Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dirty jerzey
    Posts
    75

    best battery connectors

    Just trying to squeeze every last bit outta this thing. I read that a set of good connectors could give you a little bump depending of the brand an quality. I have Tamiya plugs on my new lipos. I want to know what racers use to get the best electrical connection possible.

  2. #2
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,205
    In my experience, the serious racing competition guys don't use connectors at all and simply solder 4mm male gold plated bullet connectors to the ESC leads and plug these directly into the lipo's output sockets thereby minimising weight and resistance. Quality 2S lipos (and certainly those used by serious racers) are not pre-wired and always have 4mm output sockets.

    All my lipos have these sockets but I still use Traxxas connectors but then again I'm not a serious racer. I race a Slash afterall. I think you'll find Traxxas connectors are virtually as good as any connector out there resistance wise.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ft Myers Florida
    Posts
    271
    "In my experience, the serious racing competition guys don't use connectors at all and simply solder 4mm male gold plated bullet connectors to the ESC leads and plug these directly into the lipo's output sockets thereby minimising weight and resistance. Quality 2S lipos (and certainly those used by serious racers) are not pre-wired and always have 4mm output sockets."


    Nailed it.
    Race em Clean em Wrench em Repeat...

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    330
    Imo, for casual use the traxxas connectors are good. I do not like the tamiya type. Deans are also ok. All imo, Don

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,652
    I guess I am not serious any longer.

  6. #6
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    I guess I am not serious any longer.
    Congratulations!
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

  7. #7
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dirty jerzey
    Posts
    75
    i got the 6.5mm CC connectors

  8. #8
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,205
    That's for the ESC to motor connection right?
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by Nassin79 View Post
    i got the 6.5mm CC connectors
    You're gunna need some 4mm ones to go from the esc to the battery unless someones makin batteries with 6.5mm bullets I don't know about.


    You can see how I have my race truck wired pretty good in this pic. Wires directly soldered from esc to motor with 4mm bullets to connect the battery to the esc.

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. harry697's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    8,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    I guess I am not serious any longer.
    Guess I never was.

    I remember the days of soldering the esc wires directly to the cells on nicad and nimh packs. Since the brushless and lipo revolution, I've never seen a need for any extreme connections like that. These motors and batteries can put out way more power than I could ever use on a track. TRX or Deans are plenty fine for anything I race, including electric 8th and 4wd SCT.

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    Guess I never was.

    I remember the days of soldering the esc wires directly to the cells on nicad and nimh packs. Since the brushless and lipo revolution, I've never seen a need for any extreme connections like that. These motors and batteries can put out way more power than I could ever use on a track. TRX or Deans are plenty fine for anything I race, including electric 8th and 4wd SCT.
    I went from the included banana plugs with the balance lead attached(basically should only be used for charging) with a trx plug to the castle bullets and the gain in performance was surprising. When you run on high traction surfaces (carpet, astro, ect) you can really notice the improvement. If your running on fluff and spinning the tires you might not notice but for me the difference was huge.

  12. #12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. billy-bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Building Boost View Post
    I went from the included banana plugs with the balance lead attached(basically should only be used for charging) with a trx plug to the castle bullets and the gain in performance was surprising. When you run on high traction surfaces (carpet, astro, ect) you can really notice the improvement. If your running on fluff and spinning the tires you might not notice but for me the difference was huge.
    I went the direct route myself (ESC 4mm plug to lipo) without favorable results and no noticeable power increase.
    If you dont have a perfect tight connection (no banana plugs) the end result is below, all three are top of the line racing lipos ( in theory anyway).
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    411
    WOW. I hope that never happens to me. That could kill a whole season for me as I dont always have the cash on hand to replace lipos. I can't believe that, looks like they shorted out. What would cause that? Just a loose connection? Were you running castle bullets?

  14. #14
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. billy-bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Building Boost View Post
    WOW. I hope that never happens to me. That could kill a whole season for me as I dont always have the cash on hand to replace lipos. I can't believe that, looks like they shorted out. What would cause that? Just a loose connection? Were you running castle bullets?
    Just the connection not being 100%.
    The banana plugs I used first couldn't maintain a solid connection I believe, they would always be hot at the end of the main.
    In the case of two in the picture(the worst ones) the connection was lost long enough to turn the esc off, putting me out of the race.
    If you use top end castle connecters you'll be alright.
    Below are the connecters that caused the heat, if you look at the negative you can see the discoloring, the solder got hot enough for the end to bend a bit.
    The thing I was really getting at was I didn't notice any performance difference, tho clay is the highest grip surface I run on .
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    411
    Yea. Gotta run the castle bullets for sure. They have a very snug fit and are nearly solid once plugged in.

  16. #16
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Emaxx2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Posts
    4,054
    Traxxas connectors work perfectly fine. The last thing you want to do is be very tired for a moment and reversiong the polarity.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

  17. #17
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0 View Post
    Traxxas connectors work perfectly fine. The last thing you want to do is be very tired for a moment and reversiong the polarity.
    +1

    Definitely the safest way to go. And now I've got the hang of soldering them quickly I'll be sticking with them for a long time to come!

    I can't find anymore it but I did see a review online a few years back (possibly on bigsquid) that compared the various high current connectors in terms of the quality of their electrical connection. I think the Traxxas connectors placed a close second to EC3 connectors but ahead of Deans. Overall though there wasn't much in it, and nothing that would be noticed other than possibly in stock motor classes where you're trying to squeeze out every last drop of power.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

  18. #18
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dirty jerzey
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolf View Post
    That's for the ESC to motor connection right?
    i dont know man im just buying stuff. making mistakes in purchases, hahahhahaha. just had to sell alll the new pinion gears i bought because i have the 5mm shaft on the CC. from what i saw CC has the 6.5 mm connectors now for batteries im gonna try them out.

  19. #19
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    15,585
    See this thread for more info on the Castle connectors:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...tle-Connectors
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

  20. #20
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. harry697's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    8,230
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Just the connection not being 100%.
    The banana plugs I used first couldn't maintain a solid connection I believe, they would always be hot at the end of the main.
    In the case of two in the picture(the worst ones) the connection was lost long enough to turn the esc off, putting me out of the race.
    I was having the same problem with the motor to esc bullets in my 4wd. I'm running the Tenshock sc411 4600kv. That thing will drain a 5000mah lipo in less than 5 minutes! My bullets were getting hot to the point where it was melting the heat shrink tubing and every once in awhile, the bullet connectors would come unplugged. Just replaced all six plugs. Hopefully it cures that problem.

  21. #21
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,652
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    Guess I never was.

    I remember the days of soldering the esc wires directly to the cells on nicad and nimh packs. Since the brushless and lipo revolution, I've never seen a need for any extreme connections like that. These motors and batteries can put out way more power than I could ever use on a track. TRX or Deans are plenty fine for anything I race, including electric 8th and 4wd SCT.
    Your are too old and with far too much experience to know anything.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •