RC Qualifier

So should we just do 2S?

I am seeing a lot of issues with heat and 3S..

I know in another post I already asked if I should even do the 3S.

Would 2S be a happy medium? and keep us all in check?? I think I will keep my 3S packs for some speed runs but general bashing would 2S be the way to go??

Thanks

I just wanted to start topic to see what everyone thinks

Jim

I was picking up my mini today but it will have to wait until tomorrow... I could not get there in time today!

I want to get batteries at my LHS while I am there...

Also since I dont have it yet.. what pinion do you use with 2S? factory or "speed" pinion?
    Three Summits

RC Qualifier
    Factory pinion for 2s as it is similar voltage to the stock 7.2v pack. Once you drive it in the stock configuration even with the stock battery pack I think you will find there is plenty of torque and top speed for general running. I would save 3s for high speed runs with lower gearing.

RC Champion
    I didn't find the 3s to be worthwhile honestly, it's just too much torque. It's not good for much other than impressing people with straightline high speed runs, and even then it's hard to keep the nose down.

I ran into a similar issue with I bought a VXL Stampede when they came out. I bought a 3s lipo for it because I wanted it to have all the power that was possible, but after a week I ordeded a 2s lipo and hardly used the 3 cell again.

2s lipo will have a bit more power than the stock battery, because it will have a better discharge rating, so it can deliver more power on demand. It won't be as drastic as the 3s lipos, but it won't be as out of control either.
    Traxxas racing!

RC Qualifier
    That does it.. I am getting some 2S then... I am not going for a land speed record just reliable bashing!!

besides.. the maxamps 2 combo 2200 kit is saying 45 minutes of run time around 40 MPH... that is HAPPY medium!!

I will see what the LHS has to offer in 2s ... if nothing else I will order some Maxamps
    Three Summits

RC Champion
    I am only going to run one 2S pack as these things for there size are fast enough with the stock NIMH battery so with a 2S you up performance and lose the extra weight so it should be a perfect match... these things with any more voltage are only meant for a few fast runs up and down a smooth flat surface and that's about all...if you want to run in dirt stick with 2S.
    Thanks
    Z....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathchild
    I didn't find the 3s to be worthwhile honestly, it's just too much torque. It's not good for much other than impressing people with straightline high speed runs, and even then it's hard to keep the nose down.

I ran into a similar issue with I bought a VXL Stampede when they came out. I bought a 3s lipo for it because I wanted it to have all the power that was possible, but after a week I ordeded a 2s lipo and hardly used the 3 cell again.

2s lipo will have a bit more power than the stock battery, because it will have a better discharge rating, so it can deliver more power on demand. It won't be as drastic as the 3s lipos, but it won't be as out of control either.
    I completely agree. The fun begins to wear off once you have so much power the vehicle becomes undriveable.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by milkman
    That does it.. I am getting some 2S then... I am not going for a land speed record just reliable bashing!!

besides.. the maxamps 2 combo 2200 kit is saying 45 minutes of run time around 40 MPH... that is HAPPY medium!!

I will see what the LHS has to offer in 2s ... if nothing else I will order some Maxamps
    Do you have a link for that combo?

Nevermind - found it.
    Last edited by TheOMan; 06-21-2009 at 10:29 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOMan
    Do you have a link for that combo?

Nevermind - found it.
    link??????
    GARAGE
    e-revo, ME-revo, micro-t, slash, DX3S

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by concreat
    link??????
    http://www.maxamps.com/products.php?cat=221

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOMan
    WOW $150 for 2 3s 1600 lipos and an adaptor thats real steep.

RC Racer

Max Amp Batteries

Quote Originally Posted by RcPocketRocket
    WOW $150 for 2 3s 1600 lipos and an adaptor thats real steep.
    I agree....Steep is right..~~~!! Does anyone have a cheaper solution without losing too much quality ?

RC Racer
    http://www.*********.com/*********/s...00mAh_2S1P_20C
    At 13 dollars a piece who cares about quality. But seriously people have many of good things to say about these ***** batteries.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by NY DIRT
    I agree....Steep is right..~~~!! Does anyone have a cheaper solution without losing too much quality ?
    Just bought a bunch of these http://www.*********.com/*********/s..._15C_Lipo_Pack
    I have the 3s 5000s and they are excellent by far the best batteries I have. They are mislabled 20-30c batteries. When I ordered them I did not expect much but they are better than zippies. So I ordered a few 2s and 3s 1600 for this mini @ $8 and $10 a piece how can I got wrong. I also have a MaxAmps 5000MAH Set of batteries 3s that I paid some serious cash for for my ERBE Full size the ******* are Noticably better actually it is like night and day.

RC Qualifier
    I am not too familiar with lipo stuff so please forgive the really stupid question: How in the word can a battery that cost $10 (*******) be better than one that costs nearly $80 (maxamps)?
    HPI Savage LOSI Mini/MicroT, MRC Traxxas Revo VXL

RC Racer
    Becuase they dont have advertising fees or as much of a mark up as maxamps. The *****s are decent packs and it all depends what you can afford. Even if one fails who cares. You could buy one maxamp pack or about 3 to 4 *****s for the same price depending on specs.

RC Qualifier
    Are the zippies and Turnigies waterproof like Maxamps?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Precision Man
    Are the zippies and Turnigies waterproof like Maxamps?

No , but if you plasti dip them they would be .
    At WARN 80% and climbing !

RC Qualifier
    What is plati dip, I have never heard of it before. It it some kind of plastic goo that sticks to the packs and seals them?

RC Racer
    Pretty much. I think you can get plasti dip at a place like mills fleet farm or menards, home depot, lowes, ect. Its liquid and then dries harder.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Precision Man
    I am not too familiar with lipo stuff so please forgive the really stupid question: How in the word can a battery that cost $10 (*******) be better than one that costs nearly $80 (maxamps)?
    Without getting into a brand battle, Maxamps has been one of the most expensive labels in lipos for some time now.

The ***** lipos are assembled in Hong Kong, using the same cells that many name brands use, which are also assembled in Hong Kong. The difference is that the *****s are then wrapped in blue heatshrink and sold from there. The namebrands are shipped to the US, relabeled, promoted, and sold at a markup. Again, I don't want to get into a brand war, but I've used many brands of lipos and I've had nothing but great success with ***** brands. I've used them in 1/8 scale electrics that have high amp draws and RC helis and airplanes, which also have high amp draws for extended periods.

I rarely ever use any other brand now, because at 1/2 to 1/3 the price, the perform as well as many brands.

On the waterproof question, I put that to Maxamps after they started selling them. The cells are the same, they just put a different wrap on to keep water off the connection tabs. As they told me, LiPos themselves are waterproof, however the water on the tabs will degrade the connections over time. I use some large latex balloons (often called Punch Balloons, google them) to wrap my lipos when I need them to be waterproof. I've had ***** lipos submerged completely under water and still running the motors when protected like this, without issue.
    Traxxas racing!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathchild
    Without getting into a brand battle, Maxamps has been one of the most expensive labels in lipos for some time now.

The ***** lipos are assembled in Hong Kong, using the same cells that many name brands use, which are also assembled in Hong Kong. The difference is that the *****s are then wrapped in blue heatshrink and sold from there. The namebrands are shipped to the US, relabeled, promoted, and sold at a markup. Again, I don't want to get into a brand war, but I've used many brands of lipos and I've had nothing but great success with ***** brands. I've used them in 1/8 scale electrics that have high amp draws and RC helis and airplanes, which also have high amp draws for extended periods.

I rarely ever use any other brand now, because at 1/2 to 1/3 the price, the perform as well as many brands.

On the waterproof question, I put that to Maxamps after they started selling them. The cells are the same, they just put a different wrap on to keep water off the connection tabs. As they told me, LiPos themselves are waterproof, however the water on the tabs will degrade the connections over time. I use some large latex balloons (often called Punch Balloons, google them) to wrap my lipos when I need them to be waterproof. I've had ***** lipos submerged completely under water and still running the motors when protected like this, without issue.
    I am With you on this one. While I would love to buy from a local company there was nothing avail from LHS 4 of them, Except 900MAH E_flites for like 69 each. Max amps while I think they make decent batteries they are not exceptional and the price is not even reasonable to me. Their Hyperion Chargers on the other hand are the best I have yet to buy or see anywhere, and the Charger prices are reasonable. More Info there are currently no plants in the USA making lipo cells they all come from other countries. There is a Plant that will make very high quality Lipos coming online in the USA in about a year. From what I know they will make copper tab cells for a few big companies. I do not know if they will sell to the smaller companies.
    One thing they will be making is big battery packs for full size cars that are injection molded out of thousands of lipos.

RC Qualifier
    Thank you Wrathchild. I will consider the zippies when I start to convert to Lipos near Christmas time. I will watch this forum for progress reports on the batteries for the next few months and decide then.

Thanks a bunch everyone for the tips.

RC poster
    Wrathchild is correct on the Zippies. I have been using lipos for about 3 years now and have gone through every which brand. In the last year I switched to ***** for my high amp draw helis and the zippies have provided the best power yet.

If you can catch zippies while they are in stock I would jump on them real quick.