Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Pinion Gears

  1. #1
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    149

    Pinion Gears

    I run one 2s lipo on a indoor track and was wondering if I switched to the "speed" pinion gear, if that would reduce the temps on the ESC and Motor. Or maybe even a smaller pinion would work? My goal is to reduce the torque a little (to reduce wheelies a bit) and keep everything cool, but still retain enough speed down the straight and torque to blip over the double.
    typing 1st amendment gets you 60% helping ppl 0%

  2. #2
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Valrico, FL
    Posts
    1,679
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesaw Jenkins
    I run one 2s lipo on a indoor track and was wondering if I switched to the "speed" pinion gear, if that would reduce the temps on the ESC and Motor. Or maybe even a smaller pinion would work? My goal is to reduce the torque a little (to reduce wheelies a bit) and keep everything cool, but still retain enough speed down the straight and torque to blip over the double.

    You'll have a little less top end but more torque and it should lower your temps somewhat. As to rather you will have enough top end, that's something you'll only know if you try it.

  3. #3
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,242
    The problem with going to a smaller pinion on the track is you're increasing the low end acceleration, which can make it harder to put the power down if your traction isn't excellent. You're also going to have more problems with the front end raising if you go to a smaller pinion.

    For brushless systems you should gear to temperature more than performance. Get a temp gun and make sure that your motor is under 160F after a full run.
    Traxxas racing!

  4. #4
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    149
    Doh! I forgot to mention that I upgraded rims and tires..I am runnin crt .5 rims. Should I gear lower to compensate for the bigger tires?
    typing 1st amendment gets you 60% helping ppl 0%

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Codova, TN
    Posts
    861
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesaw Jenkins
    Doh! I forgot to mention that I upgraded rims and tires..I am runnin crt .5 rims. Should I gear lower to compensate for the bigger tires?
    Mos Def!!!
    MMP-NEU 1112 1.5D 4S MERBE
    BEAST MODE [ON] OFF

  6. #6
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    211
    I would definitely use the speed gear on a track, maybe even gear lower than 23T depending on the track. You will have problems keeping the front end on the ground but that is even an issue with stock gearing. Stock setup seems to be for very flat open speed run type surfaces.

  7. #7
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyTire
    Stock setup seems to be for very flat open speed run type surfaces.
    you mean its designed to get "30MPH" on the box

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •