RC Qualifier

Grinding gears. Taking it back :-/

Ok, so my $300 of self control lasted a day, and my reward was an e-revo that doesn't roll. I guess that's god saying "I pity the foo with 24 hours of self control."

Anyway, sounds like the middle tranny or u joint is grinding. I disengaged the spur and pinion and the noise persisted. The grinding happens less frequently than one revolution of the spur gear, so it must be further along the gear reduction. The car will not roll, the friction is too great.

I opened the box, charged the battery, put in my receiver, drove it 10 feet, and the problem was obvious.

I don't want to investigate any further because I want to return it.

Here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMAJ9H4rn4s

RC Qualifier
    you better check for rocks in the spure gear area....there has been problems already reported that folks go for a run with the truck and tiny rocks get caught in that area...either way too bad your taking back so soon and dont want to take it apart to fix the problem you bought a hobby class R/C not a walmart R/C

So a rock gets caught in the gears and it is Traxxas's fault? I guess I shuld take my new Lexus back because I ran over a nail and the tire went flat, too.

With removing the spur an pinion, that eliminated a rock potential. It gets louder when flipped over, would probably indicate something with the main shafts coming of the tranny. I would think if it were in the tranny, it would be the same "volume" whether it was righted or flipped. If your not going to try to find the issue yourself, and IF (biggest 2 letter word in the dictionary) the hobby shop you got it at takes it back for a swap (some have no issues swapping, but most will never refund), then why go through all this trouble with the video and post. If your looking for options and a possible self fix, then this was the place to come, if your mind is made up, and you dont want to work on it (as pointed out by jocks, its a hobby), then just do what you intended.
    Last edited by icepick832; 06-20-2009 at 11:51 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by icepick832
    With removing the spur an pinion, that eliminated a rock potential. It gets louder when flipped over, would probably indicate something with the main shafts coming of the tranny. I would think if it were in the tranny, it would be the same "volume" whether it was righted or flipped.

May have a chipped tooth in the tranny, or a piece of debris in the tranny or one of the diff cases. Disconnect one center drive shaft at a time and run the truck to eliminate the front and rear ends as the problem and then open up your tranny to see what the problem is. You're in the wrong hobby of your not willing to troubleshoot and fix your truck. Paying hobby shops for repairs is expensive and a pain in the behind.

Although if it did it from the start I would probably just take it back where you got it and ask them to swap it for another one. they can get their money back from traxxas for the faulty truck.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by coreyfro
    Ok, so my $300 of self control lasted a day, and my reward was an e-revo that doesn't roll. I guess that's god saying "I pity the foo with 24 hours of self control."

Anyway, sounds like the middle tranny or u joint is grinding. I disengaged the spur and pinion and the noise persisted. The grinding happens less frequently than one revolution of the spur gear, so it must be further along the gear reduction. The car will not roll, the friction is too great.

I opened the box, charged the battery, put in my receiver, drove it 10 feet, and the problem was obvious.

I don't want to investigate any further because I want to return it.

Here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMAJ9H4rn4s
    Hi take off the bottom skid plate look at the tranny where they screw the grub screws through the shaft to hold them to the gear case outshafts...sounds like they may have screwed one of the grub screws through the universal shaft to far and out the other end where you screw them in a shaft will come out if screwed in to far and it may be catching on the chassis.
    Thanks
    Z....

RC Racer
    I think it's the ring and pinion mesh(mine did the same thing)for the last 25 years I always shim my 1/8 scale tight.It usually clears up in a few runs then the mesh is just right.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SWEETZ28
    Hi take off the bottom skid plate look at the tranny where they screw the grub screws through the shaft to hold them to the gear case outshafts...sounds like they may have screwed one of the grub screws through the universal shaft to far and out the other end where you screw them in a shaft will come out if screwed in to far and it may be catching on the chassis.
    Thanks for the pointer. I did as you suggested. Looks like the trouble is in the front diff assembly.

