Thread: Smoked Motor?

RC Enthusiast

Smoked Motor?

Anyone go into thermal shutdown?

I was testing the E-revo VXL with an 11.1 lipo (on stock gearing). It shutdown.

After cooling down, The motor and esc still work, but the car runs slowly. Assuming I smoke the motor?

RC Champion
    Are you sure its not in "training mode" ? I and a buddy have both thermaled ours on 3s and they still work fine ..
    At WARN 80% and climbing !

RC Enthusiast
    Yup, in profile 1 - no rev. Only goes 5-10 mph

RC Champion
    Yet another should have read the instructions case.
    Thanks
    Z....

RC Qualifier
    I am getting my mini today and have to 3s *****s here waiting..

Should I or shouldn't I use them...

It seems like a lot of guys are having issues with the 3S.

I AM going to read the instructions but what should I watch out for? I dont want to OVERLOOK something in the book and burn her up!

Some advice here would be nice rather than someone telling me to "read the book"...
    Again I plan on reading it through and through but just wanted some tips on the dangerous or delicate areas...

From what I am reading the 3S should only be used on the "speed pinion"

Thanks

Jim
    Last edited by milkman; 06-21-2009 at 10:37 AM.
    Three Summits

RC Champion
    Did you make sure to recharge the batteries after the first thermal shutdown? It's possible that instead of a thermal shutdown you hit the LVC point and that's why it's running slow.

I did run a 3s lipo pack with the stock pinion until the LVC triggered and the motor was only at 120F after. I was running on dirt with decent traction however, if you're running in grass or something like that it will make the motor work harder and get hot quicker.
    Traxxas racing!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by milkman
    I am getting my mini today and have to 3s *****s here waiting..

Should I or shouldn't I use them...

It seems like a lot of guys are having issues with the 3S.

I AM going to read the instructions but what should I watch out for? I dont want to OVERLOOK something in the book and burn her up!

Some advice here would be nice rather than someone telling me to "read the book"...
    Again I plan on reading it through and through but just wanted some tips on the dangerous or delicate areas...

From what I am reading the 3S should only be used on the "speed pinion"

Thanks

Jim
    Hi Jim yes you should run the speed pinion (smaller one INC.) But that is for running on flat smooth surfaces as traxxas says in booklet anything over stock battery or probly 2S lipo you must use speed pinion and only run on flat surfaces... So if you go 3S and want to take it in the dirt I would buy a much smaller pinion than the stock speed pinion so you don't over heat or burn up anything.
    Thanks
    Z....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SWEETZ28
    Hi Jim yes you should run the speed pinion (smaller one INC.) But that is for running on flat smooth surfaces as traxxas says in booklet anything over stock battery or probly 2S lipo you must use speed pinion and only run on flat surfaces... So if you go 3S and want to take it in the dirt I would buy a much smaller pinion than the stock speed pinion so you don't over heat or burn up anything.

I ran a set of 1000mAh 3s LiPo's yeaterday on the track , it was hot but didnt thermal .

RC Qualifier
    OK THANKS!

I may just end up getting the 2s and running them in parallel. This way I have no issues!

How are the 2S setups going? Anyone??

what kind of speed are you getting out of it?

Jim
    Three Summits

RC Champion
    2s will get you about 32-37 mph , but it is great off road running on a track .