Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC poster

Dual Steering Servo on Revo...?

It's looks like another steering servo can drop right into the revo. Has anyone done this yet? If so does it make a worth while difference? I know the added torque of a second servo can help move the bigger tires of the Revo but it seems that the single servo setup turns the wheels just fine.

RC Qualifier
    Why not buy a servo with more torque? I have a 3906 maxx with single servo and that will be the second thing I upgrade. Found several servos in the 300-400 oz range. You can find very nice servos for the mini's as well. From all I have read that is the only thing I would upgrade when I get a mini revo.

RC Champion
    JR micro servo DS368. The Large E-Revo racers convert from dual to a high torque single for racing.

RC Enthusiast
    but Jr DS 368 is only 52 Oz/in. shure better than the stock with 41,7 Oz/in. but not really stronger, there are not other servos more powerfull?

RC Enthusiast
    Is it possible put two servos on the E-Revo VXL like the E-Revo 1/10?
    May be a good idea?

RC Racer
    I have a 3905 e-maxx and I have had trouble with my dual servos. out of the box brand new the servos were not adjusted properly so they made a loud buzz until I adjusted them. I have had to spend more time adjusting the dual servo set up and would much prefer just a single high torque servo.
    5608 3905 5805 7108, DF-03RA, 2x AX-10, MRC

RC Enthusiast
    but it's difficult to find a really strong steering servo for the E-Revo 1/16, I don't know little strong servos for the E-Revo, on the E-Revo 1/10 I've put two JR Z 9100 HVT for 480 oz/in x 2, but the E-Revo 1/16 required a micro servo........, what is the most powerfull servo of the world for the 1/16?

RC Enthusiast
    What is the exactly size of the steering servo of the E-Revo VXL 1/16?

RC Champion

This is the Traxxas VXL Micro Waterproof Servo for use on the
    1/16 E-Revo and Slash VXL Vehicles.

SPECS:
    Length: 29.5mm (1.2")
    Width: 14mm (0.55")
    Height: 29mm (1.1")

I looked around but I can't find one with a higher torque and same specs

Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Competitor
    I installed a JR DS368 in my ME-Revo, It has 53ozs of Torque and is really fast.

Last edited by BigBondonutz; 06-28-2009 at 08:25 AM.
    (2)E-LST's(2)E-Lightning Stadium Pro2's(3)E-Revo's

RC Qualifier
    BigBond any tip where i can find a servo like the JR you have ?
    Stampede 4x4 4s | Stampede 4x4 1/12

RC Qualifier
    The Ko servo ( i run Ko servo in my racecars ) PDS3101 http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-ser...1-p-28570.html

wouldnt this one be good ?
    Stampede 4x4 4s | Stampede 4x4 1/12

RC Enthusiast
    Ko servo seems good, but what linkage I need for put two servo on the E-Revo mini?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas P
    BigBond any tip where i can find a servo like the JR you have ?
    Pretty much any micro servo will work just make sure the mounting tabs are the same and that measurements will allow it to fit in the chassis. I used the stock link.
    (2)E-LST's(2)E-Lightning Stadium Pro2's(3)E-Revo's

RC Enthusiast
    I need an other servo linkage for an other servo, I can't find it.
    Do you know where I can find one other servo linkage and one other servo like the stock servo for putting a twin servo?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by billy54
    I need an other servo linkage for an other servo, I can't find it.
    Do you know where I can find one other servo linkage and one other servo like the stock servo for putting a twin servo?

It's part of the #7043 Steering Arm on the E-Revo/Slash VXL
    And a link to the Traxxas micro servo is in post #9
    Last edited by SnoopMaxx; 06-29-2009 at 04:07 PM.
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Racer
    I ran my e revo today with the dual steering set up today at the track...Ran for about an hour and the old servo decided to completely give up on life. BUT while it WAS alive, steering was stronger, and more responsive. I used two stock servo's. I'm diggin it. Now I get to call Traxxas tomorrow and tell them of my misfortune. And hopefully get a new one.

