RC Qualifier

Exclamation Tires Ain't Purdy... - Sand in my tires...

Well...

My buddy had this problem (with a Revo) a few weeks ago, but I kinda thought he was crazy.

I don't recall seeing a thread about it, so I decided I would post one up.

Here in FL, we have a lot of what is called "sugar sand". Basically it's super fine sand, and it's pretty much EVERYWHERE.

At any rate, I noticed yesterday my tires (Slash) are FULL of sand making them hard as a ROCK!!! It must get in via the vent holes, and then it just fills up the tire until it becomes solid.

This presents a couple of issues, it throws the tire weight off like crazy, adds weight, and it causes the tire to wear harder.

I wound up boiling them all four off, and I would bet there was a good half ounce of sand it each tire. It was also not doing the foams any good.

So, basically, if you have been running in fine sand, you might want to check your tires...

From what I understand the Revo's are even worse because they have larger vents or something on the back side.

My friend tried to silicone his vents, and I don't know if this worked on his Revo, but I am going to try it on my Slash, and I will just poke a few holes in the tire with a sewing needle to allow for venting.

I would have taken photos, but it was late and I was tired. I just wanted to get it back together so I could possibly run it tonight or hopefully this weekend.

The good news is that while I had the tires off, I painted my wheels just because I could.
    Ur wife called. She said buy anything U want!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SirPsycho
    Well...
    At any rate, I noticed yesterday my tires (Slash) are FULL of sand making them hard as a ROCK!!! It must get in via the vent holes, and then it just fills up the tire until it becomes solid.

hahahahha I LOLed so hard just then... very funny!
    GARAGE
    e-revo, ME-revo, micro-t, slash, DX3S

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by concreat
    hahahahha I LOLed so hard just then... very funny!
    ummmm do you think i'm joking?

RC Champion
    awww man tough break....i dont know wat to say
    RC RUNS IN MY BLOOD!

R
    E
    V
    O

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Happened to me, i just unglued them(easy to unglue from factory..), clean them, then reglue the tires,

then just put some tape, i used masking tape, on the venting holes, and do a tiny hole with the end of a knife, so the air can make is way out and in....

I have had no problem since. except if you run in water may be find a better tape than masking tape...
    World fastest E-revo 91.2mph / Revo 75mph
    ABmods

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Over_revO
    Happened to me, i just unglued them(easy to unglue from factory..), clean them, then reglue the tires,

then just put some tape, i used masking tape, on the venting holes, and do a tiny hole with the end of a knife, so the air can make is way out and in....

I have had no problem since. except if you run in water may be find a better tape than masking tape...
    I have vinyl... that should work...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SirPsycho
    ummmm do you think i'm joking?
    no its just funny!
    GARAGE
    e-revo, ME-revo, micro-t, slash, DX3S

RC Qualifier
    Not sure why it's funny, but ya, mine filled up with water and sand after going through a huge puddle a few times, won't doing that again any time soon.
    1/16 Revo
    X-60
    X-6

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by xtraman122
    Not sure why it's funny, but ya, mine filled up with water and sand after going through a huge puddle a few times, won't doing that again any time soon.
    i dont really see why it's funny either...

but yeah it really stinks... im staying away from water to, and im gonna seal up the tires