RC Racer

Servo making ratcheting noise

If I turn everything on, hold the front wheels in the straight ahead position resisting turning then try to turn left, the serve makes a non-stop ratcheting/fast clicking sound. If I turn right it simply tries to turn the wheel and makes the normal servo sound.

I'm guessing my servo is toast? Funny thing is I have never badly crashed or run into anything hard with this car at all, at most it tumbled 2x and has always been in the grass.

RC Qualifier
    The grass is tough on everything, the motor, drive train, and the steering. You might have hit a little rut or something in the grass which could have put too much stress on the motor. Or, you might have just made the whole servo heat up a bit too much because it had to work too hard turning in the grass.
    Also, don't you run some massive tires? And don't you put full size batteries on the front? All that weight up front could have certainly stressed the motor, especially with your really big tires.

I suggest you take your servo apart and look at the gears. If you are lucky, you might be able to spin one of the gears a bit so that any broken teeth are not being touched by its neighbor when the servo spins. I did that once to an old Hitec servo and it worked long enough for me to get a new gear set for it.

Good luck!
    HPI Savage LOSI Mini/MicroT, MRC Traxxas Revo VXL

RC Enthusiast
    my servo is doing the same thing. it constantly chatters when its flipped over on its back. but i agree, ITS TOAST. hi-tec makes an inexpensive replacement part # hs-85mg. about 30.99 or so it wont be waterproof anymore tho
    Slash 4wd
    MIGHTY MAXX 2.5

RC Qualifier
    I think Muddy tire has a busted tooth in his servo because of the way it is reacting. Chattering of the servo when it is rolled over is not a problem however. The servo is just over reacting to its own extremely precise nature. A lot of the little revo servos are doing the same thing. Do not worry about it. I have written an extensive explanation for why the servo is chattering in a thread called "funky servo must be broken" or something like that. It is on the second page currently.
    Last edited by Precision Man; 06-25-2009 at 12:50 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    I hope people are not grabbing the front wheels and twisting them left to right fast and a bunch. These small servo will not take it by hand without stripping the gears.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Precision Man
    I think Muddy tire has a busted tooth in his servo because of the way it is reacting. Chattering of the servo when it is rolled over is not a problem however. The servo is just over reacting to its own extremely precise nature. A lot of the little revo servos are doing the same thing. Do not worry about it. I have written an extensive explanation for why the servo is chattering in a thread called "funky servo must be broken" or something like that. It is on the second page currently.
    so u think muddy tire has a broken tooth? my servo is making those same sounds. and it wont turn at times.
    Slash 4wd
    MIGHTY MAXX 2.5

RC Qualifier
    Muddy says that if he holds the tire it will not turn left because it clicks but it will turn right as it just hums like it should. That tells me that the servo is missing teeth that would normally engage when the servo is turned to the left.
    Twittering (fast and quick left and right turns when the truck is upside down) however is caused by servo control that I described in the other thread (http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=480145). That twittering is not a result of broken teeth, just a strong motor trying to move heavy tires really fast. My servo twitters if I flip over my truck, turn the transmitter steering wheel to either side and then let go of the wheel. If I slowly return the transmitter steering wheel to the center however, the truck's wheels will not twitter. As long as the servo works, I say do not worry about it.
    If the servo is not twittering like I described above, and it is instead grinding when you turn in either direction, then one of the gears is probably broken. I may very well have misunderstood what you meant by chattering. I thought you were describing the same thing that I call twittering.
    Last edited by Precision Man; 06-25-2009 at 01:47 AM.

RC Racer
    Call Traxxas. Very kind and helpful. He stated it's most likely a stripped gear. He is sending out a replacement new one pronto. Good service.

RC Enthusiast
    yeah, i JUST got off the phone w traxxas and they were SUPER COOL!!! sending a gear set to fix the 1 i have and a new servo b/c im a noob lol. BRAVO ON CUSTOMER SUPPORT!
    Slash 4wd
    MIGHTY MAXX 2.5

RC Racer
    Got the new one in the mail and installed yesterday. All is good now. Hopefully this one lasts.

RC Competitor
    I know you already replaced the old servo, but if you hold onto it you may be able to fix it pretty easily. I explain how and show pictures of the problem in this thread:

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=480608
    Rusty VXL
    1/16 Revo
    ERBE

RC Enthusiast
    The hs-85mg is a analog servo the traxxas is digital, so may have to use another radio gear to prevent frying the 85mg

RC Racer
    After about 3 battery runs I can already hear this replacement servo clicking once and a while. Definitely need a sturdier servo.

Is there a metal gear servo out there that will work?

RC Qualifier
    The 85mg is metal gear, I think.

RC Qualifier
    Check out this servo, it is a mini metal gear digital servo from hitec.
    http://www.hitecrcd.com/servos/show?name=HS-5085MG
    It might be a little bit too large though, I would need to look at one more carefully before I bought one. It goes for about $47 at TowerHobbies

And here's the normal 85Mg. It is analog not digital. It has the same case size as the one above, so if the 85Mg fits, than the one above will.
    http://www.hitecrcd.com/servos/show?name=HS-85MG
    Last edited by Precision Man; 07-02-2009 at 09:41 PM.

RC Racer
    Thanks for info.

Gah, I know the info is in a thread somewhere in this forum but I couldn't find it....

so will the stock Traxxas servo arm fit on these Hitec servos?

RC Racer
    Ha, barely tapped a rock the size of the Revo not going fast at all and brand new servo is now stuck.

Sorry but these servos are junk and too delicate.