Thread: 62 MPH T-Maxx

RC Champion

62 MPH T-Maxx

Its not as impressive of a speed as those E-Revos I have been reading about on here but not bad for a BB t-maxx with a torquer motor.

I actually had it shot with radar by my local PD a few weeks ago when I was parking lot testing. I just forgot to post it. Ran it today to show to some people and remember to make this thread.

Basically your fully modded T-maxx. Key speed components: 30 VG, CVEC pipe for larger displacement BB motors, Geared 22/36 (1/8 clutch), Phaltlines tires, S-maxx body for aerodynamics / weight, and DX3 with digital servos for control. Fully tweaked suspension for putting the power to the pavement, med compound tires, and my driving style. I like a MT a little loose.

I have tried to keep the truck as light and drivetrain light as smooth as possible and still maintain some durability. As the Plaltlines are little heavier that one would think, I would put running weight at 8 1/4 to 8 1/2 lbs.

The 30 VG is not a top end motor. It is made for torque but with the help of the CVEC and to the moon gearing it gets it down the road. 0 to 45-50 is quite quick. The last little bit takes some room as the motor starts to run out of steam at 30k rpms according to RCCA engine dyno. The engine is unmodded.

What is really strange is that I don't usually used and D/R in my steering. I had to set at 75% with those speeds.

I'll get some fresh pictures up in the next day or two of the truck.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Competitor
    Wow! im impessed Thats so cool and faster then some of the erevos. I need to see what my SM will do with the eb moded novarossi .28xrp.

RC Qualifier
    Thst is amazing. Pretty quick.
    4908x2
    MERV
    Slash4
    Slash2
    Creeper
    miniSlash

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    That's quite impressive, we want a video
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Champion
    where you live? wanna race my revo lol its only got the vzb in it. fully modded though
    V-Spec Revo, UE EXT Thunder SM

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand National
    That's quite impressive, we want a video
    I do have a Digital video camera collecting dust. IF you guys can talk my wife into shooting it you got yourself a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by newb-rookie
    where you live? wanna race my revo lol its only got the vzb in it. fully modded though
    I think you got it beat on the parking lot. Those V-specs put a nice torque numbers in the 30-40k range. The 30VG just drops off sharply at 30k.

Pictures:

Last edited by OCD RC; 08-03-2009 at 12:11 AM.
    Pay It Forward.

Quote Originally Posted by OCD RC
    I do have a Digital video camera collecting dust. IF you guys can talk my wife into shooting it you got yourself a deal.

I think you got it beat on the parking lot. Those V-specs put a nice torque numbers in the 30-40k range. The 30VG just drops off sharply at 30k.
    OCD RC show this to your wife.

Dear wife of OCD RC,
    It would be ever so kind of you to shoot your husbands incredible strength in operating radio control cars. Here at traxxas, we rave over nice remote control cars and we would love to see your husbands in action. It would really mean a lot to us if you pulled through on this time of need. We would really appreciate your time, your husband was just telling us how great of a wife you are and how you mean so much to him. I know you have a busy schedule, and you may not be able to fit this into your day but we really would like for you to do so. You are an incredible person, and I hope you can put consideration into this. Thank you for being you, your the best filmer.
    With all regards, thank you so very much. With much love ~

Brady
    (Grand National)

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand National
    OCD RC show this to your wife.

Dear wife of OCD RC,
    It would be ever so kind of you to shoot your husbands incredible strength in operating radio control cars. Here at traxxas, we rave over nice remote control cars and we would love to see your husbands in action. It would really mean a lot to us if you pulled through on this time of need. We would really appreciate your time, your husband was just telling us how great of a wife you are and how you mean so much to him. I know you have a busy schedule, and you may not be able to fit this into your day but we really would like for you to do so. You are an incredible person, and I hope you can put consideration into this. Thank you for being you, your the best filmer.
    With all regards, thank you so very much. With much love ~

Brady
    (Grand National)

On second though I think I will try to get me brother in law to shoot for me. I forgot that the loud noise as well as the fumes are not good for the not-yet-born child still growing inside. I have never edited / uploaded a video but how hard can it be.

I'll leave this up for her she will think its funny and may comment herself. We'll see....
    Last edited by OCD RC; 08-03-2009 at 12:15 AM.
    Pay It Forward.

Quote Originally Posted by OCD RC
    On second though I think I will try to get me brother in law to shoot for me. I forgot that the loud noise as well as the fumes are not good for the not-yet-born child still growing inside. I have never edited / uploaded a video but how hard can it be.

I'll leave this up for her she will think its funny and may comment herself. We'll see....
    Oh heck no!
    Don't put your wife out there when shes pregnant you bad father
    That is a sharp looking maxx.
    And I want those white arms.

