Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Dual/Twin Titan 775/KD 700-HO complete install.(56k warning)

Here it is, the dual Titan 775’s/Kershaw designs 700-HO's build thread!! I searched high and low for a step-by-step guide for installing the 700-HO’s, or in my case the Titan 775’s, in an E-Revo/Summit, but couldn’t find anything. Don’t get me wrong, the Kershaw manual is very helpful, but I am a total RC noob, and wanted step-by-step. So, now that I figured it out, I thought I would post a step-by-step, for any other noob out there that isn’t sure they could put these in. Trust me, if I can do it, SO CAN YOU!!!!

Post, any and all questions/comments please!!

I know about the rust/dirt. Sorry, I have just been lazy since I started working again.

Alright, here we go, first you have to move the EVX-2. When you first get into it, it may seem that the EVX-2 receiver wire is very short, but don’t worry Traxxas has you covered. Just pop the top of the receiver box, and you will find plenty of wire coiled up inside. Just gently pull it out though the back, until you have enough to reach where you would like to place the EVX-2…

The Kershaw designs manual suggests you stick it to the top of one of your steering servos. I wanted it somewhere where the batts., would still be able to plug in, without any chassis mods/extensions. So, I mounted it to the rear body posts…

Next, we get all the parts layed out…

Time to get into the install. First, unplug the EVX-2’s motor wires. I didn’t get a pic. Of this, but I think you can figure it out.

Then we flip the Summit over, and open the little cover in the center skid plate to reveal the rear drive shaft. Turn the drive shaft so that the pin is showing…

Use your 2.0mm hex “T” wrench to unscrew the pin…

Now the front drive shaft is a little tricky. You have to go in at an odd angle just behind the servo saver arm. If you have large fingers, like me, you should use needle nosed pliers to grab the pin after it has be unscrewed…

Now that you have the pins out, pull/pry the drive shafts off of the transmission…

Now, keep the parts on a light colored cloth, as not to lose any of the really small parts…
    [QUOTE=Corrijo]Welcome to the crazed family of summit owners.[/QUOTE]

RC Qualifier
    Now, undo the four transmission screws, here, here, here, and here. Careful, the transmission might fall out at this point. Don’t just grab and pull, I will tell you why in a few pics…

Set the screws aside, out of the way…

This is why you shouldn’t rip the transmissions out. You can see here, the shifting assembly is part of the transmission. It goes under the rear diff lock linkage.

You have to unscrew the servo arm, and pop it off of the gear…

As you pull out the transmission, thread the shifting assembly under the rear diff lock linkage, and you are free from the truck!!!(That is, if you have already unplugged the EVX-2’s motor wires like mentioned in the first step…)

Now you can start work on the Kershaw Designs dual 700-HO motor plate. Take off the gear cover, by removing this little screw…

Then, take off the old Titan by removing these two screws. Careful of the washers on the top screw…

Toss it in the spare parts bin along with the gear cover, you won’t need them anymore…

Now you can remove the spur/slipper assembly. Careful, lots of parts here…

RC Qualifier
    Keep an eye on the little spring, don’t want to lose that! Take off the spur gear…

Then the ware disc…

Then the last plate. CAREFUL OF THAT LITTLE PIN. It can slide right out, and go bouncing across the floor never to be found again

Now, remove the four screws that hold the old motor mount on, and save the screws, you need then for the new plate!

Toss just the plate in with the spare parts, and you are ready for the smaller piece of the KD motor mount…

There is only one way it will fit. Make sure the side with the indentations for the four screws is facing up…

And secure is with the four screws you saved from the last step…

Done, time to remount the slipper/spur. Put the nasty little pin back though…

RC Qualifier
    And make sure the bottom plate is seated properly on the pin…

Then put the ware disc back on…

Make sure the four teeth line up, and lock in…

Throw the spur back in…

And tighten her down. Tighten it all the way, and then back off a ¼ turn(Note, the nut is just sitting on top of the bolt, this is not what it should look like after tightening)…

Now, grab the larger piece of the KD motor mount, and put the screw though the washer, then the mount that is already on the transmission, then threw the metal spacers, the other washer, and then the nut…

Oh yeah, I forgot, I am lock-tightening everything. You just need a tiny drop on each bolt…

After you have all three bolts on, you can tighten everything down…

Now you can bring out the new Titan 775’s, or 700-HO’s…

RC Qualifier
    Line ‘um up, screw ‘um in. Leave them a little loose though; you still have to set the gear mesh…

Oh yeah!! Starting to look beastly now!!!!

Find the pinions, lock-tite the set-screws, and install them…

Set the gear mesh with a simple piece of printer/copier paper…

Ready to rock!!! Time to drop the trans. back in, and you get your first glimpse of awesomeness!!!

