RC Champion

Problems with EVX-2

I have an EVX-2 ESC in two of my Emaxx trucks. One is a 3905 and the other is a 3906. Both have the EVX-2 and Titan 550 motors. But for some reason, I'm having a heck of a time with them.

I use a Spectrum DX3.0 radio and SR3000 receiver. At one time, I was running the trucks with this exact set up. But I smoked one of my Titans in the 3906 and so it's been sitting. I was planning on selling my 3905, so I got it out the other day to get it ready to sell. I wanted to make sure it all checked out first. So I hooked my SR3000 up to it, and can't for the life of me get it to bind w/ this ESC. Nothing I do works. The receiver flickers like crazy, especially if both servos are plugged into it. Litterally nothing I do works. And I run this radio in two Revo's, a Pede, and Rusty with no problems. But this EVX2 is just not jiving and I can't figure out why.

I put the receiver back into my Pede to make sure it was ok, and it worked like a charm. I just don't see how it was possible that two diff Emaxx trucks would both have bad EVX-2 ESC's. Esp since one of them is nearly new. I'm not sure how to even troubleshoot an ESC to see if it's working properly or not.

I do know that if I unplug the ESC from the receiver and plug it into say the steering or aux channel, the veh suddenly wants to take off like a shot! It's got a mind of it's own. But my servo's aren't turning, and even a brand new servo plugged in to the receiver isn't turning right, and i know it's good. Something is wack and I don't know where to start.

Also... I got my 3906 back up and running, but with the stock radio paired to the EVX-2. It seems to be ok, however I noticed that I didn't quite have the torque that I thought I would. I checked the slipper and it was nearly fully tight. But the batteries, motors, and spur gears were all super hot! I don't understand why either. I'm very experienced with Emaxx trucks, and most all the other Traxxas trucks. And I was shocked. There is no reason why all of that should be hot. I'm geared at 66/18, which is fine, and was running two fully charged 3300 batteries. Should have been "ok". Certainly not "hot". What could it be???

Thanks!
    ERBE, E-Slayvo Pro, Ext Stampy, 2xMERV's.

RC Racer
    Only thing I can think of right now is to make sure your trims and sub trims for everything on your radio are zero'd out.
    If the stock radio works then your DX3 should also. Maybe zero out your stock radio before you turn it on and then turn it on to make sure it works and then swap out the radios and see what happens.
    If your spur gear was hot then you probably have the mesh too tight and that will cause heat issues to some extent.
    Let us know if you find anything. Good luck.
    3905 Neu 1515/1.5D, MGM22418, 2x2S2P 8000Mah

RC Champion
    Ok... I diagnosed the motor problem (I put the bad one back on by mistake).

But I can not get my EVX2 to connect to the Traxxas ESC and/or Radio. I've tried using several different Traxxas ESC's and different TX3 radios, and none seem to want to work. I've even tried swapping out crystals, zero'd out the radios, etc and nothing works.

However, if I put my Spektrum SR3000 receiver on the truck and fire up my DX3.0, the EVX2 connects right to it and off I go.

I swear it's almost like my EVX-2 has somehow lost it's "bind" with anything Traxxas after binding it to my Spektrum. Can that be??

RC Competitor
    Are you sure the servo lead (for the ESC) is in the right channel slot?

This happened to me.... a couple hundred times..

RC Qualifier
    is the plug the right polarity?? some times you can flip the plug so that it doesnt get the signal if so just spin the plug 180 & try it..also if the esc doesnt work wit the stock radio I would think there might be bigger troubles..Try pairing the reciever first with no esc attached then try to calibrate the esc & see if that works..

RC Champion
    I'm sure I've got them in the right slot. I've tried everything and to know avail. I just don't understand why I can plug in my Spektrum system and take off, but not the factory RX system.

How do you "Pair" or "bind" anything on the Traxxas radios?

Since I can't get the ESC to talk to the radio or receiver, I can't even unhook the motors and program the thing. Very odd.

I should also note... that I have two Emaxx trucks w/ EVX-2's, and my other one is the EXACT same way. It doesn't recognize the TQ system, but it does my Spectrum RX.

RC Champion
    I think it was a case of bad crystals. I found a new set, and it worked. Imagine that! HA!!