Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Competitor

Project:Evo8 (1/8th buggy Slayer Conversion)

Project: Evo8
    The first Traxxas 1/8th buggy

I got this idea when I was in a brainstorm session of potential upcoming projects. After looking in it this seemed like a perfect project to get me back into the swing of making custom r/c cars. I know a few people have made 1/8th buggies in to CORR trucks and so why not a Slayer into a buggy? The wheelbase and width are perfect for being a 1/8th buggy and very close to other 1/8th's. After doing some more research I took the plunge and bought myself a Slayer roller for $140. This will be the starting point and the base for the project which will end up being the first Traxxas 1/8th Buggy.

This isn't going to be just a half-asked conversion by just putting some buggy tires,wing,and body on the stock Slayer. My project goal is to make it a competitor against other 1/8th buggies such as the 8ight, Rc8, 808. This means I will be tearing it apart and putting a 1/8th center diff in the middle and make a aluminum flat chassis to lower the Center of Gravity.Along with doing other modifications to help it be able to compete with the other buggies. I'm not much of a Nitro guy so I will be going the Lipo/Brushless route once the time comes to get it running. But, for now I'm going to be concentrating on getting this thing built. Check back for updates.

Ethan
    Last edited by EDS24; 06-22-2009 at 12:26 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like fun, looking forward to seeing the results!
    Nitro Sport Pro. 15
    VXL BlackSlash w/ DX2.0

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Cool project I cant wait to see it finished.
    ⓘ ⓐⓝⓣ ⓣⓗⓘⓝⓚ ⓞⓕ ⓐⓝⓨ ⓣⓗⓘⓝⓖ ⓖⓞⓞⓓ ⓣⓞ ⓦⓡⓘⓖⓗⓣ ⓗⓔⓡⓔ

RC Racer
    Sounds cool. I need to find myself a Slayer roller. Did you get yours locally?

Good luck with the conversion!
    Slayer (OS .21TM)
    Bandit (Roller)

RC Competitor
    TraxxasArmy and Cynix:Thanks, I can't wait to see it finished either.

Krogoth: I actually got lucky and found my on a forum. It was great deal for $140. I have seen them on ebay too.

Here is a small update.I tore everything apart and got it all cleaned up and got rid of the stuff I don't need (Transmission, Chassis,Etc) Here is what is left.

I apologize for the quality of the pictures once I start making more major progress I will have better quality pictures.
    So far since I bought the roller for $140 and sold the parts that I didn't use for $40. I have only spent $100.Throughout the build I will be keeping tabs of how much I spend and my goal is to come out under $250 for a roller. I just bought a Rc8 Center Differential. Once I have this I can come up with a chassis design along with chassis stiffeners and battery tray designs.I will be buying a piece of aluminum sheet soon for the chassis. I'm going to start with 1/8" 6061-T6 Aluminum for the first prototype chassis. 6061 is much cheaper and and should be strong enough to do testing. Once I know the exact design and know it will work I will be making a new chassis out of 7075 material just like all the other 1/8th buggies out there and I will also be getting it anodized. Over all this project looks like it will be a pretty simple project especially compared to my other projects that I'm working on.

Ethan

RC Racer
    Darn, until you mentioned that you had sold the parts you didnt use, I was totally gonna offer to buy them from you!

I had looked on Ebay before but never saw anything in my searches. Guess I need to look better. Want to get one so I can start on my E-Conversion and keep my Nitro Slayer as well.

Good progress so far. Should be interesting to see how you mount the bulkheads.
    Last edited by KROGOTH; 06-22-2009 at 01:38 PM.
    Slayer (OS .21TM)
    Bandit (Roller)

RC Competitor
    Aw man. I'm sorry. I would have gladly sold them to you.

Yeaa Slayer rollers seem to be sorta difficult to find. Oh sweet.

Thanks. Yea its gonna be a bit challenging with the hinge pins and stuff but I think I will be able to figure it out.

RC Champion
    I'm anxious to see the results. I predict that many will follow in your footsteps if this turns out a great sucess.
    BMW E21 323i.. My baby.

RC Competitor
    I'm anxious too! That will be pretty cool and just in case people do once I start building I will post a in-depth guide for people.

