RC Competitor

Do you HAVE to run LiPo?

I'm not very confident with LiPo's, I run NiMH's in my MM Pede, and want to use the same in my Mini Revo when I get it, (christmas time )

But its my birthday soon, and if I can't get the new iPhone, then I'll get one of these imported from the US.

Now, have I got to run LiPo?

Is there really that much of a risk in using them, and blowing myself up?

And can I just run one battery? I hear all this talk about 2s/3s in series, but can you run NiMH in series, and are there any benefits from doing so?

Look forward to the replies

Ben
    Traxxas Stampede VXL - Mamba'fied :)

RC Racer
    The ESC is rated for:
    6-12 NiMH cells (one 6 cell pack, or two 6 cell packs in series)
    2S or 3S LiPo

More cells = More voltage = More speed

To increase your run time, you can run packs in parallel:
    two 6 cell NiMH packs in parallel
    two 2S LiPos in parallel
    two 3S LiPos in parallel

Theres nothing wrong with running NiMH. Many people think the brushless system in these trucks have a thirst for current that will degrade NiMH packs quickly, but that has yet to be seen. A LiPo pack with a high C rating should give better performance, and will be safe if you follow all the precautions. Use whatever you're comfortable with. LiPo is NOT required.

RC Competitor
    You don't have to run lipo. In fact, the vehicle comes with a 6-cell NiMh battery, which moves the truck quite well. You can run 2 NiMh in series, but only for a short time and with the speed run pinion that comes with the truck, otherwise run them in parallel for longer run times. As for lipos, most run 2 in parallel not series. In series, the voltage would be too high for long runs and the risk of overheating the ESC would be high.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Peowraaku
    The ESC is rated for:
    6-12 NiMH cells (one 6 cell pack, or two 6 cell packs in series)
    2S or 3S LiPo

More cells = More voltage = More speed

To increase your run time, you can run packs in parallel:
    two 6 cell NiMH packs in parallel
    two 2S LiPos in parallel
    two 3S LiPos in parallel

Theres nothing wrong with running NiMH. Many people think the brushless system in these trucks have a thirst for current that will degrade NiMH packs quickly, but that has yet to be seen. A LiPo pack with a high C rating should give better performance, and will be safe if you follow all the precautions. Use whatever you're comfortable with. LiPo is NOT required.
    Well said. Either will work perfectly fine.

I'm actually a bit disappointed that LiPo's don't have large capacity batteries that fit. 2200mah seems to be max, I was expecting 2800mah or so in LiPo but that isn't possible currently I guess. NiMH is pretty close with 1600mah.

RC Racer
    Running the Stock NiMh pack works quite well and if anything I would recommend running 2 of them in Parallel to get twice the runtime. Espically if you are nervous about using Lipos. This little thing is quite fast even with the Included NiMh pack. Wheelies on command running on Pavement!

However if you do want to run Lipo you can. That's what's so beautiful about these trucks. A 2s Lipo(7.4v) will make the truck even quicker, give it a little more top end (I saw video of a guy who Radared his hitting 38mph running on one 2s Lipo) and if you get one of the 2200mah packs it will even have a longer runtime.

RC Competitor
    Right, I fancy trying 2 NiMH 6cells in parallel

Whats the difference between series, and parallel?

I assume parallel, they are identical?

RC Racer
    No, running in Series means you double the volts up to 14.4v by running two batteries but you have the same mah. This will make it a lot faster, but give you no more runtime. (Also you have to change out the Pinion to the 'Speed Pinion' to keep it from overheating)

Running in Parallel keeps the volts the same 7.2v running two batteries but it gives you twice the mah which doubles your runtimes.

RC Competitor
    Oh runtimes

Definitely!

Right, so two 6cell's it is

And about 10-15minutes on a single pack?

RC Qualifier
    NiMH packs work well with these trucks. Check out the Pro-Match 1600mah packs. They are only $20 too!

RC Competitor
    Wow, thats cheap!

Cheaper than 9cells I use now anyway :P

RC Racer
    I have 4 of the Pro Match 1600 and they seem to be really good batteries so far. Not bad bang for the buck.
    E-Maxx Wicked Fun
    Mini E-Revo Freaking AWESOME!

RC Qualifier
    Buy yourself another Traxxas battery then you will have two. Buy 1 parallel connector and 1 series connector put in the 23t pinion that comes with it. Thats the least expensive way to go. Use the series connector when you what to go fast wheelie back flips. Use the parallel connector when you want longer run times and to bashing in the dirt. Nimh work fine and you don't have to buy different charging equipment.

RC Qualifier
    So do you guys think the Pro Match cells at http://www.promatchracing.com/prodde...cba7d6e32f81a3 are better than these Team Orion Cells at http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXNV9&P=SM ?
    HPI Savage LOSI Mini/MicroT, MRC Traxxas Revo VXL

RC Racer
    Those are the Pro Match batteries I have so far they are great. I dont have the Team Orion ones for the mini but I do have some for my E-Maxx and they are the best ones I have ran so far (haven't used to many brands) without getting into the REAL expensive ones.
    E-Maxx Wicked Fun
    Mini E-Revo Freaking AWESOME!

RC Competitor
    @RadicalRay, thanks for that, very helpful. I see the connector difference, and understand completely