RC poster

Need Lipo Suggestion For Slash 2wd with Castle Sidewinder 3 4600kv

I need some suggestions please. I just upgraded my sons Slash from the stock brushed motor to the Castle Sidewinder 3 combo with the 1406 4600kv motor. Now we want to go with a Lipo but I know nothing about them. Can someone give us some suggestions on what to look for. Thanks in advance for any help.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    I run these with my 4600 and they are really great:
    http://spcracingbatteries.com/index....&product_id=56

These will definitely get that 4600 hummin'
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Enthusiast
    The most important thing about switching to LiPo is making sure your charger is compatible and that it is always set on the correct mode for LiPo batts. Charging a LiPo on a NiMH charger or setting will not end well.

RC poster
    We do not have a charger for it yet. All we have is the slow stock charger so will be buying one of those also. Any recommendations?

RC poster
    Can you tell me if there is a advantage of going with a 3s instead of 2s? For about $15 more I could get the 3s but I honestly do not know what the difference would be. This started as something for my son but I think I have more interest than he does now. Very addicting.

RC Enthusiast
    Contact Castle Creations, or see if you can find a spec sheet. For instance my Velineon system can draw 100 amps max. I have a 5000 mah battery that is 20C which is capable of 100 amps. It will run the truck but not 100%, If I put in a 5000mah battery that is 25C the truck will run faster by a couple of tens per lap. Tried a 72000mah 60C and the truck was not any faster, basically the 100amps output of the battery was on the edge. The 5000mah 25C puts out 125 amps which is more than the truck can use and stepping up from there I noticed no difference.

RC Enthusiast
    Depends what you are doing, the 3s can be hard on the truck parts and hard to control. The 2S with the lower voltage is easier to control and not as hard on parts. When I race on an oval track. I can keep up with people running a 3S battery becuase I am not on the brake as much, I can transistion easier through the corners. They are usually in the wall more than I am also.

Quote Originally Posted by lee42lee View Post
    Can you tell me if there is a advantage of going with a 3s instead of 2s? For about $15 more I could get the 3s but I honestly do not know what the difference would be. This started as something for my son but I think I have more interest than he does now. Very addicting.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by lee42lee View Post
    3S ups the performance level quite a bit. It will make the truck quite a bit faster. As far as chargers go I prefer any of them that have a digital screen and are programmable.

Can you tell me if there is a advantage of going with a 3s instead of 2s? For about $15 more I could get the 3s but I honestly do not know what the difference would be
    IMO there is no advantage to 3s aside from more power, these motors make power and rpm by voltage input, a 4600kv motor makes 4,600rpm per input volt, 4600 x 7.4 = 34040rpm, 4,600 x 11.1(3s)= 51060rpm.
    These are unloaded specs.
    The 4600kv is a fairly high strung motor, 3s will be pushing it pretty well and handling will be near nonexistent.
    Then theres the racing aspect, no legit track will allow 3s, this is a roar rule but all the tracks I've seen (roar or not) haven't allowed 3s in 1/10 sct's.
    The 4600kv castle is a great system, it will perform very well on 2s.
    As far as chargers dont skimp, this is an important purchase, I usr a powerlab6 but most people wont buy a $200 plus dollar charger, I didn't at first until I learned long term lipo use and maintenance.
    If you can afford it do some home work and get something decent, there are some good units out there at fair prices.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 09-10-2014 at 04:06 PM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC poster
    I think I will just go with a 2s. From what I have read it should be a big improvement over the NiMH 4600 I am using now. Thanks for everyones help and when I pick out a charger I will post here to make sure it is a decent one.

RC Racer
    be sure to get at least 35C and 5000Mah (said the castle creations guy to me) ...

RC poster
    Is the Traxxas EZ Peak charger a decent system? It looks to be around $80.

RC Racer
    I use an onyx 235 good up to 3s and chargers every type of battery. No complaints about it and can charge 2 different battery types at once. I do how ever plan on upgrading to a better charger
    slash 4wd upgraded

Quote Originally Posted by sgibby88 View Post
    I use an onyx 235 good up to 3s and chargers every type of battery. No complaints about it and can charge 2 different battery types at once. I do how ever plan on upgrading to a better charger

That's not the 235. The 235 charges up to 4S and can only charge one battery at a time. Sounds like you have the 245.