I also learned something today. Dim red light on ESC = servo died. I was perplexed until I got home and searched the forums. Thank god my ESC still works. LoL.
    typing 1st amendment gets you 60% helping ppl 0%

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesaw Jenkins
    I ran my e revo today with the dual steering set up today at the track...Ran for about an hour and the old servo decided to completely give up on life. BUT while it WAS alive, steering was stronger, and more responsive. I used two stock servo's. I'm diggin it. Now I get to call Traxxas tomorrow and tell them of my misfortune. And hopefully get a new one.

I also learned something today. Dim red light on ESC = servo died. I was perplexed until I got home and searched the forums. Thank god my ESC still works. LoL.
    I've put two servos Ko Propo 3101 http://www.kopropo.com/america/index...104&Itemid=150
    and now steering is perfect, more strong and more responsive, I too when the servos are two stock, the old servo had some problems but now with the two Ko Propo is all OK, is perfect and stronger.

RC Racer
    Yea, I would get those but I don't feel like spending 120+ dollars on two ko propo servo's. 3 dollar gear sets are much easier on my wallet.
    Last edited by Bonesaw Jenkins; 07-23-2009 at 09:38 AM.

stock 41 oz of plaxtic mess.
    the hitech 82mg has like 47oz of torque a littel stronger and it is medal gear and only like 20$, the the hitech 85mg has 48oz of torgue and is like 30$, they have a digital one the hitech HS-5245MG it has 76 oz of torques and is like 50$ they will all fit fine, they are actually a tiny bit thinner than the stock ones I have a 82mg and a 85mg and they both fit with no mods needed.
    2 vxl slash's
    vxl mini slash
    comp ax10.

RC Racer
    Got off the phone with traxxas. And due to my lack of knowledge when installing a dual servo set up, it was my fault that one of the servos died. The Traxxas Tech guy told me you have to have an adjustable link whether it be steering links or an adjustable arm (with threads) that connects to the servo saver. He told me to post this information up to help out the other peeps who might try this set up. It seems that without adjustable links the servo's "fight" each other when trying to center themselves. In my case the older servo that came with the truck won the battle, as the new one died. I hope this helps people. I never installed a dual servo set up like this, so I learned alot today.

RC Champion
    The Futaba S3150 is a very nice servo also. I replaced HS-85bbs in one of my helis with these and the feel was so much better. A very nice upgrade from the Hitec servos.

I also have a heli with a set of the S3155's and they are nice also, more speed, less torque than the 3150.

That Ko 3101 looks to be the king in this class right now, other than it's lack of bearings. My stock output shaft is already getting sloppy, for the price I hope that Ko holds up a bit longer.

My choice is still the 3150 or 3155, dual BB, MG, coreless motors.

Another option is the Hyperion DS13TMB (~49oz/in.) http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=3086
    With their programability you wouldn't need adjustable linkages, or a computer radio to set proper subtrims and end points for both servos.
    Last edited by buzzsaw 46; 07-23-2009 at 03:15 PM.
    My tranny case is stock :D

RC Racer
    Those of you using the Hitec HS-5245MG, did you need any special adapters or anything to hook up to the stock servo saver, or do the teeth mesh up just like they are?

yes if you are changing your servo, you will have to fab up a servo horn for it. only futuba will fit the stock servo horn......

it is the servo horn you should be concerned about not the servo saver, it is built in to the truck....
    2 vxl slash's
    vxl mini slash
    comp ax10.

RC Enthusiast
    used a HS-5085MG and regardless of what everyone says the e-revo vxl stock arm fits it perfectly.

I'm running the Hitec HS-85MG, and just one throws the steering from lock to lock no problem. More than dual servos, what I really need is a better servo saver. The stock piece is starting to stick when it gets bounced off center, so it is kind of hard to tell which way it is going to pull after a rough landing.

everyone who knows anything about rc knows the the futuba, hitech, and airtronics are the 3 different sizes of servo horns. In order for your servo to work properly you will have to use a differnt servo horn, what will happen if you force it on is eventually it will strip.
    2 vxl slash's
    vxl mini slash
    comp ax10.

RC Qualifier
    Dual Traxxas Servo :
    - 2080 Waterproof Servo
    - 7043 Servo saver and steering stuff
    Extra 3x6 BCS screw required (Not included in either packages).

