10 sidewinder is rated 2s max by castle
    slash 4wd upgraded

RC Qualifier
    I run the Sv3/5700kv on 3s in my LCG Slash. All been good so far geared 13/86. Seems to be the perfect set-up for me. No heat issues. Think I get about 40+ mph...Keeping traction is the main issue.

Quote Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
    I run the Sv3/5700kv on 3s in my LCG Slash. All been good so far geared 13/86. Seems to be the perfect set-up for me. No heat issues. Think I get about 40+ mph...Keeping traction is the main issue.
    Exactly, your geared 13/86, this is extremely low gearing and what needs to be to keep the heat at bay, also why castle doesn't recommend the 5700kv for the slash.
    Think I get about 40+ mph
    Its impossible to think we're going a certain speed, a gps or radar is the only way to really know our speeds, in fact your top 2s speed should be around 30mph, use this as a ruler.
    http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html.
    I agree with rag6, a decision on speed or all around performance is needed.

RC Qualifier
    Ok I know it's about 40-44Mph as I have had a GPS on it in the past. I had 60Mph with 18/76 but could not keep the truck on the floor or ran out of road before hitting full throttle..

I love the punch of 3s. As long as you dont have a digital trigger finger its controllable.
    Last edited by o0wiz0o; 09-14-2014 at 10:03 AM.

RC Qualifier
    with the calculator billy-bones linked to, the 5700 on 2s runs just as fast as the 3800 on 3s.

Quote Originally Posted by truggy buggy View Post
    with the calculator billy-bones linked to, the 5700 on 2s runs just as fast as the 3800 on 3s.
    Correct, however the 3800 has an open door on gearing options were the 5700 will soon over heat.
    I believe its been mentioned these motors produce rpm by voltage input, 1 volt on a 5700kv motor will produce 5700rpm (unloaded) and so on.
    Trick is higher kv motors dont have the torque to be geared as high as a lower kv motor.