RC Champion

Glue removal from tires?

What's the best way to remove old glue from a set of tires?
    I removed these tires from a set of wheels (they wouldn't work on my Revo) and now there is glue on the tires.

These tires are brand new, I mounting them once and now have boiled them off the old rims and want to mount them on new rims.

Is it OK to soak the tires in Acetone overnight, without hurting the tires?
    "Where were going there are no roads."

RC Champion
    Would you really need to soak them? I would think just rubbing some acetone would work

RC Competitor
    acetone will not do anything to the tire nor the rim, but foam inserts melt in acetone

RC Qualifier
    Well it can affect the tire, it did for my Losi taperpins they went rock solid, but thats the only one for me...i have done , Proline and other losis they was great
    Stampede 4x4 4s | Stampede 4x4 1/12

RC Competitor
    Baking the tires is the best method to remove tires from wheels, it hardens the glue and then its is very easy to remove the tires.

Heat the oven up to 500 F. While the oven is heating up wrap the tires in aluminum foil. Once the oven is at 500 turn it off and put the tires in. Let them sit until the oven has cooled and the tires can be handled.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by John H
    Baking the tires is the best method to remove tires from wheels, it hardens the glue and then its is very easy to remove the tires.

Heat the oven up to 500 F. While the oven is heating up wrap the tires in aluminum foil. Once the oven is at 500 turn it off and put the tires in. Let them sit until the oven has cooled and the tires can be handled.
    Yep best way by far, less mess by far. better than boiling also

RC Champion
    how can get the glue off the tires after I have removed the tire from the wheel? The tires are left with excess hard glue on them.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandito66
    how can get the glue off the tires after I have removed the tire from the wheel? The tires are left with excess hard glue on them.
    The sanding drum on a dremel tool works well and leaves a good surface for regluing.

RC Champion
    Ok,
    Since I never got an answer, I decided to try soaking the tires in acetone.
    It worked! So after you boil them off the rims, then soak the tires in acetone for about 40 minutes and all the glue comes off.
    My new Revo wheels are looking great!
    4 new bowties on Ksyoho rims sweet