Remember, when you drop the trans., to thread the shifting assembly under the rear diff lock linkage…

Line up the drive shafts…

And screw them in (with lock-tite of course)…

Put the four screws back in…

Close up the little cover….

RC Qualifier
    Plug in the motors. Just follow how the Stock E-Revo Titans are plugged into the Stock EVX-2, and you will be fine…

Now, some people snip ‘um off, some people re-solder just one plug back on, but I wanted to be able to use both the titan as spares, if the set-up didn’t work out. So, I just electrical trapped them up. I did each one individually, and then together…

Now we are officially done!!! And ready to rock!!!!! I have only been able to drive a few minutes around the house, and as they are new motors, I have to break them in first, so the running review won’t be for awhile now. I will say that, not even five minutes of very slow running around the house, the EVX-2’s heat sinks where very hot. I hope I won’t have to use a fan, but I already have my eye on a water/dust proof one.

RC Qualifier
    So, thanks for reading/looking at my book here. Post any questions, I will answer them to the best of my ability!! I will leave you with some finished product pictures…

Thanks again,

Nate.

Tags, for anyone searching…

dual twin combo kit Kershaw Designs 700-HO 700-ho 700-HO’s 700-ho’s 700hos 700 Titan 775 775’s 775s motor plate Titans dual titan 775 twin 775.

I can’t think of any more tags, but hopefully anyone searching the forum, will find it.

RC poster
    So how does it run with 2 775 motors? Is it faster?

RC Competitor
    looks cool man but you might wanna get a can or two of wd40 or spray silicone or something.

RC Qualifier
    Just finished running it full bore, and it runs grate!! Tons of power, wheelies on demand, and a little faster. I must say, I wasn't impressed with the new top speed, but acceleration, and power are awesome!!!

I am only running 16T pinions, so it might be 2 or 3 MPH faster? Not much at all, but I get there allot faster!!

I am happy with it, might need a fan for the EVX-2 for real hard bashing, but so far it has been ok.

Nate.

RC Qualifier
    ah now to gear it right, the tough part, very nice build, i enjoyed the walkthrough much, thanks.
    T8 sensored/Xerun-150a/custom chassis/fit body

RC Qualifier
    Hey, if there are any mods out there, I spent about 8 hours total on this build thread.

If I could get it stickyed, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks,

Nate.

RC Racer
    Gearing man.....16t are not going to get you much more top speed. Slap some 22 or 25 t on there.....35 40 easy.
    E-Revo-MMM 2200-4s-5s-6s
    Go ***** Go!

RC Champion
    a can of WD-40 for at least your screws would be a good thing as stated by another member before.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bisque98
    Gearing man.....16t are not going to get you much more top speed. Slap some 22 or 25 t on there.....35 40 easy.
    Yeah, but then I would at least need a fan! I would definitely burn something up with that kind of gearing!!! I'm thinking a 20T would be max for this set-up. Anything higher, and I would have to stick to pavement.

Yeah, I know about the rust, I really have to get on that...

Nate.

RC Champion
    Great job Nate! If jetlag2222 can get 29 mph out of dual 700 HO V2s on E-Revo wheels and tires ..... you can do it. The stock Summit tires are not going to cut it .... too soft. I see new wheels and tires in your future!!

RC Qualifier
    Ok, I will keep on eye out for some new shoes. I would still like to be able to bash though, so I will try and find a happy medium, gearing wise.

Nate.

RC Qualifier
    Oh my. I blew out one of my Pro-matched packs today. It is the first time I have really bashed it hard since the upgrade. Gravel parking lots are fun!! But anyway, I was trying to get the EVX-2 to thermal, that way I know I would have to get a fan for it.

I thought I would bust something in the drivetrain, but no. The last thing I thought would happen. One of the cells in my pack vented!! I have been having trouble with this pack recently, not equalizing right on my Novak Smart Tray SE, and false peaking on my Onyx 220 three or four time in a charge cycle. It is odd though, the cell that vented was the only 1.225 volt cell out of all 14. The rest are 1.226 to 1.229. I don't think that has anything to do with it though...

Now I am really confused. I don't know if I should try the Pro-Match 5000MAH packs, or if I should thrust myself into the LI-PO world. The Pro-Match packs can take this kind of a set-up right? It was just a bad cell right? I don't know. If this set-up is going to keep frying NiMH's, then I have to go Li-Po.

All part of the hobby I guess... Waiting to hear back from Pro-Match for there advice.

Nate.

RC Racer
    How old where they ?

RC Qualifier
    3 1/2 months old, and maybe 40 cycles though them.

RC Racer
    Sharing things like this , with pics , is what makes this forum great.

Well done.
    Won my first race in 1985...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SummitCrazed!
    Hey, if there are any mods out there, I spent about 8 hours total on this build thread.

