Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Champion
    A lipo fully charged is 4.2 volts per cell ... so 16.8 volts. Equivalent lipo is "usually" lighter than a NiMH.

Capacity vs. Resting voltage (12 hours of idle)
    4.20v = 100%
    4.03v = 76%
    3.86v = 52%
    3.83v = 42%
    3.79v = 30%
    3.70v = 11%
    3.6?v = 0%

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by egoneski
    the only thing that lipo's do is give you more run time, nimh will give you more pop since the volts are higher than lipo, which is why they drain faster. cause i definitely notice a difference with my nimh and lipo's, plus it is basic electronics more volts, more power.
    This is ABSOLUTLY wrong. I know from experience and have had the details explained to me. Yes the NiMh carries a higher voltage rating, if you are comparing 2 X 7 cell NiMh to 2 X 2S1P LiPos, but the burst and sustained current is significantly different with the LiPos, kicking butt. Also, when you hit the gas, the voltage output of the battery packs react differently, the NiMh drops a large amount while the LiPos maintin their output. This all is based on comparing 7 cell NiMh to 2S1P LiPos but if you are going to upgrade the ESC to handle LiPos, anything big enough to handle 2 motors will also handle 3S1Ps which will give you 11 volts per pack.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SummitCrazed!
    Oh my. I blew out one of my Pro-matched packs today.

All part of the hobby I guess... Waiting to hear back from Pro-Match for there advice.

Nate.
    I put some KD 700HO's V2 in my E-Maxx and toasted one of my Pro-Match Ener-G 4600 packs. Same thing, one cell vented. Only got about 3 minutes of run time. Bad part is both motors went "Zzzt" by the time I noticed that the batt was toast. Got some KD 700HO's V2 coming for my Summit, kinda afraid to put them in tho. Dan @ Kershaws was nice enough to send out some replacements , stands behind his stuff. Pro-Match replied "It is impossible for a battery to fry a motor unless the motor was not designed for the number of cells you used. A battery can only give out less power if a cell goes bad, making the car run slower. However a car that has a defective speed control, motor, or wiring CAN draw very high currents which will overheat the cells. It is impossible for me to diagnose a problem without being there. I would tend to think there is a problem like I mentioned above. Another thing to check is gear mesh and make sure that there is nothing causing drag on the drivetrain.". So not really sure what went wrong. Using stock everything on truck. Let ya know what happens when replacements come in. All part of the hobby I guess... Learn from others mistakes.

RC Qualifier
    Interesting, I think I might try and reset my gear mesh with a thicker piece of paper.

Thanks for the info,

Nate.
    [QUOTE=Corrijo]Welcome to the crazed family of summit owners.[/QUOTE]

RC Champion
    Nate, Stock 20 lb printer paper is fine. Do not remove the paper until everything is snugged down. The paper should flow out nicely when you turn the gears.

RC Enthusiast
    First and formost this is a very very good install guide! I manufacture our own line of suspension parts for Air ride trucks and cars and your install guide is as good as what we do for our products. so thanks for the write up.
    so did the torque get any higher? i was going to run the dual 775 also but i mostly run in the mud/water/ and climp rocks and dirty hills, Not much full out high gear bashing. So did it make a differnce on the crawling?

Thanks
    Richie

RC Qualifier
    "they are new motors, I have to break them in first,"

Didn't you break them in by running them underwater in a sink for 60 minutes like you were showed in the video ???

I have almost all the "Summit Goodies", by Kershaw Designs except for the " Suspension Arm Extension Kit" going to get that on Friday. So, I will be
    doing the "Dual 700 HO Motor" upgrade first thing next week.

Thanks for the great pictorial.

Dave
    Traxxas T-Maxx ABMOD 33
    Traxxas Dual 700HO Summit

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyLegalFab
    First and formost this is a very very good install guide! I manufacture our own line of suspension parts for Air ride trucks and cars and your install guide is as good as what we do for our products. so thanks for the write up.
    so did the torque get any higher? i was going to run the dual 775 also but i mostly run in the mud/water/ and climp rocks and dirty hills, Not much full out high gear bashing. So did it make a differnce on the crawling?

Thanks
    Richie
    Thanks for the nice comments! Torque? Lol, this thing could probably pull over 200 lbs.!(Well, the motors anyway, I am sure something in the drivetrain would strip) It has such a mean noise when you run in low gear! Sound like a jet turbine at full RPMS!!! And that is with 16T pinons, if you kept the stock ones, it could climb straight up walls!

Lol, really though, if you do this set-up LIPOS LIPOS LIPOS!!! I only get 20 minutes out of my 7 cell 5000mAh Pro-Match packs, not to mention the amp draw fries any lesser batts! I didn't see much of a difference crawling. You have to re-tune the suspension with the extra weight, but the Summit is extremely capable stock, I did see a difference in mud/water/snow! No more getting bogged down, it just destroys(can't think of a better word ) right on threw it!

Hope this helps, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, lifes been crazy!

Nate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty350LT1
    "they are new motors, I have to break them in first,"

Didn't you break them in by running them underwater in a sink for 60 minutes like you were showed in the video ???

I have almost all the "Summit Goodies", by Kershaw Designs except for the " Suspension Arm Extension Kit" going to get that on Friday. So, I will be
    doing the "Dual 700 HO Motor" upgrade first thing next week.

Thanks for the great pictorial.

Dave
    Well, everyone I talked to about how to brake them in, said just take it easy the first few runs, and you will be able to "feel" when the brushes set. These are for the Titan 775's, not the KD 700-HOs. Even Dan, at Kershaw, told me he wouldn't recommend the under water brake-in, if the manufacturer didn't mention it.

Wow dude, sounds like you are going to have a sick Summit!! Can't wait to see pics,

Nate.

RC Qualifier
    SummitCrazed!

Did you install a "Dynamite Failsafe" on your Summit ?

Just curious about runnaways.
    Traxxas T-Maxx ABMOD 33

RC Qualifier
    Nope, no fail safe, I like living life on the edge.

RC Qualifier
    SummitCrazed

I did set mine up with the 20t pinion and I also installed
    the "Kershaw ESC Fan Kit" on mine just to keep things cool.
    Runs great. I love my "Super Summit".
    Traxxas T-Maxx ABMOD 33

RC Champion
    Lipo voltage holds up better under load, so even though a 7 cell nimh has 8.4V nominal voltage, when under heavy load, it will drop significantly lower than even a 2S Lipo battery (7.4V nominal). Hence, you can gear higher with Lipo, and get faster speeds with "less voltage" than nimh.
    Two Rusty VXLs, M2Ks 18/83 - Tag! You're it!

RC Qualifier
    so how is the EVX2 holding up to the two 775 motors?

i want to do a winter conversion, and ditch the MMM. I like the MMM but I really just want to be waterproof without worries...

did you install a lipo cutoff or alarm?
    Three Summits

RC Qualifier
    I don't have lipo's yet, can't justify the cost yet. So, that being said, with my Pro-Match packs, I haven't had any problems with the EVX-2. Hasn't thermaled yet. I think I could get it to thermal it I put a 21 tooth pinon or larger on it, and ran lipos. Something would have to give on that set-up.

RC Champion
    Can't justify the cost? Lipos are far cheaper than ur promatch packs!

2x ******* 5000mah 20c hardcase packs : $40
    iMax B6 lipo balance charger: $40
    Power supply: $15
    2x Lipo alarm: $6
    EMS speedy shipping (necessary) $30

Total: $131

And how much were those promatch packs? LOL
    HB Ve8 w/ tekin (AWESOME)
    E-Slayer w/MMM
    SC10

RC Enthusiast
    I agree on the LiPos, I also have a small caution. I have 2S Rhinos, 2S *******s and 4S *****s. the only problem I have had was one of the tunrigy's puffed after about 10 charges. I never charge faster than 1C and I alwys balance. I also run strictly LiPo rated ESC's (mix of Novak and Castle) so they have never been run below standard LiPo cutoff. The packs are fast, great run time, run cool and are CHEAP, but don't expect Reedy quality. I use Reedy's for my T4 and B4 and the ********* and Thunder Power for my RC8Te for racing, but my bashers all run on either Rhino's, *******'s or *****'s and I am not sure that they wouldn't work for racing as well, except AE's battery compartments are too small for any of them. They work great in my Traxxas and Losi.

Also, for sure pay the 30 bucks for EMS shipping. I didn't on one porder and it took 4 weeks.

RC Qualifier
    Well, headed back to stock set-up today. I would compare dual 775's to the KD 970's. Just to much power for NiMH's, and the stock EVX-2. If I ever get some Li-Po's(not likely, ALL of my runs end up in something wet, and I am not paying for max-craps waterproofness) I will toss them back in, and look into a better(not waterproof) ESC.

All and all, it was a good, fun experience, and I learned allot about how everything works, and is put together, including the rear diff I had to rebuild after blowing it out. But, in the end, I didn't have the funds to take it all the way.

Merry Christmas,

Nate.

RC Qualifier

cool conversion!

Hi cool conversion,wish i'd thought of that before wasting my money on the v970 conversion ,it nearly wrecked my truck!

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, I think it is awesome, but they draw way to many amps for NiMH's. Oh well, at least my runtime is back now.

RC Qualifier
    I am now back to stock Motor and Esc with SMC 8000 2S lipos with a Novak SS. I am running the 65T Spur rather than the stock 68T.

Overall as you would suspect, it is not a MMM! But for the purpose of the truck, it is a happy medium.

I recommend it. Throw your Lipos in a sandwich baggie, or large balloon with a zip tie and you are good to go.
    Three Summits

RC Qualifier
    one quick question cant u use the stock revo twin plate????just wondering

RC Qualifier
    I think thestock e revo twin plate places the motors too low / too clse to the tranny to fit a 775. never actully measured it but by eyeballing i think it would be too tight of a fit.

hey summitCrazed, you stated that you are returning to stock so what exactly happened to the esc n batts, were the run times simply to short, where the batts getting hot or was the esc thermalling, and I second the lipo option, you would be suprised how much run time you would get with 5000 mah packs, I have cheap *****s and me dewalted summit gives me nearly 30 min of driving and LIGHT bashing, and my dewalt is a torque/power hungry monster

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by trx_3.3_god
    one quick question cant u use the stock revo twin plate????just wondering
    Nope, the spacing of the mounting screws is different on the 775 then the 550, so even if it wasn't too low, and hitting the transmission, you would have to drill different set of mounting holes.

Quote Originally Posted by noir522
    I think thestock e revo twin plate places the motors too low / too clse to the tranny to fit a 775. never actully measured it but by eyeballing i think it would be too tight of a fit.

hey summitCrazed, you stated that you are returning to stock so what exactly happened to the esc n batts, were the run times simply to short, where the batts getting hot or was the esc thermalling, and I second the lipo option, you would be suprised how much run time you would get with 5000 mah packs, I have cheap *****s and me dewalted summit gives me nearly 30 min of driving and LIGHT bashing, and my dewalt is a torque/power hungry monster
    Runtimes where satisfactory, if I really tore it up, and bashed hard, I could get about 10 minutes, and if I kept it in low gear and just crawled, I got 20 to 25 minutes, not bad at all for 4600, and 5000MaH Pro-Match packs.

The ESC never thermaled, which makes me wonder if it wasn't malfunctioning. It would get HOT, and I mean HOT. Once to the point of me just tapping the heatsinks with my finger, made a sizzle noise like a sausage on a hot grill!!

