RC Racer

Chassis dying VS painting ?

What is the big difference between dying a chassis or just painting it? If you scratch it, wont it still possibly show the original color (gray)? Rit dye is made for fabric so how deep could it actually be penetrating plastic? Has anybody done a scratch test to see what kind of penetration they got with the dye? I am thinking of doing this during my rebuild but got to wondering how great it is over painting it. If I paint it, I have alot more custom possibilities. Then again maybe I wont bother doing either. If I leave it gray, atleast scratchs wont show so bad. Now I'm confused!

RC Qualifier
    It depends on how long you let it sit in the dye it will penetrate pretty deep. Paints probably going to scratch way easier and maybe even chip off. Dying is easier anyway IMO. Just get a big aluminum baking pan from your food store.
    what was that? what was what..oh that. thats mine.

RC Enthusiast
    any pix of one done

RC poster
    here is mine, you can search the forum "dying chasis black" as there is a few threads on the subject.

RC Qualifier
    Dying is way better. Paint chips and scratchs. The rit dye penitrates the plastic and it won't chip or scratch off. The dye soaks deep in the plastic depending how long you soak it. You can scratch the dyed chassis abd it's still black where you scratched it.
    SUMMIT- DeWalt, 4S
    SUMMV- 3S
    MERV- 3S

RC Competitor
    But I must ask, will the dye effect the durability/Plastic-construction-molecule-structure thingy?
    Because the dye penetrates the plastic.

RC Qualifier
    Actually no. It is sometimes suggested to boil a-arms and such regardless because it makes them a bit more flexible. I would imagine the chassis would the same thing.
    what was that? what was what..oh that. thats mine.

RC Competitor
    Ah, ok!
    Good point there!
    How is the dying done exactly? Hot water? Cold?
    Let it bath for how long?

RC Enthusiast
    ya i would like to know how you do it. and what kind off dye you use. it look's sweet

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxximus Prime
    Dying is way better. Paint chips and scratchs. The rit dye penitrates the plastic and it won't chip or scratch off. The dye soaks deep in the plastic depending how long you soak it. You can scratch the dyed chassis abd it's still black where you scratched it.
    Okay. You talked me into it. I'm dying as I'm typing this infact. Trying something different though with another color besides black. Black alone is too basic. Besides, everybody does black. Now that I've said that I sure hope this turns out or I'll be covering it over with black. LOL.

RC poster
    Swift06, you can check on Youtube also, there are quite a few videos there also. I used Rit Dy, ca gt at a Local Grocer Store, basically ya pour it into a pot of boiling water or for the chasis I picked up a cheap alluminum turkey pan, boiled the water in a tea pot, poured into the pan then added the dye and kept a low flame going under the pan. I' thinking a red chassis would look pretty cool.

RC Enthusiast
    how long do you leave in the dy.

RC Racer
    Well the deed is done and my new chassis is dyed. Went pretty well I'll have to say. Cant say I would go to all the trouble to do this unless you are replacing an entire chassis as I had to do. I dyed mine a deep burgandy and it looks sweet. Got exactly what I wanted. Something different than black, and I really like it better than the grey it use to be.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by swift06
    . I dyed mine a deep burgandy and it looks sweet. Got exactly what I wanted. Something different than black, and I really like it better than the grey it use to be.
    Picture please....I have made mine black and want a red/burgandy for my revo...

RC Racer
    Okay heres some pics. They probably wont do it justice. Hopefully they will show the color alright cause its kind of dark.

RC Qualifier
    cant see the pics
    I Need Wings For My Rusty!!!

RC Racer
    Somebody playing games with our pictures now?
    Here we'll try again.

Last edited by swift06; 04-01-2010 at 09:22 PM.