*** No sound from the servo's when the direction is centered.

No issue with the first 10 minutes of hard running... I will report again after an 1h+ more of bashing... or if something give up before ...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Papino
    Dual Traxxas Servo :
    - 2080 Waterproof Servo
    - 7043 Servo saver and steering stuff
    Extra 3x6 BCS screw required (Not included in either packages).

*** No sound from the servo's when the direction is centered.

No issue with the first 10 minutes of hard running... I will report again after an 1h+ more of bashing... or if something give up before ...
    That looks good!! Do you notice any difference with turning speed or power? Does it make your battery life shorter? Was it hard to get them both to center at the same timeto get the alignment correct and not have the servos fighting each other? How is it hooked up, does it need to be servo reversed to work?

RC Qualifier
    This is the next thing that needs to be delt with in the smaller scales. Lipo's have made electric very popular again. It would be nice to see a 75-100oz mini servo hit the market.

RC Qualifier
    So if we go dual servo, which adjustable middle link do we get?

If you get a 3 channel radio, you should be able to slave the 3rd channel to the steering channel, and set the end points and centers for the servos exactly the same, so you don't have to worry about an adjustable linkage.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bolibruch1
    yes if you are changing your servo, you will have to fab up a servo horn for it. only futuba will fit the stock servo horn......

it is the servo horn you should be concerned about not the servo saver, it is built in to the truck....
    Yeah, I used the wrong terminology. I was referring to the horn, not the saver.

RC Qualifier
    My stock servo started to show signs of dying this weekend so I decided to go with the 85Mg that I had lying around from a project a couple years ago. But anyways, I just cut the extra ears off my 4 ear servo horn that came with the servo and that has been working well so far. I do not think that the 85Mg is really all that much of a performance upgrade, but I would have to say it is a good durability upgrade.

And a question:
    When you use those really strong standard size servos that have extra voltage requirements, do you need to use an external lipo pack or do you still use the BEC that is on the speed control?
    HPI Savage LOSI Mini/MicroT, MRC Traxxas Revo VXL

RC Champion
    I just tried out one of my S3150 Futaba's and pulled it right back out. Sloooow as heck, it did remove a bit of slop from the steering and it is a much more precise servo, but just looked to slow.
    My tranny case is stock :D

RC poster
    I recently installed a dual stock servo setup in my mini. I set the second servo up on the aux channel so I could center them individually. I thought at first everything was fine but noticed some glitching today. When I got home from bashing I swapped the receiver out but that was not the issue. I made this video showing the problem but then figured out that pushing the 2 servos seems to overload my esc. Here is the video. After I made this video I unplugged one servo and the problem was gone. I thought maybe bad servo but it doesn't matter which one I unplug. What do you think??

Merv Vxl
    Flm Savage
    E-Lst XXl
    Hyper 10Sc
    Sc10

RC Champion
    Do you have an RX battery pack handy ?

You could disable the internal bec, that would rule out the ESC

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    SCT MMP / 2400kv

RC Qualifier
    I think ******* has servos with around 70in/oz, I don't know the exact specs, the biggest thing is if the servo actually fits, it's like 1mm shorter I assumed they are a standard size but I haven't personally found out. I think running 2 servos is more for looks than performance, but putting the servo on the left or right side is a plus for shortening wires and other stuff

RC Qualifier
    A single server is beneficial if you buy a a really good one. For racing it saves weight... For bashing its really good to have 2 strong ones as they will not get ruined when you hit something especially if you have a non forgiving aluminum servo saver (such as the GPM one)

I used to ruin my servo because I was running bead locks, so the stock servo used to break.

I then thought that I should upgrade the servo to the hitec metal gear, so then I was breaking the the servo saver (stock plastic one)

I then upgrade to the aluminum servo saver, and now the hitec servo breaks when you hit something (no longer running bead-locks)

I'm debating switching to 2 hitec servos as they will be able to withstand the impact a lot more.

RC poster
    Well as it turns out if I unplug either of the servos everything works fine. Both servos work correctly as a single servo. Not sure what that means but Im just gonna run it like that for now. Ill probably just get a better servo and keep is as a single servo setup.
    Merv Vxl
    Flm Savage
    E-Lst XXl
    Hyper 10Sc
    Sc10