RC Racer

Some Friendly Suggestions

Ok so I have my new ERevo VXL and I have to say its awsome! Aside from the shear technological prowess shown by Traxxas by this little guy I have some questions about some of the things I have seen from running my ERVXL.

First, it the whole suspension seems alittle loose. Even though everything is tight it just seems like the tolerances aren't as close as I would have thought but no big deal.

Second, rockers without bearings. They have a plastic bushing which I guess allow for lower weight and do the job just fine but they do allow more slop in the rocker which translates to the wheels. Once agian im sure theres a reason for plastic bushings instead of sealed bearings.

Third, sheer lack of suspension adjustment. Yes ride height is easy to adjust just like its bigger brother, shock dampening easy to adjust with different weight oils, and camber is easy to adjust with allen wrench. But no caster, toe, roll center, rocker choice out of the box and a few other choice suspension tweaks. Im sure the stock setup is great and from the running I have been doing on 12cell NiMh its great but from a race point of view I wish I could tweak it a bit more.

All in all I am extreamly pleased with this Mini, which really is not much as a mini as a EREB for indoors with 50mph speed for outdoor fun. I love this little thing and cant wait to show my buddy that he wasted his money on a RC18MT when I blow his lexan sticker doors off.

Im sure ill find some bearings to fit into rockers, I have already ordered aluminum push rods and tubes from tower(who knows when Ill see them?) which will allow for toe adjustments and as far as the other adjustments Im not to worried about them, Im more worried about breaking it and having to wait for replacment parts.

Anyway my favorite Traxxas truck ever already!!!
    If you dont like it, just change the warranty.

RC Racer
    Im sure ill find some bearings to fit into rockers
    I have already replaced those and the plastic bushings in the steering bellcrank with Traxxas ball bearings. Just look at the exploded view for the sizes. Inexpensive upgrade.

RC Champion
    All in all I am extreamly pleased with this Mini, which really is not much as a mini as a EREB for indoors with 50mph speed for outdoor fun. I love this little thing and cant wait to show my buddy that he wasted his money on a RC18MT when I blow his lexan sticker doors off.
    And then laugh as he starts to spend all his money tying too get it as good as your REVO is .
    At WARN 80% and climbing !

RC Qualifier
    The loose wheels and suspension was the first thing I noticed too when I took it out of the box.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by J.A.T.O.3.3
    And then laugh as he starts to spend all his money tying too get it as good as your REVO is .
    He already is, hes gonna spend $150 on a 1/18th brushless setup for it. I told him to sell the truck and get a ERVXL with money from the truck and $150 he was gonna spend on a brushless setup. Maybe he will wise up and buy Traxxas.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Carguy
    The loose wheels and suspension was the first thing I noticed too when I took it out of the box.
    On mine much of the looseness in the suspension was a result of the 8 screws that attach the shocks not being tight enough, I tightened them up a little as well as the screws on all the other suspension linkages and now the only slop in the suspension comes from the pillowball caps, which are not adjustable unfortunately.

RC Qualifier
    Maybe some of the after market companies will solve some of these issues...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Redman65
    Thats what im hoping and im sure they will. These trucks are still very very new and it takes time but I do hope Traxxas adds more stock parts to there inventory.

RC Enthusiast
    Well, if Traxxas people designed any of their toy to be durable and perfect in every aspect, then business will not last long. When we bought the mini, its just the beginning of a long lasting business relationship. Buy some stocks so you will have something back.
    whc cm u?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by axlebolt
    Well, if Traxxas people designed any of their toy to be durable and perfect in every aspect, then business will not last long. When we bought the mini, its just the beginning of a long lasting business relationship. Buy some stocks so you will have something back.
    I think Traxxas products are among the most durable in the business. Its just hard to make a suspension arm withstand hitting a tree at 50mph. I believe there trucks exceed all expectations, its just most of us push them hard and break them. Many times they dont break and thats the point.

RC Racer
    I know having a vehicle with slop and flexibility can be annoying and makes it seem low quality but keep in mind that traxxas engineered and designed this vehicle to be durable and strong and since it is made of plastic it has to flex.

when you completely eliminate slop, flex and play, it can make the chassis wear/break in ways it is not meant to.....and eventually the play will just come back.

Another factor is built in failure points. when you plan to replace the plastic bushings in the rocker arms and steering ackerman piece with ball bearings it could very well move a failure point to a harder to replace and more expensive part. this means instead of the bushings wearing on the metal mounting post it would wear the rockers and possibly the pivot balls out.

This is by far is my favorite vehicle and i have already started modding and setting it up for racing with hole shot tires all the way around and different shock oil and on a test race day i was in within one lap of the 1/10 scale trucks just with those two changes

Just some thoughts and cautions.....

RC Enthusiast
    The bearings you need for the rockers are PN 5124 you will 4 packs.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKMA4
    Bearings for the steering link, PN 5114 you will need 1 package
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHFS5
    These do fit but are a little tight but they do work.
    I have changed mine out and one of my rockers did not have a plastic bushing installed at all. No problem because i was going to install the ball bearings anyway.
    It was worth the $20.00 because it really tightened up the slop in the rockers.
    The Mini Revo is really a well thought out truck.
    Last edited by laddy; 06-22-2009 at 02:09 AM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Redman65
    Aftermarket companies????? Come on, guys.....the hop ups that are being manufacturered by traxxas solve all of the issues you mentioned......the trucks have been out less than a week. give them enough time to make oem replacement parts for all of the hobby shops, then, get the hop up parts as they make them. Most of the hop up parts will be available within the next month or so, according to Traxxas, so, chill.....