RC Qualifier

Summit 4 wheel steer success!

3rd revision and this time I believe Ive got it. The wheel slop seems about equal to the front, bump steer has disappeared, the wheels seem to be turning about the same. I got one run on it so far and at full speed, rear steer centered, i can full turn on top ride hight and big Joe tires without it flipping, but it turns tighter due to a bit more wheel slop in the rear. I got my dx6i set up as rear steer rudder, which turns on/off by rudder switch. Throttle as throttle but took elevator return spring and put it on throttle side. front steer as aileron, with a switch to turn on 4ws mix and a switch for crabwalk mix. gearbox high low on gear switch. for now i y harnessed my diff locking servos, but will be modding TX for 3postion switch in place of elevator for use of tlock controller. and for my lights i just ordered a PicoSwitch so i can turn them on/off from my TX. in my previous try's i had terrible bump steer, massive wheel slop(very unstable truck that couldn't go straight or stay on its wheels), and wheels turning at different rates, excited that i have fixed the problems and can test it out in all applications. ill try and do pic's vids, parts list, setup/build guide. I'm thinking about putting a pistol TX wheel in place of the aileron stick to steer with if steering proves to be to hard, but it seemed 10fold easier, since i moved my throttle from the elevator stick to the throttle stick, so will see. Keep an eye for more stuff on this mod.
    T8 sensored/Xerun-150a/custom chassis/fit body

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like a very successful project, thanks for sharing, looking forward to
    seeing the Video and the write-up as well...

Happy 4th of JULY.

RC Qualifier
    big jump= bent, will try thicker alum.

RC Qualifier
    I'm really looking forward to more details on this. I'm currently planning how I'm going to do it and I'm stuck on the radio selection (I'm counting on you for the steering details ). I've only used the Traxxas Tx and Rx and don't know anything about selecting a radio. I'm reading up on the subject.

I'm considering this 6 channel stick radio. I don't think it's exactly what I want, but it's $33 for a 2.4GHz Tx and Rx. The reviews at other sites say it works great for flying. I'm also considering this 9 channel stick radio. It's more expensive, but 9 channels would be great.

RC Qualifier
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=475312
    check that out it give a few pics and vids of the 4ws, that is pretty much what my v3 4ws looked like, a few alumimum lenghts were differnt but thats about it.

for the radios, it be nice to have trim, epa, mix's, 3position switch, im going to use all 6 channels on my truck, but i cant think of what else id do if i had more channels, depending on the radio you can do more or less on a 6 channel then another brand 6channel.

RC Qualifier
    any updates on the project?
    Tekin 4ws Summit
    G2R, ERBE, BB
    Use common sense

RC Qualifier

i burnt the picoswitch
    the t-lock controler wasn't compatiable with that radio
    havent tested this latest revision much but it works, trucks been in repairs/mods/updgrades for months. she's getting close to together now.

RC Champion
    just wondering, could you not just wire in a relay for crab steering in high gear and 4ws in low gear? just to simplify things, maybe an inline switch to power off the rear actuator for locked rear wheels?

RC Enthusiast

put rock crusher's 40series on summit

what is the best way to power the tires. need something just a bit bigger then 775 motor. and what about lower the gears:::

RC Qualifier
    hmn, quadiak idk, im no expert in electronics.
    i would think you need power to the rear servo telling it to hold in the center postion

as far as a motor to power the 40 series rock crushers, lower the gearing will help as those tires are 1.5" taller. try swapping out the 775 for a 12v dewalt motor and that would work also.

RC Enthusiast
    does the 12v bolt right up what would i need to do to make it work

RC Qualifier
    well, not exacly. you must cut the pinion that comes on the 12v dewalt off, the stock 14t pinion will bolt up if you reverse it end for end, otherwise you'll need to make a spacer for between the motor mount and the motor, so your pinion can line up with the spur.

you'll need to make the 4mm holes in the motor mount longer as you'll see the dewalt mounts a little wider. also have 2 4mm screws. if you want detail and pic's do a search, they have a guide with links to the motor.