Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RC Competitor
    wirgej38:No I haven't sold it yet..Just sent it to a friend of mine who races for him to put electronics in it.. snap some pictures... test it.. takes some vids of it running and.. ofcourse race it.

Rocky: Yep exactly

I'm excited to know how it runs too.. I'm hoping it will hold up. Hmm I will see if my friend can take a couple of those type of pictures for me.

Cain:
    I don't think Traxxas will be interested. That would be awesome if some other aftermarket company was interested.. Unfortunately not many people have the Slayer..but what I think could have some real potential is a Revo to Truggy conversion.. basically mine.. but stretched. I know I guy on here did one but I think a conversion kit would sell pretty well.

The access to the motor mount screws might be a bit tricky.. a eliterc motor mount would work great.. since this is a prototype I wanted to keep costs down as best as I could. I also like the option of a tekno mount.. I have a tekno mount that I was originally going to use.. but my friend is running a neu motor which was too big for my 36mm Tekno mount. So either a eliterc or tekno mount would work great.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by EDS24
    Cain:
    I don't think Traxxas will be interested. That would be awesome if some other aftermarket company was interested.. Unfortunately not many people have the Slayer..
    I wonder if this may be a good thing though, as they could be inclined to make something else that uses a lot of the slayer parts that will sell more than the slayer.

Oh well, we can hope right?

RC Competitor
    Thats very true Cain. It gives them a perfect platform to reuse those slayer parts but possibly a platform that would sell better.

haha yes I will be hoping becuase that would be so awesome. It would be like a Traxxas College Scholarship if they wanted my plans.

RC Competitor
    After 3 days of driving and 1400 miles I'm back in Colorado. I got moved into my new room. The basement in my new house is unfinished so my parents said I can put my room and workshop down their. Figured I would show you guys some pictures. Should have plenty room to spread out.

Now that I got set-up I'm going to start making a one piece upper chassis for the Evo8..Chewie (my friend who I sent the buggy to) let me know their is too much flex in the chassis. Too much for him to drive it. We are afraid if he did drive it the front end would get crushed. So I'm going to be making a one piece upper deck to replace the front and rear upper decks. I will also be doing some new thicker chassis braces. Haven't been able to get a hold of my friend to see if he has installed electronics. I'll pictures up once he gets that done. Then pictures of the upper deck. Once my buddy gets the new upper deck installed he will start the testing.

RC Racer
    put new slayer pro 4x4 arms on it now!
    Because I said so.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by revo Hawkman
    put new slayer pro 4x4 arms on it now!
    +10000000000000000000000000000
    Your nitro is fat...It ate my Brushless Dust!!!!

RC Competitor
    I was thinking about that but.. the new a-arms would extend the width farther then ROAR rules allow.

RC Qualifier
    Just curious if there have been any updates to speak of? its been 2 months since your last post.
    Using while stupid may cause serious injury.

RC Champion
    ooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaoooooooohhhhh that is awwesome......
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

RC Competitor
    Ak sno rider: What I have been waiting for has been for my friend who was supposed to test the buggy to send it back..since he was unable to test it. He was supposed to send it last Friday so I'm hoping to see it back in my hands by tomorrow or Tuesday.

I will then make a few changes such as making a once piece upper deck and adjusting the battery compartment to fit my batteries. Because of a recent email from someone I can't name at this moment.. that I received a few weeks ago I decided to pick up a feigao 8xl motor off ebay that will be paired up with a ********* 100a esc and for batteries I'm going to be using two promatch 4200mah 38s saddle packs taped together with black vinyl so 4s total. I will be testing it myself then sending it off once again to a undisclosed location (When the time is right I will let you guys kno who and where I sent the buggy)

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the update. I am really looking forward to seeing this beautiful machine run.
    Using while stupid may cause serious injury.

RC Competitor
    I FINALLY got this buggy back into my hands. I have already started to tear it down partially so that I make the needed changes. Next week I have off from school and will be working on this. Soo this will be running in the next couple weeks. I'll post updates once progress is made.

RC Competitor
    My buddy that was going to test the buggy recommend that I throw out the 2 piece upper chassis's and replace them with a single upper chassis. This is because their was way to much flex front to back and he was afraid the buggy the chassis would bend if it nose dived. So..

For the last about week or so I have slowly been making a single piece upper chassis for the buggy. Next to the main chassis this part is the largest and the most difficult to make. That's why it has taken so long. The hardest part is figuring out where the shocks need to be mounted and getting the holes aligned correctly. The process I used to make this part is I drew it out on a piece of graph paper and also drew where all the holes need to be. I then made a copy of the drawing and taped it to a piece of aluminum using packaging tape so I could see where I needed to cut. I then used a hand held jigsaw to make all the cuts. After filing and drilling the piece and re drilling holes I have finished the piece.

Now after bolting down the piece the buggy is very still and I don't even think I need to make chassis braces for it.. though I'm not positive about that yet because of how thin the main chassis is.

Mind you I still have to finish filing the edges and I also will be covering it with the same flat black vinyl that I covered the last upper chassis's with and the main chassis. In these pictures you can also see the Feigao 8xl motor with rc-monster heatsink I purchased for the buggy and my new bluebird servo.

