RC Racer

Battery question

I know this maybe a popular question. But what is the proper way to leave a battery when not used. I have been told that when I am done running my slash that I should recharge the battery and let it sit. But why do alot of chargers say that they discharge batterys? Is that what you are supposed to do? I have a reedy 3400 Nimh battery. and looking to eventually move to lipo, but like to know how to properly maintain my batterys first. I have an onyx 230 charger is it a good one?

RC Champion
    yes the onyx 230 is an awesome charger to charge lipo and nimh. now if you are running it and when the batt is out of food and if you are going to be driving it in a day or 2 you do not need to do anything but if you are not going to be driving for 8 or 9 days or more charge it up to 40 to 80% charge and then your batt will be fine for 3 to 5 months when the 3 to 5 months are up you will need to charge it to 40 or 80% again

if you have a Q JUST pm me
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slash
    yes the onyx 230 is an awesome charger to charge lipo and nimh. now if you are running it and when the batt is out of food and if you are going to be driving it in a day or 2 you do not need to do anything but if you are not going to be driving for 8 or 9 days or more charge it up to 40 to 80% charge and then your batt will be fine for 3 to 5 months when the 3 to 5 months are up you will need to charge it to 40 or 80% again

if you have a Q JUST pm me
    Charging it every 3 to 5 weeks is more like it. Nihm batteries discharge pretty quick sitting unused.
    2 Stock Slashes
    2 Mod Slash VXLs
    Emaxx
    P4DE

RC Racer
    I was told to store them discharged. Seems that would make sense considering they are dead when you buy them... And how long are they on the shelf at the store right?

Is this wrong?

No, don't store Ni-Mh battery packs discharged. They have self discharging properties, so they can actually over discharge themselves if they sit too long without being charged.

How often you need to charge them depends on the batteries. I always store my Ni-Mh cells fully charged. I have read that some battery builders recommend topping off the packs as often as every two weeks (for today's higher end cells). My older GP3300's, however, can go 4-6 weeks easy and never come close to over discharging themselves. Like I said, it depends greatly on the batteries.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Racer
    So for clarity, using my Series 3 Traxxas 7-cell batteries, I should store them around 40-60% charge?

What about day to day usage and partial discharge? For instance, I run one battery to approx 50%. Should I drain it before I recharge it to full? Years ago I remember having to drain my battery using an old headlight before I recharged it.

I'm also using a Dynamite Vision Peak 2 charger, if it matter regarding recharging a partially charged battery

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/2...sbatteries.jpg
    http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/1...erycharger.jpg
    Dru

Just give them a full charge when you're ready to store them.

You don't have to discharge Ni-Mh cells before they are recharged. The batteries you had back in the day were likely Ni-Cd cells.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Racer
    So is it only that lipo batteries that have to be dischagrged before storing or do they not have to be discharged either? Also how does the balancer plug on lipo batteries work is that for charging or running purposes.

RC Champion
    I dont think its a good idea to store a fully discharged Nimh pack. Because they're in pack...one of them might be discharged more than the rest of the cells on the pack.This weaker one can be 'charged' by the stronger cell on the pack causing it to reverse the polarity. That's why nimh discharger only recommends no lower than 0.8 volt per cell. If you have 7 cells, than the recommended discharge voltage is 0.8 x 7, or 5.6 volt. I've always given my nimh packs a full charge before storage.

As for lipos, it's a good idea to charge them at about 50% capacity before storage I think. The balancer works to level out the voltage of each cell during charge,so you get maximum peak voltage on each cell without overcharging them.
    Last edited by Out of Sight; 07-10-2009 at 07:51 AM.
    Myth busted: Blitz is not faster on the track.

RC poster
    what if you store the battery fully charge, the next day do you have to recharge it to have full power or is best to use it and dont re-recharge it?

RC Racer
    Revived three years later

NiMH definitely needs to be topped off for peak performance. It won't hurt to top off a LiPo one day later but it is completely unnecessary since they are very low self-discharge. Just don't store LiPo's fully charged long term or you will shorten their life.