RC Qualifier
    Mt truck just ended up that way doing mods to make it handle better.

RC Qualifier
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

RC Competitor
    The Rc8 center diff and 1/8th aluminum for the chassis should be here tomarrow or saturday. Once I get those pieces I can start designing and making parts.

bllski: Thats a nice ride. The difference between mine and yours is that mine will have a flat pan chassis under the diffs, a buggy center diff, and a buggy body. Oh and mine will also be brushless.

Ethan

RC Competitor
    Center Differential/Drive Shafts

Today I finally got the RC8 Center diff today. It came brand new in package and just like everything thing else 1/8th I was surprised by the size. After a few minutes of just messing around and building it I decided to try something that I had heard may work for the Center drive shafts. This is one of the only issues that I was worrying about with this project was finding some center drive shafts that would fit.I got a tip from a guy on another forum saying that I might be able to cut down revo axles to replace the input shafts on the center diff so that I could use sliders. I was curious and realized that I had some revo axles on the buggy already since the Revo and Slayer use the same axles. I figured out it would actually work and started hacking away. They ended up fitting perfectly with some modification . I know that sliders don't show up in the racing dictionary but they are cheap, more "Traxxas" like, and they fix my problem of trying to find correct length Cva's that fit on the Revo diffs. Here is how I made the modifications to make the sliders work on the Rc8 Center diff.

1.First I had to shave about 1/8th inch off of the black plastic part where the axle hooks on to the sliders.

2.Then I spent about an hour and half using my hand saw to cut down the axles so that they where the same length as the Rc8 inputs.

3. That's about all there is to it after that I just started putting it back together.

(Right is stock, Center is cut-down, Left is the completed one)

4. Once you have it put all together it should look like this.

The diff mounts fit perfectly around the axle coupling so that the pin doesn't fall out.
    And the diff in the mounts with the top plate..

Over all I was very surprise how well everything to fit together.As far as shafts go I just used the Slayer Sliders off of the front of the buggy. I figured I can get a set to replace them off of ebay because the Slayer sliders fit perfectly.

Ethan
    Team Kassanova
    Last edited by EDS24; 07-02-2009 at 10:48 PM.

RC Competitor
    As far as updates goes I drew up a chassis design and my original layout idea.. would have made the chassis way to wide and heavy. This is the layout I was originally going to use..

I liked how all the batteries would be mounted on the chassis so that the COG would be low but it would have made the chassis way too wide. So after brainstorming layouts I found the layout that I believe I will be using..

Even though the COG is higher the batteries are closer to the center. This makes it so the higher COG doesn't matter as much. This will allow me to use stick packs and it also makes it so that my chassis can be slimmer cutting down on weight.

I'll be getting a final design done for the chassis today and hopefully cutting the chassis today to but that might have to wait till tomarrow.

Ethan
    Team Kassanova

RC Racer
    Excellent! Looking good so far.
    Slayer (OS .21TM)
    Bandit (Roller)

RC Qualifier
    Thats cool....
    Slayer modded 3.3
    losi 8ight t mach 427

RC Qualifier
    looks good I am waiting to see if the open electric class i race my sc10 in starts letting e slayers in if they do I will be going electric and will try to find a different frame to lower cog as well

RC Competitor
    Thanks guys! I got another update for you..

Bulkheads and Chassis

First off today I cut the Bulkheads down so that the electronics and batteries could fit in.Before I cut them though I measured how far it was from the center of the Rocker post to the shock mounting hole. Then I got out the scroll saw and hacked away at the Bulkheads.

After I got those cut I finalized the chassis drawings. And taped them to the piece of 1/8th" 6061-T6 aluminum.

After a couple hours of cutting and filing I came out with this..

For cutting aluminum for the first time andonly having hand tools I think it came out good. But after cutting it I realized the parts where the front and rear of the chassis hook on are probably too thin. Unfortunately, I don't have material to make another one so this one will have to do for now until I get some 7075.Then I will put the diffs on risers so that the front and rear can be wider. I still have some more filing ,drilling,and bending to do but here is how it should turn out and how it looks right now.

This last picture is just to give you an idea of where the batteries will be going. Obviously they aren't going to be the actual packs that I will use. I plan on using some lipo 5000mah 7.4v packs.

Today I'm going to try to finish the chassis and mount the diffs. I will probably also start drawing the battery mounts and the shocks/chassis stiffeners too. Watch for updates. Actually I created a website for projects..
    www.Teamkassanova.webs.com . There you will find all my projects and the latest updates on them (I will be posting updates first on my website)

Ethan
    Team Kassanova

RC Qualifier
    very nice, i will definately be keeping an eye on this.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thats looking pretty good.
    ⓘ ⓐⓝⓣ ⓣⓗⓘⓝⓚ ⓞⓕ ⓐⓝⓨ ⓣⓗⓘⓝⓖ ⓖⓞⓞⓓ ⓣⓞ ⓦⓡⓘⓖⓗⓣ ⓗⓔⓡⓔ

RC Racer
    I am currious here. Why would you covert a Slayer to a 1/8th Buggy when the E-Revo Platinum is the size of an RC8. Wouldn't it be better to just get a Revo and use the long wheelbase A-arms? I was looking at this to match the SC8 and it is very close. My only concern was fitting the SC8 tires inside the SC8 body using the Revo chassis and A-arms.

RC Qualifier
    Those last group of pic's sure brought the whole thing into perspective. Simply beautiful.
    Built Ford tuff!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by EDS24
    I'm anxious too! That will be pretty cool and just in case people do once I start building I will post a in-depth guide for people.
    very interesting, ill be watching this w/the 'People's Eyebrow'
    reminds me of THIS old build
    I say what 99% of you are thinking!

RC Competitor
    Ak Sno rider, Cynix,Wildosvt: Thank you for the kind comments.

StockSlasher: The Revo platinum is much longer and wider than the Rc8.
    Revo Platinum:
    Width- Front: 444.5mm Rear: 447mm
    Wheelbase: 367mm
    Rc8:
    Width: 305mm
    Wheelbase: 325mm
    Now on the other hand the Slayer Dimensions are much closer to a Rc8's
    Slayer
    Width: 296mm
    Wheelbase: 323mm

On mine I unscrewed the Pivot balls 3mm on each side so that brings it to 302mm and then with slightly wider tires I should be right around 304mm or 306mm. As far as wheelbase I'm shooting for around 320-325mm.

Untraceable:
    Yep I read all up on that build and its helping me with a few ideas. It was a very nice build and I have alot to live up to but I think I can do it.

RC Qualifier
    the revo is alot closer size to the RC8T (truggy) than the 8B (buggy)

1/8 scale buggies are quite a bit smaller than their 1/8 scale truggy counterparts
    MMM E-Revo
    VXL Slash 4x4
    VXL Slash 2wd

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by brett_dirtbike
    the revo is alot closer size to the RC8T (truggy) than the 8B (buggy)

1/8 scale buggies are quite a bit smaller than their 1/8 scale truggy counterparts
    The slayer is exactly the same size as the slash and the slash is the same size as a 1/8th buggy.
    What shall I put here?

RC Qualifier
    Looks good, can't wait to see it finished.
    -----The iceage is over, embrace the voltage.-----

RC poster
    electric suck thats waste of your life

Quote Originally Posted by rcslayer
    You registered today just to post this?

Get a life and give the man the respect he deserves as he is putting money and hard work into a project that you cannot even dream of being able to do.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rcslayer
    I agree you should spend your time somewhere else if all you have to do is put a man down for his work and engineering ideas.

There is a better place for kids like yourself. Try noggin.com or pbskids.org, then you can just go and show how much of a nice person you are and let all of the 5 yr olds put up with you.

That is a nice job you are doing, keep up the good work.
    Michigan Monsters of RC -MT Racing Club

RC Racer
    This is a project worth doing. I was studying this as well and plan to do a conversion myself someday. I was planning to use the RC8 center diff assembly just like you did. I was shocked that you decided to cut the bulkheads. I would like to know how this turns out. Do you have any updates?

I was planning a two tear chassis approach like the Gorilla Max Revo conversion chassis. This maintains the rigid spine design and allows you to layout the chassis much like the RC8 using the motor mount and battery tray.

I was planning this so that I could race 1/8th scale buggy and convert to a 1/10th scale SCT 4WD truck when I want to just by changing the body mounts and adding bumpers. I like the chassis design of the Revo/Slayer enough to make this work. My 1/16th Slash is now a 1/12th scale buggy and it runs great! I plan to design the chassis for that first using the OFNA Mini center diff kit. I hope to post some pics soon.

RC Racer
    I also noticed that when you cut the bulkheads you removed the shock mounts. How do you plan to mount the shocks?

I am very interested in your progress. This is a awesome project and Traxxas should look at this potential to build a race ready 1/8th scale buggy. I think the Revo design is very competitive.

RC Champion
    This thread seems "kinda dead", and I was watin for somethin to come about...but, any updates?
    R/C is expensive...

RC Competitor
    I'm sorry guys I moved from Colorado to Alabama in July on account of my dad getting transfered. All my r/c stuff got put in storage in georgia. I wont' have access to it till January. Once I get my stuff I will pull this project back out and continue working on it. I definatly have plans of finishing it. I will give you guys an update once I get my stuff and can cut out a new chassis.

RC Competitor
    wow haven't posted here in forever well. I'm living in the deep south now down here in Mobile, Alabama and I finally gotten all my stuff from storage...I have been able to work on this project here and their and thought I would share.

After trying to figure out if I would be able to fit the motor and steering on with my previous layout plan (one battery pack each side of the center drive shaft) I have found that I wouldn't have enough room for the steering. So instead I decided to change my layout to the layout used on the Hyper 9e

This will give me tons of room for a the esc,receiver,and servo. It will also keep the weight of the batteries and motor pretty close to the center. After crunching #'s I have found this is also a very well balanced layout out both front/rear and left/right.

If I hadn't found such an easy way to put the center diff in the rear I may have picked a more commonly used layout but for the center diff I was able to just cut a small plastic sleeve to go on the output shaft of the rear diff and then cut down the output slot on the center diff. Now all I have to do is drill a hole through the output on the center diff and the sleeve and slide in the pin with e-clips on the ends. I haven't drilled the holes because I lost most of my drill bits in the move

I'm very surprised at how well everything fits together it is as if it was meant to be. I will have to put a few spacers under the center bulkheads to make sure that the center diff is at the right height but that shouldn't be a big deal. For the center shaft to the front diff I will be using too female parts of the revo axles connected by one male side in the middle .

I mounted the front end and rear ends. I also got a battery tray mounted and to hold the batteries in it will use two velcro straps like the one in the picture. I'm very excited about how this project is turning out..:nod: and I haven't even gotten to the bodies, wheels, or tires. I will let the pictures speak for themselves..

Next, I will be ordering a Rc8 servo saver to complete the steering and some Revo drive shafts to cut up and put in the center to link the center diff to the front diff.

Ethan
    Last edited by EDS24; 02-21-2010 at 06:49 PM.

RC Champion
    awesome build! I love my sluggy...
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...ghlight=sluggy
    but this is awesome(er), since it's an actual buggy. Good job!
    RC enthusiast!

RC Champion
    where did you get that battery tray?
    RC enthusiast!

RC Competitor
    Rustler Basher: thanks. I found the battery tray just laying around..it seems to be some kind of case for something. There is a top clear piece that fits over it to make it a box. To make it the battery tray I painted it black and cut some foam out. Its too big for 2x 2s batteries so I will use foam padding to take up the space.

RC Competitor
    Made a discovery today.. the stock rc8-e motor mount won't work on this because I want the motor positioned on the left side and the motor mount would put it on the right side so I will have to use a Tekno mount or a novak mount. Or I could move the battery to the right side and the motor to the left side. This would mess with the steering though since the Rc8 steering puts the servo on the right side. and I rather just use a different motor mount.

RC Competitor
    I ordered the Rc8 steering bellcranks/servo saver, Rc8 mud guards, Revo driveshafts for the center shaft, and a Tekno 36mm Motor mount. All these items should be here this week and thus progress will continue.. I can't wait. I was going to buy a Novak motor mount since it is cheaper than the Tekno and the I'm not sure if the motor I am going to be buying will work and its 36mm. But I found a used 36mm Tekno mount for $12 shipped so I decided to try that.