Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Max Temp?

  1. #1
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    646

    Question Max Temp?

    What is the highest my temps should get?
    Slash 4x4 VXL
    Mini Revo VXL
    Rustler VXL
    Micro-T

  2. #2
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by E-REVOdreamer
    What is the highest my temps should get?

    on what?? ESC or motor??

  3. #3
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    2SON AZ
    Posts
    190
    What was the highest they did get? That should be the question.
    Jammin' Nitro Truggy 1/8
    Slash 1/10
    Slash 1/16

  4. #4
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,114
    Quote Originally Posted by E-REVOdreamer
    What is the highest my temps should get?

    You will thermal the ESC between 160-165 degrees. Any brushless motor you want to keep it under 200 degrees. Any brushed motor under 160.
    Keep flex'in those forum keyboard muscles.

  5. #5
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    2SON AZ
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by got_nitro
    You will thermal the ESC between 160-165 degrees. Any brushless motor you want to keep it under 200 degrees. Any brushed motor under 160.
    IMO 160-165 is as hot as you should go. Even that's a little toasty. I know that Traxxas manual says 200, but I would't want it to get there. IMO motor damage starts around 170-175, and gets worse with more heat. Yes, the motor will still work, but you are definately shortening it's life span.
    Jammin' Nitro Truggy 1/8
    Slash 1/10
    Slash 1/16

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanman11
    IMO 160-165 is as hot as you should go. Even that's a little toasty. I know that Traxxas manual says 200, but I would't want it to get there. IMO motor damage starts around 170-175, and gets worse with more heat. Yes, the motor will still work, but you are definately shortening it's life span.

    160-165 on the ESC yes. Thats when it will go into thermal protection and cut out.

    Heat really does not effect the neodymium magnets (the kind you have in your motor) untill it reaches above 200 degrees and in some cases "myself" I have gotten motors in the 240's and they were still fine.

    Once heat does it's toll on a magnet "demagnetizes it" the motor becomes less efficient and will create more heat in the process causing futher damage.
    Keep flex'in those forum keyboard muscles.

  7. #7
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ontario,Canada eh!
    Posts
    1,166
    Quote Originally Posted by got_nitro
    160-165 on the ESC yes. Thats when it will go into thermal protection and cut out.

    Heat really does not effect the neodymium magnets (the kind you have in your motor) untill it reaches above 200 degrees and in some cases "myself" I have gotten motors in the 240's and they were still fine.

    Once heat does it's toll on a magnet "demagnetizes it" the motor becomes less efficient and will create more heat in the process causing futher damage.

    +10 for that post
    RC RUNS IN MY BLOOD!

    R
    E
    V
    O

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •