Thread: Pinion Gears

RC Racer

Pinion Gears

I run one 2s lipo on a indoor track and was wondering if I switched to the "speed" pinion gear, if that would reduce the temps on the ESC and Motor. Or maybe even a smaller pinion would work? My goal is to reduce the torque a little (to reduce wheelies a bit) and keep everything cool, but still retain enough speed down the straight and torque to blip over the double.
    typing 1st amendment gets you 60% helping ppl 0%

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesaw Jenkins
    I run one 2s lipo on a indoor track and was wondering if I switched to the "speed" pinion gear, if that would reduce the temps on the ESC and Motor. Or maybe even a smaller pinion would work? My goal is to reduce the torque a little (to reduce wheelies a bit) and keep everything cool, but still retain enough speed down the straight and torque to blip over the double.

You'll have a little less top end but more torque and it should lower your temps somewhat. As to rather you will have enough top end, that's something you'll only know if you try it.

RC Champion
    The problem with going to a smaller pinion on the track is you're increasing the low end acceleration, which can make it harder to put the power down if your traction isn't excellent. You're also going to have more problems with the front end raising if you go to a smaller pinion.

For brushless systems you should gear to temperature more than performance. Get a temp gun and make sure that your motor is under 160F after a full run.
    Traxxas racing!

RC Racer
    Doh! I forgot to mention that I upgraded rims and tires..I am runnin crt .5 rims. Should I gear lower to compensate for the bigger tires?
    typing 1st amendment gets you 60% helping ppl 0%

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesaw Jenkins
    Doh! I forgot to mention that I upgraded rims and tires..I am runnin crt .5 rims. Should I gear lower to compensate for the bigger tires?
    Mos Def!!!
    MMP-NEU 1112 1.5D 4S MERBE
    BEAST MODE [ON] OFF

RC Racer
    I would definitely use the speed gear on a track, maybe even gear lower than 23T depending on the track. You will have problems keeping the front end on the ground but that is even an issue with stock gearing. Stock setup seems to be for very flat open speed run type surfaces.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyTire
    Stock setup seems to be for very flat open speed run type surfaces.
    you mean its designed to get "30MPH" on the box