RC Qualifier

Cheapest brushless setup for the Stampede

My nephew's Dad just broke his son's Stampede. One of the copper tabs inside the motor broke.

I plan to give him one of my own son's Stampede motor, and upgrade this Stampede with a brushless setup.

Looking for a cheap alternative, running on good 7-cell NiMH and stock gearing. At the moment, I'm considering this:

Motor:
    EZRUN 13.5T/SL-3650 w/ 3300KV Sensorless Brushless Motor for 1/10 Car
    $39.95

ESC:
    eZRun-60A-SL Brushless ESC for 1/10 Car (Version 1.1)
    $44.95

I can also get a combo at $89.95 that will include the program card (although the program card of my ezRun 80A might work).

Does it seem reasonable?
    Should I go lower or higher kV?
    Would a 35A ESC be sufficient? (I'm asking since a 80A ESC is plenty for my E-MAxx which is twice as heavy)
    Should I change gearing (XL5)?
    Will the stock pinion fit on the motor axle? If not, what should I buy?
    Last edited by pdcsq; 06-19-2009 at 01:40 PM.
    E-Maxx on NiMH / Savage Flux on LiPO

RC Qualifier
    yep buddy of mine got a ezrun been holding out for a long while now longer then i expected and runs good hes got the 5.5t she pulls hard.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro_21
    yep buddy of mine got a ezrun been holding out for a long while now longer then i expected and runs good hes got the 5.5t she pulls hard.
    5.5T isn't it too aggressive?
    I thought it was recommended for lighter on-road cars.
    Is your buddy running the stock gearing?

RC Racer
    ive got the 35a 9t 4300kv combo and im quite happy with it,im yet to run a lipo on it but it goes pretty hard just with a nicd in it,heres a couple videos for ya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwY2TU8_m58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US7vR8-OC_k

RC Qualifier
    I just checked out your vid and I have to say that truck is quick!
    Looks like you got a great system for under $100????!!!
    trinity 6cell packs - 5 cells for the price of 6!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by boogernissan
    ive got the 35a 9t 4300kv combo and im quite happy with it,im yet to run a lipo on it but it goes pretty hard just with a nicd in it,heres a couple videos for ya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwY2TU8_m58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US7vR8-OC_k
    Have you run it on dirt or grass?
    How are the temps? Does it get hot?
    What is your gearing?

RC Racer
    stock gearing,have run it through 3 batterys flat out on road/dirt and grass and the temps never went over 40 degrees celsius,my batterys got hot but im puttin that down to nicds not being able to supply enough current quick enough for the brushless,

heres a onboard clip with a 1800 venom nicd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW_gLpq24RA

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by boogernissan
    stock gearing,have run it through 3 batterys flat out on road/dirt and grass and the temps never went over 40 degrees celsius,my batterys got hot but im puttin that down to nicds not being able to supply enough current quick enough for the brushless,

heres a onboard clip with a 1800 venom nicd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW_gLpq24RA
    Thanks a lot.
    How would you compare torque and speed versus stock Titan 12T?

RC Racer
    heaps better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my titan lasted me about 3 days and i fried it,the titan definatly has good torque,my stampy wont wheelie at the moment,it may do with the lipo in it and if i set th epunch to its max but i rekon for value for money brushless system the hobbywing is up there on top,subscribe to my yout tube channel cos i will be addin more videos in the future a sthe stampy gets more and more upgraded and thrashed

RC Champion
    any one know if you can run two of these in a 4x4 pede? would i just buy a Y harness and hook them both up?
    3.3 t-maxx, O.S. .18TM t-maxx, HV brushless e-maxx

RC Qualifier
    The kid wants an upgrade.
    I rechecked the videos of the 35A ESC, I don't think it makes enough difference. Seems I'll have to go with the 60A ESC.

I'm still unsure about the KV if to be used with stock gearing.

RC Qualifier
    So I have the money to upgrade my son's Stampede to brushless, but I don't have the budget for a 2.4GHz radio (not even $80 for the Tower 224).

I've just upgraded my E-Maxx with an ezRun combo. It is usable but still glitches like crazy from time to time.

I'm wondering if I should step back and just put good brushed motor in there. But how to increase top speed by at least 50% while maintaining the same amount of torque?

RC Racer
    i run a 5700 kv motor on low punch it wheelies to much but is what was recommended for me it has lots of speed still

I would get the 35 amp ezrun and look for a cheap 2.4 radio.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I agree... going brushed when you planned to go brushless is just a step in the wrong direction. There are ways to make a stock radio work with a brushless setup. Or, you can keep your eyes open for a cheaper 2.4 system on e-bay or something. They do come up from time to time.
    The EZrun systems seem to be really good and have received mostly positive reviews. The 13.5 system I think is a little mild for a truck like this though. Most suggest the 8.5 as being ideal. Keep in mind, with the EZrun systems, the motors with .5 in the number are true 540 size motors. The motors that are a full number (9t, 13t etc) are a 380 rotor inside a finned can made to look like a 540 motor. Which is why they can get away being run with a 35amp ESC. If you go with a true 540 motor like the 8.5... you should go with the 60amp ESC. I would buy one of these in a second if I needed a new brushless setup and if I could find one for under $100. If your up to the $100 limit though, you CAN find traxxas VXL systems on the market place for $120 or $125. I think buying the VXL for only $25 more is WELL worth the extra money... but if you can find the EZrun system for the $85-$90 range including shipping... thats a good deal.
    As far as I know these motors all use a standard output shaft diameter so your pinions will fit just fine and if you run the 8.5 motor you should be fine with a 18-19t pinion with an 86-90 tooth spur. But, as always, get a temp gun and watch your temps for the first few runs to be sure.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Do a search on this forum and you can find cheap 2.4ghz radio alternatives there was a thread with some good links to some.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy