RC Qualifier

motor choices for Summit

So I was looking at the options for motors for the summit on Kershaw Designs website as I want to stay with brushed for now. What options on there are more favorable in your opinion? single 700HO, double? or 820 single or double? Thanks for the input
    Platinum Slash 4x4 LCG
    Mini Summit
    Nitro Sport

RC Qualifier
    700HO offers a little more power than the 775 but still doesn't have replaceable brushes.
    Most (including myself) use the DeWalt 14.4v, or 820 on KD, giving a lot more torque which in turn can be used to get more top speed through gear changes, and the brushes can be replaced when needed. IMO a great choice for a brushed motor.
    Any dual motor setups put a lot of strain on the ESC and raise the centre of gravity drastically.
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Qualifier
    Ok great that helps out a lot thank you! I figured the double motor systems would raise the center of gravity and weight of the vehicle as well as draw a lot of extra juice. Looks like the 820 on KD it is then!
    Platinum Slash 4x4 LCG
    Mini Summit
    Nitro Sport

RC Qualifier
    I would recommend the single Dewalt 820. Easy conversion, water proof, great price, and all the existing electronics work great. I have a number installed on the Summits. One has the 17 tooth pinion (a little faster than stock but way better low end torque) and one has the 11 tooth (designated crawler). As has been stated before on this forum you need to keep an eye on the motor heat. I have no problem with heat with these pinions. If you go with a larger pinion you will have heat problems and you will need to upgrade other things to keep up with the extra speed. Good luck and let us know how you like it.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Qualifier
    Thats great info because I was thinking of running the 16T based off of what i've read other people did with the 820. Also has anyone put a fan on that motor? I live in Texas so the summer heat can be a little crazy at times.
    Platinum Slash 4x4 LCG
    Mini Summit
    Nitro Sport

RC Champion
    I have read that one guy put a castle mamba monster 2200kv motor fan on it. Said it was a tight fit but worked
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Qualifier
    Ok I was thinking either that or on KD's website they have an integy one listed and says it fits the 820 for like $16
    Platinum Slash 4x4 LCG
    Mini Summit
    Nitro Sport

RC Enthusiast
    Integy's fan for the 750 size motor works fine on the Dewalt. It helps a lot with cooling as well.