RC Racer

Overheating issues

Seems if you try to bash for more than 25 min the ESC overheats. I try going slow but I think that's even worse cause the ESC is doing more work.

Already have a 17tooth pinion in this Revo. It just seems to be prone to getting hot.

RC Qualifier
    I have the same issue. I run 2x 3s 1320mah packs with the speed pinion. It reaches 160 in a matter of minutes. Looking into a 1112 Neu motor and maybe a Mamba Pro in the near future.

RC Enthusiast
    I thermaled mine with 2 pro-match 1600 mah batteries on my driveway in 15 minutes

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Revo Guy
    I thermaled mine with 2 pro-match 1600 mah batteries on my driveway in 15 minutes
    Is that with 6 cell NiMH I assume?

Wonder if going with 5 cell packs would eliminate overheating?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyTire
    Is that with 6 cell NiMH I assume?

Wonder if going with 5 cell packs would eliminate overheating?
    Yes they are 6 cell.

RC Competitor
    Yes but aren't you running some 5in tall 2.2 wheels and tires? I know re gearing will help but that is also a lot of extra weight to be hauling around.

I just got back from running mine. I ran both a 7.4 1300mah lipo and a 11.1 1100mah lipo down to the LVC. Max motor temp was 175, Max esc temp was 185. I do have a heatsinc installed on the motor and I think it helps. Im still running the stock 28T pinion. Outside temp was about 90. This was also running in the dirt.

Running in the grass for prolonged periods could be doing it.. Maybe try adding a heatsinc to the motor and even a little fan to blow on both the motor and ESC. Or cut a hole in the windshield to let some air flow in.

RC Racer
    True but I'm not the only one having issues with shut down problems. You're not running hard enough. Perhaps some stock ESCs are more sensitive than others?

RC Racer
    So far I have only used the stock battery. I can run for about 15 to 17 minutes before I notice the battery running low. I have run a combination of the street and the yard, zig zagging back and forth across the street from yard to yard, etc. I don't have a temp gun yet, but things don't seem to be getting particularly hot for me. I admit though, I don't flat out abuse the thing like I see in a lot of videos.

RC Qualifier
    The main thing is getting ventilation around the motor and ESC.....the shell is so tightly mounted to the chassis it doesn't allow a lot of air to move over them. I cut the front bumper off right up under the headlights and cut out the windshield, so it is doing much better, as far as temps go, even in this 100 degree weather we are having. If you leave it all shut up under a stock lid it is going to thermal....
    momomotorsports - Slash - PE Slash 4x4

RC Racer
    is it only the revo that is having heat issues? i've not had any problems with my slash.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by momo.75
    The main thing is getting ventilation around the motor and ESC.....the shell is so tightly mounted to the chassis it doesn't allow a lot of air to move over them. I cut the front bumper off right up under the headlights and cut out the windshield, so it is doing much better, as far as temps go, even in this 100 degree weather we are having. If you leave it all shut up under a stock lid it is going to thermal....
    Yeah, I'll probably make a couple of holes in the next day or two for some airflow.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Peowraaku
    is it only the revo that is having heat issues? i've not had any problems with my slash.
    I would think the Slash, even without any holes cut, would have a lot more air flow over the motor and ESC just for the fact that the body is bigger and allows more air to flow under it. It also isn't rolling as large a tire, so there is less rotating mass.

RC Champion
    The only problem I am having is my battery packs are getting very hot. 140 degrees plus. The motor and ESC seem fine, so far. I have not beat on my Revo to hard yet, but on the Slash, I had just barely broke into the 100 degree F range, and I even ran two packs back to back.
    You have a rodent infestation. Shall I terminate?

RC Qualifier
    I dont see a problem at all, i cant imagine they are designed to run hard for 25 min or 45. After 17 min in my FLM Stampede, everything is boiling hot but i have a heavy finger. i think we have to stay up for a while and think over.

Just my 2c
    Stampede 4x4 4s | Stampede 4x4 1/12

RC Qualifier
    has any one tried small cooling fans? heat sinks on the motors. small 40mm of 30mm fan would work great.. just solder them strait onto your esc battery connector.. (they run off 12v... and seaming most are running 3s it would run fine)
    GARAGE
    e-revo, ME-revo, micro-t, slash, DX3S

RC Racer
    I would think the Slash, even without any holes cut, would have a lot more air flow over the motor and ESC just for the fact that the body is bigger and allows more air to flow under it. It also isn't rolling as large a tire, so there is less rotating mass.
    Yeah, seeing these threads made me worried until I saw the comment about making holes in the revo body.

RC Racer

Got any pics you can post of the venting/cooling mods you did?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyTire
    Got any pics you can post of the venting/cooling mods you did?
    I hope to have some up later today showing the vents as well as the new race tires and such.

RC Racer
    How bad do you all think it is to continuously bash the car till it overheats then shuts down, let it cool 5-10min then do it all over again?

Tip I didn't know till reading the complete manual last night. There are 2 stages to overheating, 1st (not that you can see it but) the light blinks and cuts power 50% as a warning, 2nd is the motor gets shut off light goes normal(I think).