RC Competitor

Rhino lipo's and stock E-REVO VXL

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in regarding a battery experience over the weekend....I got a handful of Rhino 2S lipo's (very well made, nicely packaged) and 2 of them in parallel makes the little guy SCREAM!! I don't have a GPS small enough to fit to get a MPH reading, but it has to be approaching the advertised 50MPH, or maybe it is closer to 45MPH and just seems faster becauser it is so small. The 2S 1750 packs fit snuggly in the battery compartments with no Dremel'ing necessary.
    I ran for about 10 minutes on pavement, turning hard, fast take-offs (no wheelies ), semi-hard stops...after 10 mins I could still hold my fingers on the motor (didn't have my temp gun but was prob around 100F) and the ESC and batteries were ambient temperature. I had to quit after 10 mins (Mother Nature).
    I also got 4 Rhino 3S 1500's...they are very snug!...I will give an update when I try them asap (weather permitting)

RC Champion
    Hmm , you should be able too wheelie on command with the 2s batteries till about 20 mph , the 3s will wheelie at 40+ !
    At WARN 80% and climbing !

RC Competitor
    I meant to say I didn't do wheelies on purpose, because my LHS doesn't have any spare parts for either of the 1/16's and I didn't want to be without it over the weekend

RC poster
    Very interesting of your return on your lipo 3S Rhino 1550 when you will test them on the little guy !

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by strykerpilot66
    I meant to say I didn't do wheelies on purpose, because my LHS doesn't have any spare parts for either of the 1/16's and I didn't want to be without it over the weekend

Ah , I see ! Wait till you run those 3s
    At WARN 80% and climbing !

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by strykerpilot66
    Just wanted to put my 2 cents in regarding a battery experience over the weekend....I got a handful of Rhino 2S lipo's (very well made, nicely packaged) and 2 of them in parallel makes the little guy SCREAM!! I don't have a GPS small enough to fit to get a MPH reading, but it has to be approaching the advertised 50MPH, or maybe it is closer to 45MPH and just seems faster becauser it is so small. The 2S 1750 packs fit snuggly in the battery compartments with no Dremel'ing necessary.
    I ran for about 10 minutes on pavement, turning hard, fast take-offs (no wheelies ), semi-hard stops...after 10 mins I could still hold my fingers on the motor (didn't have my temp gun but was prob around 100F) and the ESC and batteries were ambient temperature. I had to quit after 10 mins (Mother Nature).
    I also got 4 Rhino 3S 1500's...they are very snug!...I will give an update when I try them asap (weather permitting)
    you shouldnt really need a small GPS to get a speed on it, i have a GARMIN nuvi and actually after reading this thread decided id go look at it to see if i can actually record a top speed and thankfully i can i would imagine just for one run i can get it under the shell and if not maybe strap it to the back. its just one speed run and if your careful and dont want to flip doing aroung 50 or so the GPS should be ok afterwards
    what was that? what was what..oh that. thats mine.

I have those same batterys for my mini slash and i dremmeled out a little from the battery cover so those super thick wires can come out without bending the battery lid closed......

RC Qualifier
    If the GPS is small, you could always mount it right in front of the wing on the back of the body. At least if you do flip the wing might be able to protect it sufficiently.
    HPI Savage LOSI Mini/MicroT, MRC Traxxas Revo VXL

RC Competitor
    I can't do 4S!?!? (2x2S 1750 in series) ....when I turn it on it blinks red/green/red/green/etc. So I guess the best you can do is 3S x2 in parallel?
    Oh well, 3S was light-speed, and probably would have done 60MPH if I hadn't run out of road!
    Must head to airport tomorrow, airport tomorrow, airport tomorrow............

Re: 3S x 2 parallel ....... <huge grin> WOW, WOW, WOW, 10 mins hard running on pavement, powerslides, snuck in a few wheelies, pretty much gave it a good workout....motor was 122F immediately after stopping, and ESC just barely warm to the touch. I wanted to keep playing but it got dark

I say again, WOW, WOWWOWWOWWOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by strykerpilot66; 07-13-2009 at 11:16 PM.

RC Competitor
    Yeah boli, good call on the Dremel...I can get the doors closed but all the pressure may eventually wear out those heavy-gage wires where they enter the pack.

Man, that is disappointing!! I thought for sure I could do 2x2S in series, anyone have an idea why?

Nevermind, finally found a post that explained this....I guess I have to "trick" the ESC to get it to work, but probably shouldn't do it too long...maybe a couple speed runs.
    Last edited by strykerpilot66; 07-13-2009 at 11:30 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I think you need to turn off the Lipo protection feature. People who have been running 4s have been using the NiMH mode. Just make sure you do not run down the batteries past their safe zone.
    HPI Savage LOSI Mini/MicroT, MRC Traxxas Revo VXL