RC Champion
    very nice truck man. i gotta get me some of them wheels. im setup for offroad. got the rpm clawz rims with mashers. those things look like pizza cutters when it hits second. lol
    V-Spec Revo, UE EXT Thunder SM

Quote Originally Posted by newb-rookie
    very nice truck man. i gotta get me some of them wheels. im setup for offroad. got the rpm clawz rims with mashers. those things look like pizza cutters when it hits second. lol
    NICE!!!!

RC Champion
    This is Eric's wife...I am the best wife ever and under any other circumstances I would film him but I am 7 1/2 months pregnant. I did offer to film from far away with the zoom but I know that the level of quality that you guys would want to appreciate his fine vehicle would depreciate.

We are having a boy so there should be plenty of video documenting our child's introduction into the world of R/C, though he will not be ready for something of this caliber for quite some time.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Competitor
    Boy that truck looks pretty light. Whats the weight. Do you have the suspension droped any for the high speed runs. What ratio gears in the tranny wide, middle or close metal or plastic ?.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolemar
    Boy that truck looks pretty light. Whats the weight. Do you have the suspension droped any for the high speed runs. What ratio gears in the tranny wide, middle or close metal or plastic ?.
    ...As the Plaltlines are little heavier that one would think, I would put running weight at 8 1/4 to 8 1/2 lbs.

Stock 4909 transmission with wide ratio and FOC. 22/36 gearing.

The suspension is actually not much difference than off road running. I just more the lower shock mounts to the furthest outside holes and let most of the preload off. A lighter truck does not need as high of spring rate / dampering. There is quite a bit of body roll. This makes the truck more forgiving and makes the most of the med. compound tires.

When a vehicle turns at speed it will do one of three things, slide, traction roll (flip over), or turn correctly. If i were to put grippier tires (like road rages) it would roll. If I were to lower and stiffen the suspension with the Phaltlines It would slide all over the place. Now if I could really drop the suspension (lower the CG) and stiffer springs and stickier tires it would turn faster and tigher. That will make the truck less forgiving and twitchier. Also the Phaltlines are the only tire I have found that will maitain a good contact path at high speeds (minimal ballooning.)
    Last edited by OCD RC; 08-03-2009 at 02:39 PM.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Qualifier
    you could always put a sway bar on the rear to help it from doing the traction roll.here's a couple of pic's with mine installed..

The brackets i made to hold the sway bar to the bulks

Works pretty good!!!
    REVO w/OS.21tm in your face
    Miss Vegas w/go.18

I'm amazed the stock diffs are holding up to that BB with that gearing.....

Looks like a screamer though.....
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

Eric, you have one great wife.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught
    I'm amazed the stock diffs are holding up to that BB with that gearing.....

Looks like a screamer though.....

I do have the sealed revo spec diffs and a not so tight slipper. The 22/36 gearings also turns driveline shreadding torque into speed. The downside to high power and tall gearing is that really wears clutches. Lately all I do is run my electrics so the Onroad maxx isn't getting much wheel time. Less thatn 10 tanks on this setup since the build almost a year ago.

I got a weight on my truck today, full running weight no fuel.. 8lb 14 oz. Keep in mind that those phaltlines are heavy (38.1 oz for 4). With a swap of the phaltlines to Crimefighters MT brings the truck to 8lb 2.5 oz and with a swap back to stock driveshafts will bring it to 8 lbs.

No doubt with a few part swaps and if Proline makes a 4.0 road rage I could have a 7.25 lbs 2WD BB truck.
    Last edited by OCD RC; 08-03-2009 at 05:07 PM.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Champion
    I do hope to get that video shot this weekend. my camera man is suppose to come over.

Just out of curiosity how much do you guys (the regulars that know thier stuff) think this truck is worth with and without electronics?

Engines is 2 tanks into gallon #3. I do have the other 4 powerstroke as well.
    Pay It Forward.

Sad to say but Like most, its probably worth more parted out.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

Since many advertise their worn out TMAXX's as just 1 gallon through it and electronics are like new then sell it and it's actually a worn out hunk of parts it really hurts the used selling price.

without the electronics I would say $100.00

Snook is right, your better parting it out and selling it.
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught
    Since many advertise their worn out TMAXX's as just 1 gallon through it and electronics are like new then sell it and it's actually a worn out hunk of parts it really hurts the used selling price.

without the electronics I would say $100.00

Snook is right, your better parting it out and selling it.

I just though about selling it and going total electric. I will give it that every nitro truck in ebay "has less than 1 gallon thru it"... Sure. I know that I don't abuse a motor (I have 9 gallons on a 3.3 I got in 06' and still runs) but eBay is a different world. You guys are right about breaking it up though. I have been offered north of 100 for the chassis on here. Prohobby chassis are top knotch and fetch UE prices. I have seen the powerstroke go over 100 on auction this year. Besides with the economy everyone is selling thier trucks driving prices down.

I did forget to get that video shot but I will try again this week.
    Last edited by OCD RC; 08-11-2009 at 04:53 AM.
    Pay It Forward.