RC Competitor

VXL Brushless Motor cooling!!

Guys,

I have the following set up:

VXL Rusty.
    Maxamps 11.1v 8000vh 3s lipo!!!!!
    Gearing - 31 pinion/76 spur
    Traxxas ESC cooling fan.

I have run this set-up for a couple of weeks now, in-between crashes!!, & have had concerns on the temp of the motor. Do not have a exact temp, but I don't even think Superman could hold his finger against it for more than 2 seconds!!.

The Gearing/battery I am using, is what Traxxas suggest for 70mph+, & I am sure I am pretty **** close!.

1.Is the motor heat an issue?
    2.Is a heatsink available, & is it any good?
    3.Any other suggestions for gearing (I mainly use my Rusty for tarmac/high speed circuits, fitted with 2.2 Anaconda's)

RC Champion
    1. heat is always an issue... Buy a temp gun. temps must be kept below 200 degrees.

2. it is tough to fit a heatsink on withthe stock transmission case.. unless you are handy with a dremel

3. that gearing is too tall for normal use. especially on 3s lipo... once you have a temp gun, you can then find the best gear combo for you.
    Slash 2wd w/ Novak
    Rusty w/ Castle

Yeah with that gearing you definately do not want to continuously run speed passes one right after another through the whole pack or you will fry your motor. You want to do a couple passes and let it cool off.

With that gearing all a heat sink and fan would do is just mask the problem. Even though it would make it run cooler with the same gearing, you still wouldn't want to continue running it pass after pass.

What you need to do is find a gearing setup if you want to run continuously the whole pack that would give you safe temps without a cooling setup (which I find hard to do even with my 3s 5000mah). Even with that said my truck geared 15/86 on 3s I have to stop to let it cool down 3 times before the pack is finished. Just because the truck can go over 70mph doesn't mean you have to go that fast every time you run it.

I did add a motor cooling setup to my truck primarily for running 2s. I got my gearing where it wasn't over heating but I just wanted added cooling.
    Last edited by CarGuy7a; 06-27-2009 at 06:06 PM.

RC Competitor
    Thanks guys, will put stock gearing back in, & see how I get on.

I would say you may have gotton your motor well over or dangerously close to 200. You definately need a temp gun. I got mine right at 200 a couple times the first time I ran my 3s. I usually stop running at a little over 180 now.

3s is fast no matter what gearing I'm on. 15/86 on 3s will absolutely blow away my 20/83 on 2s.