If I could get it stickyed, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks,

Nate.
    Hey mods don't sticky this tread, but rather make a sticky that says summit mods/builds so that in each post to that sticky we just link a build tread. That way theres only one sticky and the build/mods like this can be viewed efficiently. Thanks, Brasher.
    T8 sensored/Xerun-150a/custom chassis/fit body

RC Qualifier
    Thanks AMZ!! And that's a grate idea on the sticky!!! I have a few mods I would post in there!!

Thanks again,

Nate.

RC Qualifier
    OK WHO HERE THINKS TRAXXAS SHOULD USE STAINLESS SCREW EVEN if it does cost more for us i think its worth it
    pm me with what BRUSHED motor for rusty

RC Qualifier
    Great Writeup, thanks for the effort. I've had the dual K700's on the shelf for about 2 months now, not sure if I want to install. If I do install, I'll be following this writeup.
    Last edited by Dingman; 06-26-2009 at 05:12 PM.
    50 characters and no BB code for sigs is useless!

RC Enthusiast
    were you able to buy the dual motor kit without the motors? When looking at KD's website, the kit comes with two of those 700-HO motors, and I'd rather just run two titan 775's. I could buy a brand new Titan 775 motor off ebay for like $25

RC Racer

RC Enthusiast
    excellent! thanks for the link!

RC Qualifier
    Yup, thanks LanceD, you can get just the motors, or just the mount separate. I bought the "E-Revo/Summit 700 Motor Mount," and the spacing is perfect for the Titan 775's(as you can see in the pics above ).

Works grate so far, besides my Pro-Match problems. As soon as I get the packs sorted out, I think I will try a larger pinon, and see how the heat is.

Should be fun,

Nate.

RC Enthusiast
    I'm fixin to do twin 775's and lipo's. Hopefully it should be good fun

RC Qualifier
    Aww man, this set-up on Li-Po's would be SICK!!!!! Let me know how it goes, what gearing you use, and weather or not your EVX-2 holds up!!

Nate.

RC Enthusiast
    I figured you were running lipos as well.

anyway, it should be just fine.

What pinion gears did you use with your motors? Are you running the stock spur gear?

RC Qualifier
    Yup, stock spur, with 16T pinions. The owner of Kershaw Designs recommended the 16T to start out with. It is not much faster at all, but the power, and how fast it gets to its top speed is amazing!!

I am thinking of going a little higher on the gearing, but I loved the Summit stock, and love it even more now. I also just bought a 1/16th E-Revo VXL, so that should fulfill my speed needs.

Nate.

RC Enthusiast
    your motors dont run too warm with 16T pinions?

RC Qualifier
    Nope, I would say they get just as warm as the old single motor did, with the 14T pinion. I think they are comparable to the V1 KD 700-HO motors, and they where geared at 19T, so I think I could have gone higher, but like I said, I am happy with the way it is, and I will try and get my speed needs out on the E-Revo VXL.

I'm still in testing though, the only time I've gone full bore bashing so far, i.e. gravel parking lot, just constant full throttle bursts, I popped two cells in one of my Pro-Match packs. The ESC, and motors where at a safe temp though.

Li-Po's should handle the amp draw like a champ, and would make this set-up really come to life, unfortunately I don't want to spend the $400 to $450 it would cost me to get everything I need(Li-Po's, charger, balancer ,LVC.).

Let me know if you have any questions,

Nate

RC Racer
    I am interested to see how temps would go with a pair of 19 tooth pinion's

RC Qualifier
    the only thing that lipo's do is give you more run time, nimh will give you more pop since the volts are higher than lipo, which is why they drain faster. cause i definitely notice a difference with my nimh and lipo's, plus it is basic electronics more volts, more power.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by egoneski
    the only thing that lipo's do is give you more run time, nimh will give you more pop since the volts are higher than lipo, which is why they drain faster. cause i definitely notice a difference with my nimh and lipo's, plus it is basic electronics more volts, more power.
    I was under the immpression it was the ammount of current supplied that gives you pop (if by your definition of pop is what i call punch ) and the voltage is relative to the RPM of the motor ? these two together give you you overall power (Watts) basic ohm's law

The fact that you can by a 8000Mah 30c Lipo that can produce a fenominal amount of current, and from my understanding there is nothing with that kind of capacity in the NiMh packs

just throwing in my two cents

RC Enthusiast
    WRONG!!!!!!!

Really? So the actual ability to discharge at rate 10X what a Nimh can has nothing to do with my Lipo's blowing those Nimh's out the water?

The only way what you say is possible is if we are comparing apples to oranges, for example you using 2 7cell packs for 16.8V and I'm using a 4s lipo for 14.8V. Then obviously you have more voltage.

Anyways, a Lipo is 3.7v per cell, Nimh is 1.2V. Where is Nimh higher?
    Emaxx- truggy/CD conversion...