RC Qualifier

Anyone else have this prob?

Not too interested in using this truck for high speed blasts, so I went to put in a lower gear to use for some jumps I had setup.

This is when I found out my prob... the set screw on the pinion gear is stuck to either the gear itself or the motor shaft.

Bummer! This happnd to me with my Rustler VXL... im beginning to think its me. But how could it be, I know the rules on how all this stuff works. Righty tighty, left loosey!!!!!!!!!!!!

So now what to do? Do I send it in?... im sure that'll be minimum of a week or so... could be alot longer. Use super glue on the 1.5mm allen wrench to glue it in the set screw and hopefully get a good bite on it to back it out. Or do as I had to do with my Rustler gear and use a drill it free it from the shaft.

Thanks for any insight.

RC Qualifier
    I wonder if there isn't a lubricant you could use? I have a small punch that I use for that problem. Stick the point in and lightly tap it. That worked for me. Maybe take it to your lhs if you have one. I know alot of people buy stuff on-line and that's fine but it's things like this that keeps me making EVERY purchase from my lhs. Nice to have a local hand up when you can't find a solution. Funny thing is I have been there and have watched people say I bought this on line because it was cheaper can you fix it. Amazing the nerve some people have. Any way good luck.

RC Qualifier
    You may wanna do a forum search. I saw a thread on this last week and the guys with this problem did solve it. I think they said they heated up the pinon with their sodering iron and it broke loose. Hope this helps. If I find the thread I'll post it here
    free track. need tucson racers. PM me

not only do the search but I would make sure that you are using a good hex driver the one's they send with the kit are crap.... and I have heard some people use tissue paper inbetween the hex and the screw and then it fills the gap and bam is off......

RC Qualifier
    All really good tips.... thanks!
    I'll give that tissue paper trick a try and then if not, that soldering iron sounds like a good idea.

I shoulda just let it be, but no, and now im focused on the stupid screw too much and need it resolved.
    What are the odds I get the worker who overtightens the grub screw on the kits twice... sheesh lol

Off to give it a go

RC Enthusiast
    I've had a simillar problem, i can get the screw out of the pinion gear but i can't get the gear of the motor shaft

RC Champion
    Get a good precision allen wrench , heat the set screw on the pinion with the soldering iron (becareful not too heat it up too much as you could damage the motor) then try and un loosen it with the driver .

If that doesnt work the you will have to drill it .
    At WARN 80% and climbing !

Boone722
    It's can be caused by a cheap hex driver.It strips out every time.Try a quality driver it just might turn it !!! Or you coulld drill it out.BUT be very careful,you could damage the shaft.I have drilled them out with success.Good luck keep us posted.

RC Qualifier
    Oh yeah, I've been down the drill it out alley before and I aint goin back!

Its nots stripping the head at all, its got a good bite. Its just not budging what so ever.
    I tried the tissue paper in the head, good idea and made it ver snugg, but it didint get the job done even with a slip on wrench over the allen wrench for more torque.
    Also tried the soldering iron, over 100 watts, and got no where too.
    How long a time should i leave that on there... i had the motor getting too warm and said to heck with it... dont wanna create another prob.

Not in any rush to do so since I just got it and Im still waiting on my other pack, but I'll be sending it in for service. It was torture last time I had to do this on a vxl motor off my rustler and I'd rather Traxxas take care of their own misshap.
    I appreciate all the tips and tricks.

GD set SCREW!!!!!!! lol

RC Competitor
    I had the same problem. I used a heat gun on the pinion trying to avoid the motor. It was super tight but it came loose.
    Revo 3.3