Next I will be working on reworking the battery compartment and taping my saddle pack batteries together.

RC Competitor
    Today I didn't have any homework so I was able to make further progress on the buggy. I redesigned the battery tray and decided to keep it simple. I just used some 1/4" lexan to make a "craddle"/Tray then used some tekno velcro straps I had laying around. This holds the battery in very securly and I am able to hold the buggy upside down by the battery haha
    I also taped and vinyled the batteries together and I also go the upper deck covered with the vinyl too.

The last custom work I have to do is make a new wing mount. After that its just little stuff like filling the diffs and shocks, mounting the esc and receiver, doing some soldering, and setting up the buggy.

The buggy will be shipped out to location X next week after testing.

RC Competitor
    Wednesday I filled the shocks with oil and the diffs with fluid. Yesterday I spent alot of time installing the electronics. I tried to wires the best I could. To make room for the ********* 100a esc I decided to stand the servo up. So I had to make lexan servo mounts and then extend the servo saver arm upwards to make for a better angle.

Today I glued up the tires which went horribly because the Losi Step Pin tires didn't fit the Jconcepts wheels very good. I believe the losi's use a different bead type then the wheels but I did my best.. Afterwards I charged up the battery and took it out for a test run even though I had a couple things to finish up on like the wing mount and drilling out the shock mount screws ( the ones that go thru the shocks) The test runs went surprisingly well! Everything in the transmission held up. I definatly need put the front sway bars back on because it easily traction rolled but this is also because it was on the street. I broke the shock mounts because the screws to hold the shocks on weren't in all the way and I couldn't drive it with the body on becuase I have to save the body for when its sent to location X. Thus when the buggy traction flipped it slid on the rockers and shock screws. The buggy is fast at full throttle. Everything worked great. The real test will come in the next couple of days when I take it to the track.. I will be trying to get a video of it but it probably won't be a great video because I will have to use a digital camera.

Video soon though =)

RC Qualifier
    After researching different SC's out there, I think what you created is not a 1/8 buggy, but a fantastic 4x4 SC with a lower COG than what Traxxas offers. In other words, I think this set up you created can go up against the OFNA's. Put a Slash body on that thing and go kick some tail.

I've been trying to convert my slayer pro into an electric 1/8 SC by reducing the weight to lower the COG. But w/ your chassis you've overcome that obstacle. Can you give us an RTR weight on your creation and what battery that includes? Thanks I'm very interested in this buid.

RC poster
    I would turn it into a SC..but I'm just not really into the whole SC thing... plus nobody has made a real Traxxas 1/8th buggy.

I don't have an exact weight... but when I sent it in the mail it was 13lbs.. but that includes my Tx with batteries, all the bubble wrap, and the box. So I'm guessing around.. 11 pounds? I'm not sure. One guy felt it and commented that it felt pretty close to the same weight as other E-buggies. This is with a two Promatch 2s 4200mah saddle batteries taped together.

Well.. more bad luck has come with this buggy.

Location X was R/C car magazine...
    About a month ago an editor emailed saying he was interested in featuring it in the magazine.. that's why I got it all fixed up and bought electronics for it so I could make it drivable for the magazine. He also asked me to write the article because he wanted in my own words. Soo ofcourse I was excited and everything was going great.. I sent the buggy and sent my article which he really liked...
    This wednesday I was informed that the publisher of R/C car magazine had discontinued R/C car and the editors last day was the day after I sent the buggy. So basically....my car won't be in the magazine.. and my article won't be printed. The buggy is on its way back to me.

In the mean time.. I sent a few emails to the other magazines to see if they are interested.

This buggy has brought me a lot of bad luck.. first the guy who was going to test and race it for me couldn't and it took him for ever to send it back.. then I get an awesome offer from a magazine and then the magazine goes out of business..

Once I get the buggy back I will be testing it on the track and get some videos of it.. after that.. I think I'm going to disassemble it.. sell the parts I don't need and turn it into another project that I will actually need.

In the mean time here is some pictures of the finished buggy with out the body on.

Ethan.

RC poster
    I got the buggy back a couple days ago. Decided to start making you guys some videos of it.. the first video is just me running it around the street and the yard. Once I can get to the track I will do a track test video. Sorry its a bit shaky.
    Enjoy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmIos15p24Q

RC poster
    Today it was a nice sunny day in Colorado which is rare for end of November so I decided to take advantage of it.. and got out to the track. For its first time on the track and with my bad driving skills ( I just build the cars I don't race them.. yet) The track was very dusty and loose so it was sort of hard to get traction but I think the buggy did just fine.. I think that with a good driver, and some testing and tuning this could possibly be a winner. I was surprised by the durability and you can see in the video I wasn't easy on it.. at the end of the day i broke the lexan wing mount I made and a turnbuckle end but that's all.
    Overall pretty impressed!

TRACK VIDEO!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHaU_nz0I8U
    Last edited by EDS; 11-27-2010 at 08:56 PM.

RC poster
    This thing is finally getting into Rcdriver magazine! Look for it in the July issue of Rcdriver.. words and photos by me

RC Champion
    Nice man! This is a crazy build! I love the way it looks you did a SICK job on it! Congratz on getting in the magazine
    Hows that nitro taste on your electric?