RC poster

Summit body options

Have been looking at putting a Tonka Jeep body on my Summit but the $$$$ is not fitting my budget. I am planning on setting up my Summit with fpv. I was wondering what other Summit owners have tried or used that would work for fpv. It would be nice to be able to put a camera inside so that it can be somewhat protected.

When searching the topic it seems there are posts but did not see too many for fpv besides the old Tonka Jeep.

At this point I am thinking of using the current body and try cutting out the windows and use pan only for my fpv. Or maybe I will have to find a roll cage pattern and work at making my own cage for protection.

Just wanted to see what other fpv drivers are doing and thought this would be a great place to ask.

Thanks for any help.
    Clarke

RC poster
    If you want a rollcage you can get team associated as8 rollcage but it depends on how big your camera are. Otherwise just go with the first plan to cut out the front window.

RC poster
    That does look like an option. And with room inside. I did see where another driver used the cage and it looks good but it did not have fpv gear inside. Not sure if going to use GP3 or not as camera.

Thanks for the quick response.
    Clarke

RC Qualifier
    Not many options as you found out. Custom made is the way to go, but it does mean more $$$$. The Nylint 1/6 scale bodies work great, but they are hard to come by, much lighter than Tonkas. Check ebay and you could get lucky. This is my favorite custom setup (not mine) http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thumb...ttach&u=319829
    Working hard to appear reasonably sane.

RC poster
    What a great looking set up, you are right, very nice. Have the body on the work table now and think i will still cut the windows out and see where that leads me. I will still be able to finish my fpv set up while looking for a workable body. Will give look at the Nylint and see if that comes my way.

Thanks for the shots of a neat build.
    Clarke

RC Competitor
    I wonder if Axial bodies fit?....

RC Champion
    Axial bodies are true 1/10 scale and tend to run small. The summit is full 1/8 scale ( no matter how Traxxas labels it) and tend to run big.

But with some cutting and slicing anything is possible
    But one good option that works great and actually looks good is to cut the entire cab/ top off a summit body. Leaving only the intact roll cage, sides of body and hood. Gives you full 360 degree vision and still looks cool.

I will try to find a pix
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC poster
    I did end up ordering the as8 roll cage, well it is on backorder. But in the meantime I removed the body shell from the summit cage. I know not very strong but still lets me use the gp3 inside to see how things will work when I hook pan up to the steering servo. Will have to try and post pics when I can.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    Axial bodies are true 1/10 scale and tend to run small. The summit is full 1/8 scale ( no matter how Traxxas labels it) and tend to run big.

But with some cutting and slicing anything is possible
    But one good option that works great and actually looks good is to cut the entire cab/ top off a summit body. Leaving only the intact roll cage, sides of body and hood. Gives you full 360 degree vision and still looks cool.

I will try to find a pix

MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC poster
    Like the cut down of the Summit body, did not think it would look that nice. Gives me another option while waiting on my role cage. But then I was lucky enough to get my hands on a Tonka Jeep body. Now, I still want to build the cage and see how that works. And then start on converting the Tonka to fit on the Summit.

I can see I will be doing a lot of research on the best way to convert the Summit. The videos I have seen with fpv and Tonka are great. But that means I may have to make changes with my current 5.8 system and radio. What a great hobby!!!!!

RC Racer
    Traxxas summit
    Traxxas rustler vxl

RC Competitor
    Proline has a new body out for the summit called Apocalypse. It looks pretty sweet to me. Noir 522, is that body/cage combo durable with the roof cut out?