RC Qualifier

This Thing Just runs WAAYYYY TO HOT

Guys I am getting ESC temps in the 170f range and motor temps in the 170-180 range too. Running for 5 minutes. On my Full size ERBE the Motor never goes over 140 and ESC never over 130. On My 3 different VXL's I use the fan on esc so that stays cool and never have motor heat issues. So what gives I have not even run LIPOs and that is my intention. At this rate I will overheat with lipos in a minute or so. BTW I am running on the street and my driveway only so far with stock gearing.

RC Champion
    READ THE MANUAL ! You MUST change too the optional included pinion gear too run 2 nimh batteries in series or you will damage the ESC/motor .
    At WARN 80% and climbing !

RC Racer

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by J.A.T.O.3.3
    READ THE MANUAL ! You MUST change too the optional included pinion gear too run 2 nimh batteries in series or you will damage the ESC/motor .
    So its a smaller pinion?

RC Champion
    YES you must gear down too keep the heat under control , it will be a little slower but it shouldnt burn up . It will if you keep running like that .

RC Qualifier
    YES you must gear down too keep the heat under control , it will be a little slower but it shouldnt burn up . It will if you keep running like that .
    Thats cool Thanks for the heads up so this is the first traxxas model out that comes with the speed pinion installed weird. They must be getting alot of RMAs.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RcPocketRocket
    Guys I am getting ESC temps in the 170f range and motor temps in the 170-180 range too. Running for 5 minutes. On my Full size ERBE the Motor never goes over 140 and ESC never over 130. On My 3 different VXL's I use the fan on esc so that stays cool and never have motor heat issues. So what gives I have not even run LIPOs and that is my intention. At this rate I will overheat with lipos in a minute or so. BTW I am running on the street and my driveway only so far with stock gearing.
    You are getting this hot with stock gearing and stock, single 6-cell battery pack? Wow, that seems very hot!
    -L

RC Qualifier
    Thats cool Thanks for the heads up so this is the first traxxas model out that comes with the speed pinion installed weird. They must be getting alot of RMAs.
    The speed pinion in this Traxxas model is actually smaller than the standard one.
    They label the bigger one as a non speed pinion and for normal use.
    What is your current battery set up?
    I was born to break the mould

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcoretam
    The speed pinion in this Traxxas model is actually smaller than the standard one.
    They label the bigger one as a non speed pinion and for normal use.
    What is your current battery set up?
    2xNicklel metal traxxas batteries in series. Ordered 10 lipos should be here by the end of the week.

RC Champion
    If you are going too run more than 7.4 volts then you must gear down , if not then you can use the stock pinion . Mine hasnt shut down using 2 7.4 LiPo's running parallel .

RC Qualifier
    If you are going too run more than 7.4 volts then you must gear down , if not then you can use the stock pinion . Mine hasnt shut down using 2 7.4 LiPo's running parallel .
    Thx Jato I am going to make a Parallel adaptor tonight then. Also planning on running 3s in Parallel should give me some nice runtime and power. Also going to try to pick up some battery compartment scoops and use them on body above motor and ESC as that is getting very hot also.

RC Racer
    I was thinking about getting a Motor Heatsink and cutting out the Windshield on the Body, replacing it with some mesh screen. Mine hasn't been running that hot, but I figure this would help once I get some Lipos.

RC Qualifier
    2xNicklel metal traxxas batteries in series. Ordered 10 lipos should be here by the end of the week.
    I hope your not going to run all 10 lipos in series!
    JRx2, Mini-Z, MRC, Summit, Slash, Revo VXL, etc.