To others, I noticed this problem the SECOND I first drove this in my living room. So, no rocks.

RC Qualifier
    Happened as long as the input axel is rotating, so its not the gears in the diff. Probably the mess between the diff and the other miter gear

RC Qualifier
    I'm going to keep the model. I wish these darn things we kits, because the joy of building beats the drudgery of debugging someone else's work. Yes...yes...I want to take full responsibility for my mistakes...not curse and spit at the mistakes of others.

Of course, this problem appears to exist in the deepest, most complex network of components in the model, which means I'm going to need to devote a night of my time to fixing it...no problem...I am sure that, if there are breaks in the components, Traxxas will honor their replacement, but....I WANT MY INSTANT GRATIFICATION!!! *WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!*

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cainam
    So a rock gets caught in the gears and it is Traxxas's fault? I guess I shuld take my new Lexus back because I ran over a nail and the tire went flat, too.
    nobody said for sure it was a rock, that was merely speculation turns out it wasn't. If when I picked mine up it only ran 10 ft I would be upset also. Fixing it would be easy enough I'm sure but the wait for the parts is what would suck, I'm sure the LHS doesn't have the needed parts in stock yet.

It's not as bad if you have owned it for a week or so and then have to wait for parts but to buy-it, run it 10ft and then shelf it for possibly a week.

Hopefully you will be able to get it going soon, once you get a chance to drive it more you will love it

Seems he found where the issues was, and besides, if the ones talking rocks, actually read the original post thoroughly, they would have deducted that there was now way it could still be a rock, with the spur and pinion removed.

RC Racer
    That sucks, sorry for your bad luck. If it did that in 10feet I would of gone back to the store and exchange it out for another one, assuming you have that options.

Let us know what you finally find out is the cause.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, alas, my LHS is 60 minutes away...not so local ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyTire
    That sucks, sorry for your bad luck. If it did that in 10feet I would of gone back to the store and exchange it out for another one, assuming you have that options.

Let us know what you finally find out is the cause.

RC Qualifier
    So the front diff was misassembled, the oring was clinched between the metal housing and the plastic caps, which caused it to run crooked. The metal housing was hitting the input miter gear. I got it moving smoothly, but I need to relube everything before i run it. Later. It took me 2 full movies to change it out ;-)

I may need to get parts. the caps on the diff may be miss shapen now :-/

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So the front diff was misassembled, the oring was clinched between the metal housing and the plastic caps, which caused it to run crooked. The metal housing was hitting the input miter gear. I got it moving smoothly, but I need to relube everything before i run it. Later. It took me 2 full movies to change it out ;-)

I may need to get parts. the caps on the diff may be miss shapen now :-/
    Your's is not the only one, i made a reply post in another thread in this forum about the problem being the front diff. It sounded just like two of them i drove at my LHS and yours did as well. I knew it was that as soon as i watched your vid.

I was - <-- that close to buying one last thurs but when the both made that same noise i said forget it. I could have fixed it myself but why wrench on a brand new RTR $300 truck ya know....
    Keep flex'in those forum keyboard muscles.

RC Qualifier
    I dunno, I am deeply impressed with the cleverness of the e-revo. I understand that, in the rush to get these to market, the odds for mistakes are much higher. I can't lose sight that the newness of this truck and the demand that it has comes with costs. Among them, first gen problems, first production run pressures. Also, like I said before, I love kits. I miss kits. True, RTR is hardly a kit, but getting in and playing with it and learning it was pretty fun. All I am really missing is the instant gratification stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by got_nitro
    Your's is not the only one, i made a reply post in another thread in this forum about the problem being the front diff. It sounded just like two of them i drove at my LHS and yours did as well. I knew it was that as soon as i watched your vid.

I was - <-- that close to buying one last thurs but when the both made that same noise i said forget it. I could have fixed it myself but why wrench on a brand new RTR $300 truck ya know....