The one time I tried really hard to thermal the EVX-2 was at a gravel parking lot, and repeated full throttle bursts, to go "drifting" around the gravel. But, before the ESC went, I popped two Pro-Match cells(it was the 4600 packs). The pack had been having some trouble balancing, and false peaking, but at that time they where all I had(besides some Traxxas packs that I wouldn't dare run like that, I call them my low gear batts. ). That was when I got the heatsink grill marks on my finger, and melted some of the plastic inside the battery compartment.

So, I found the weak link that day, and knew the limits of the NiMH's, after that, it was fun for awhile, but I wasn't getting enough performance above stock, to justify the batts always coming out burning hot.

It is nice to have it back to stock, and be able to run it wide open, without worrying. I have two back up 775's now, so I can beat it to death!

Hope I helped ya,

Nate.
    Last edited by SummitCrazed!; 12-29-2009 at 08:45 AM.

RC Qualifier
    so with a little bit dremling this can work correct

RC poster
    Have you seen this vid of a Summit with the HO's,i think they will be sweet in my e-maxx with a two speed transmission.And i didn't realise there are two different 700's,the HO's are supposed to be as powerfull as the 970's which is what i was looking for.Nuff POWAHH!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOOpp...eature=related

RC Competitor
    Dang! rusty! lol!
    RustlerVXL LosiMRC BladeCX2 HimotoRapidaPro MicroT

RC poster
    You have potentialy doubled your discharge rate on the nimh's by adding another 775, any new packs of nimh you buy irregardless of brand or quality will be short lived, get some high discharge rated lipos and you be a whole lot better off.

RC Racer
    I did the same conversion. Within an hour I melted one of my 775s. I have no clue why. My battery life went down to unacceptable times. I love the twin motor capability I have now, I just need to find the right motors. I'm thinking about using the Vels. It stays waterproof that way.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by egoneski View Post
    the only thing that lipo's do is give you more run time, nimh will give you more pop since the volts are higher than lipo, which is why they drain faster. cause i definitely notice a difference with my nimh and lipo's, plus it is basic electronics more volts, more power.
    r u running 1000 mah lipos ? obviously u have no clue of what ur talking about....

RC Racer
    The website at Kershawn says a single 700 motor is twice more power than a titan 775 is that true? How many hours of run time do you usually get out of a Kershawn motor?

RC Racer
    Excellent install thread, you have inspired me! I see a dual motor setup in mynsummits future is summer

RC poster
    you should hold on to the rear bumper see how far it goes before it breaks

RC Racer
    I ordered the 15T pinions from Kershaw but the overlap a bit. So I am also looking for another pinion that fits so I can try 16T or something. I heard that Golden Horizons pinions fit but they charge $20 for shipping to Europe.

What other pinion fit? Do I simply have to look for 15T 32P Steel Pinion Gear with 5mm bore like:
    - Team Novak NOV5155 15T 32P Nickel-Plated Steel Pinion Gear
    - GH Racing Steel Pinion Gear 16T/32 Pitch Dia. 5mm Harden Steel.
    - Traxxas E-Maxx 15t Steel 32p Pinion Gear 5mm Bore

RC Racer
    I am wanting to do the same build with dual Titans 775 motors; yet two Evx-2 esc as well. Any suggestions before I start ordering parts

RC Racer
    Awesome job on the write up. I'm new and don't have a Summit and I still understood it.

RC poster

RC poster

dual titan 775 motors

What modifications do you have to do to the esc, so you can run the twin titans 775 motor with the evx 2 because those are bigger motor = more voltage

RC Qualifier
    Hey could you tell me wich mounting plate to get? the one for 775 with 4mm screws or 5mm screws. Is it well worth the 60 bucks + install time? Also is there a gear cover that fits over both motors so nothing gets inside there? Im just doing it for all around bashing. is the dual 775 or the dual 600ho motors better. modding my summit for a movie im gonna film.
    Last edited by boston2612; 12-27-2011 at 11:42 PM.
    Slash rocks!!!

RC Competitor
    Can we get the pics rehosted in the original thread ?