RC Qualifier

CVD's really worth $60 bucks?

I am interested in the steel CVD's, but when I looked them up, they cost $60.00!!! What makes these little steel rods so special? Are they really worth $60 bucks?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXKU6

I am still an RC noob, so I am trying to figure out the advantages of CVD's, and get your opinion on the starting price.

Thanks,

Nate.
    [QUOTE=Corrijo]Welcome to the crazed family of summit owners.[/QUOTE]

RC Qualifier
    That seems about right for price wise...
    Its all the driveshafts and center driveshafts right... so thats 6.. so about $8-9 a piece for each item.
    Peeps are in business to make money... its not charity work.
    I dont care for the high prices either... but what can you do.

I guess look on ebay and pay a lil bit lower... but not much.

Id say, spend that money on batteries. The stock shafts are fine enuff.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Voltage
    That seems about right for price wise...
    Its all the driveshafts and center driveshafts right... so thats 6.. so about $8-9 a piece for each item.
    Peeps are in business to make money... its not charity work.
    I dont care for the high prices either... but what can you do.

I guess look on ebay and pay a lil bit lower... but not much.

Id say, spend that money on batteries. The stock shafts are fine enuff.
    The CVD's are not the center drive shafts. You get the 4 "CVD's" for the $60 bucks..

OP, CVD's or cups-n-bones are very old in the RC world. One of the main reasons some like to "upgrade" to them (if you would call it that) is for the less rotating mass and much easier to work on and take off the truck.
    Keep flex'in those forum keyboard muscles.

RC Enthusiast
    I think its worth it if you play on the street a lot. So far i haven't had any problems on the dirt at all but when i'm on the street and do back flips from a dead stop my axles pop out almost every time.
    i'm just happy that this revo has so much power out of the box because i can do back flips from a slow roll and no problems with my axles.

I plan on picking up a set of CVD's as soon as they are available.

RC Qualifier
    Oh, so they are old news then? Hmm, I guess I will stick to the stock ones then.

Thanks,

Nate.
    [QUOTE=Corrijo]Welcome to the crazed family of summit owners.[/QUOTE]

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by iMotion
    So far i haven't had any problems on the dirt at all but when i'm on the street and do back flips from a dead stop my axles pop out almost every time.

What are you talking about "axels poping out"? Pop out of what the carrier? How is that possible?

RC Qualifier
    My popped out the other day too when I did a standing back-flip. The little ball that attaches the half-shaft to the axle. I could not find the metal ball. Fun was over, at least for the day

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Carguy
    My popped out the other day too when I did a standing back-flip. The little ball that attaches the half-shaft to the axle. I could not find the metal ball. Fun was over, at least for the day
    Same thing happened to me. the first time i ran my Revo i was too hard on the throttle so for every 2 minutes of run time i have 5-10 minutes of looking for the shaft and that little ball. Its okay now as long as i do my back flips from a slow roll.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carguy
    I guess thats better than snapping a bone and having it shoot into the side of a 1.1 car OOPS did i just sat that?...

IMO nothing is better than the stock sliders. Wait till a bone pops out of a cup for a split second and then pops back in, talk about damage. Also, i assume that you cant just buy one CVD either so you would be stuck buying a whole new set if you wanted to replace the one/them...

RC Racer
    I don't think the new cvd's can pop out during use. I had some similar ones on my jato and they never gave me any problems. Was racing tonight and I had a shaft pop off of the metal ball thing in the front, so I had 2wd for the last 3 minutes in the main...ahhhhh...
    typing 1st amendment gets you 60% helping ppl 0%

RC Qualifier
    If you break stock, the Steel ones are worth the $ they cost. I wont change to metal ones until i break my stockers..

But yes, they are worth the cost.
    Stampede 4x4 4s | Stampede 4x4 1/12

RC Qualifier
    Hey all. New to this forum. I have been having a blast with my mini Revo last couple of weeks and I decided to join the forum. So far my driveshfts have held up on 4S but I will be getting the CVD's as soon as they come available. I use the Traxxas ones on my big Revos with big blocks and they stand up to the punishment very well. If they are anything like the ones for the big revo they will be worth evry cent. Oh and I LOVE doing back flips in this thing.
    BASH. BREAK. FIX. REPEAT. ALWAYS REPEAT.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think im going to have to scoop up a set as well being that they probably wont have the problems with the bones slipping out of the cups. There is no way to adjust the pushrods in the a-arms hence no popping out..

I have had some pop out of my 10th revo even with the extended rear cups, we'll see what happens these tho..

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SummitCrazed!
    Oh, so they are old news then? Hmm, I guess I will stick to the stock ones then.

Thanks,

Nate.
    Old news as in people have been using them for a very long time.

It is one of the first things people upgrade on most cars. (or used to)

They are stronger than the stock plastic which people have snapped.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by klaze
    Old news as in people have been using them for a very long time.

It is one of the first things people upgrade on most cars. (or used to)

They are stronger than the stock plastic which people have snapped.
    Old news as in thats all RC manufactures used to use/make on/for there cars.
    IMO using CVD's you have a greater chance for error. When you snap a bone your done unless you have another set of CVD's to put on. You cant doctor up a CVD with shrink wrap. They are not stronger than the plastic sliders, they are about the same with less rotating mass.

You might be talking about the universal joints (metal balls with 4 pins sticking out in a cross pattern) on the stock drive shafts widening the holes in the ears of the driveshafts and then poping out.