RC Enthusiast

Revo at the beach.. and the outcome.

Yes, I know it was stupid of me.

But boy, was it fun.

The Revo is my first RC car ever, so I was excited to take it the beach Monday night. And it tore thru everything: soft sand, hard sand, piled up sand, and even the ocean water on the shore.

I had about 14 mins of good run time until I noticed a huge wave submerged (wasnt the first time) the revo. After that, I noticed the car wouldnt throttle... just jitter/stutter.

I washed it with fresh water, and returned home. I disassembled it lightly and took it out in the streets. It was running fine, except for some slight jittering/stuttering at a certain percentage of the throttle, around 20/30 percent.

This annoyed me and I read the manual on cleaning after water use. This is where I learned what salt water could do to this thing and I was worried. So I disassembled everything.....wd-40'd every moving part, opened the reciever, transmission, etc. and stripped it down to its chassis.

So now I'm at the point where I've just clean the reciever, motor, servo, and ESC. Those are the only parts on the chassis right now. I hooked up the battery and reprogramed the ESC. I tested out to see if it stuttered/jitter still but it seems like it is a little bit. It's hard to tell if it will still do it when its fully assembled but my question is, what do u guys think is causing the stuttering/jittering? I thought maybe it was differentials (which were dirty, need to re-grease them), but testing it in this stripped down state... I'm starting to think its the ESC. The reciever, servo and transmission were not/or weren't that dirty. Any thoughts?

I still haven't opened the ESC but I think I might do that.

Thanks

brian

RC Qualifier
    firstly, OMG did you read the manual. it plainly states, that it is not fully water proof and do not run it in salt water.

and you have probably stuffed you esc and motor, by getting salt in them. cause salt slightly conducts electricity.
    GARAGE
    e-revo, ME-revo, micro-t, slash, DX3S

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by concreat
    firstly, OMG did you read the manual. it plainly states, that it is not fully water proof and do not run it in salt water.

and you have probably stuffed you esc and motor, by getting salt in them. cause salt slightly conducts electricity.
    More than just slightly, its one of the best conductors out there.
    Clean it out more, if you have one of those little water pic things you use to clean teeth or feed medicine to small animals, try that out too.
    The motor might have gotten some salt in it, not sure how to clean that out though.

RC Qualifier
    haha well I guess you can upgrade now lol
    keep your mouth closed and let your eyes listen

RC Enthusiast
    I plugged in the battery in its stripped out state, and everything seems to run fine.

I opened the ESC, just some slight grains of sand.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Spray some denatured alcohol on your electronics or dip them in it. Denatured alcohol leaves no residual residue on them. Blow them out with compressed air after your done.
    Keep flex'in those forum keyboard muscles.

RC Qualifier
    ocean salt water and electronics = bad ... but yes, do what got_nitro says.