RC Competitor

My servo died but it was tricky to diagnose

My Mini Revo is about two weeks old and I run 2 cell lipo in parallel. It was running fine one day and then it stopped mid-way through a battery. Then the car would not turn on anymore.

When I press the button on the ESC, it would just blink red very faintly. I charged the batteries and let it cool down etc, etc and nothing changed. I emailed Traxxas support and we finally agreed to an RMA number to have the ESC shipped back.

But when I took the ESC off, I tried it in another car and it worked. The receiver worked too. As it turns out, my servo was dead and whenever I plugged it into the receiver, the receiver and ESC would die. So I think the servo is shorted and is the culprit.

I just wanted to give everyone the heads up since this was a tricky one for me and could have wasted a lot of time if I sent the ESC in.

fc

RC Champion
    Good job!
    Looks like spent some time on this one.
    Thanks for sharing....
    "Where were going there are no roads."

RC Racer
    im not trying to be a prick, but if you had searched this forum, you'd have found others (including myself) that have already been through this same exact problem.

on another note though, i'm glad that you didnt end-up wasting time on sending in the ESC for no results.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RokeyLounge
    im not trying to be a prick, but if you had searched this forum, you'd have found others (including myself) that have already been through this same exact problem.

on another note though, i'm glad that you didnt end-up wasting time on sending in the ESC for no results.

Good tip Rokey. I did search for 'esc problem' just now and did find this thread in the mix: http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=483834. It's got the right info.

I was in communication though with Traxxas tech support almost immediately and I wish they steered me in the right direction. Oh well, I gave them all the info and maybe they can use it in the future as well.

fc

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by dtnel
    And traxxas support didn't say nothing about running 2 lipo in parrallel or is that in series they don't want you to run lipo ?
    2 lipos in parallel is perfectly acceptable. Essentially, you're just doubling the MAH rating of the battery, voltage and C rating is the same.

fc