RC Qualifier
    Coreyfro, may i ask, is there a "build manual" of the truck included ? or just a exploded wiev ?

im no fan of rtrīs, so my first "to do" is take it apart 100% and check everytning...doesnt sound so good about this...one of the minus like ya said
    Stampede 4x4 4s | Stampede 4x4 1/12

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I dunno, I am deeply impressed with the cleverness of the e-revo. I understand that, in the rush to get these to market, the odds for mistakes are much higher. I can't lose sight that the newness of this truck and the demand that it has comes with costs. Among them, first gen problems, first production run pressures. Also, like I said before, I love kits. I miss kits. True, RTR is hardly a kit, but getting in and playing with it and learning it was pretty fun. All I am really missing is the instant gratification stuff.
    I hear ya, if it's anything like a 10th scale revo the diffs are very touchy. The tolerance in the inner and outer diff housings are nill and have to be perfecty tightened down and meshed. You get the SAME noise on a 10th scale revo if the pinion and ring gear are not shimmed right.

RC Qualifier
    Great exploded views online. The manual doesn't have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas P
    Coreyfro, may i ask, is there a "build manual" of the truck included ? or just a exploded wiev ?

im no fan of rtrīs, so my first "to do" is take it apart 100% and check everytning...doesnt sound so good about this...one of the minus like ya said

RC Racer
    Great exploded views online. The manual doesn't have one.
    My E-Revo came with the exploded views on paper. Gonna blow them up on the copier at work.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind

I hear ya, if it's anything like a 10th scale revo the diffs are very touchy. The tolerance in the inner and outer diff housings are nill and have to be perfecty tightened down and meshed. You get the SAME noise on a 10th scale revo if the pinion and ring gear are not shimmed right.

RC Qualifier
    OK, So I lied. The problem wasn't solved, but I didn't like the tenor of the thread, so I said that I fixed the problem to drop the hate. It is true that the diff was not assembled well, but that wasn't the issue. I called traxxas and the guy on the phone knew the problem. The shim was installed on the wrong side, causing the mesh to be forced tight. Moved and fixed. Problem truly solved.

I can't fault traxxas for the fact that they, undoubtedly, had to rush out their first order. I work in the computer industry and stuff like this happens all the time. It's just how industry works. For fear that I am being apologetic for traxxas, I will say that the hobby industry eats money like no tomorrow and these people make sure that we're eating top ramen for just that much longer because we are addicted to RCrack. We all know this. We all joke about it. I say get over it. Traxxas still kicks butt and at least MOST of this industry answers their phone and is generally helpful.

Try getting such service out of Oracle or Microsoft.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    OK, So I lied. The problem wasn't solved, but I didn't like the tenor of the thread, so I said that I fixed the problem to drop the hate. It is true that the diff was not assembled well, but that wasn't the issue. I called traxxas and the guy on the phone knew the problem. The shim was installed on the wrong side, causing the mesh to be forced tight. Moved and fixed. Problem truly solved.
    Im not the smartest or most experienced R/C man in the world (and dont claim it) nor do i want my back to be patted but there are alot of guys in these forums that know a ton about R/C.

You get the SAME noise on a 10th scale revo if the pinion and ring gear are not shimmed right.
    I didn't read any hate in your thread but rather the "dramatic thread title" is what might of sparked some posters off. No need to freak out and throw in the towel for a minor noise.

Im glad Traxxas helped you fix your problem. Good luck..

RC Competitor
    These are assembled in China buy men,women and children that work for a bowl of rice a day. I'm sure stuff like this is going to slip through, Poop happens ?
    At least Traxxas tech was able to help with a quick troubleshoot.
    (2)E-LST's(2)E-Lightning Stadium Pro2's(3)E-Revo's

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBondonutz
    At least Traxxas tech was able to help with a quick troubleshoot.
    Yeah, right on!

Waste of typing as far as im concerned. Whats the point of wasting traxxas server space if a phone call is going to be made esp. when the answer is clearly in the thread....