RC Competitor

Reluctantly converted my E-Revo VXL to 2 wheel drive

OK I really wanted to run my truck but I lost the metal u-joint in the rear drive shaft on the first day I ran my new E-Revo. Traxxas is sending me a new drive shaft (not here yet) and my LHS's don't have any in stock. I also ordered 2 more from tower hobbies while they are in stock (also not here yet). So I took the front drive shaft (from the transmission to front diff) out and used 1 of the metal u-joints from it to repair my rear haft shaft. So now I have the worlds first 2 wheel drive E-Revo VXL! The truck is running OK (better than nothing) but the rear wheels now break loose under heavy acceleration and braking. It is now no fun in grass anymore. So now I am even more sad my parts have still not come in the mail Hopefully today

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy G
    OK I really wanted to run my truck but I lost the metal u-joint in the rear drive shaft on the first day I ran my new E-Revo. Traxxas is sending me a new drive shaft (not here yet) and my LHS's don't have any in stock. I also ordered 2 more from tower hobbies while they are in stock (also not here yet). So I took the front drive shaft (from the transmission to front diff) out and used 1 of the metal u-joints from it to repair my rear haft shaft. So now I have the worlds first 2 wheel drive E-Revo VXL! The truck is running OK (better than nothing) but the rear wheels now break loose under heavy acceleration and braking. It is now no fun in grass anymore. So now I am even more sad my parts have still not come in the mail Hopefully today
    Try FrontWD!

RC Qualifier
    yeah, i was gonna say the same, imagine a FWD truck, that thing would be awesome, wicked power, no wheelies, it'd be a racing machine.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    2wd is definitely kind of a bummer with brushless power, and it is even worse in a smaller, lighter truck.

Oh well, breaking/loosing stuff is part of the hobby. It happens.

As for trying front wheel drive, don't, it's pretty much useless.
    BP stands for Brushless Powered - LMT1940/7 CF G2R

RC Competitor
    Thanx guys I really just want 4 wheel drive back

RC Competitor
    Got my part and fixed the truck. Heading out now Woohoo!

RC Champion
    Try FWD out for us. I am really curious how well that works.

RC Champion
    fwd is terrible in the larger E-Revo. It just spins ... no traction.
    Save 10% of the money you make..... you'll never regret it.

RC Competitor
    Now it don't matter I killed the slipper clutch, too loose I guess. Bad luck so far.
    Or maybe just stupidity.

RC Qualifier
    i just got my e-revo with a twin pack... five minutes into playing and was doing my third backflip and two of my driveshafts (from diff to wheel) popped out... found everything but one of the metal ball... FYI... the universal driveshaft balls out of a stock 1/10 slash will work on these little things. takes alittle force to get them in but i think it will work better then stock
    .___/ ```i____"""""""ex racer
    [_^______ ^ _]Now RCdrifter & Revo
    .( o )____( o )___Backyard basher

RC Champion
    I had to convert to 2wd also after my very first run. One of the yokes on the rear diff broke in half.

After I made it 2wd, I managed to brake a front upper A-arm in half, so now I'm totally out of commission after three total runs, the third of which only lasted for 3 minutes.

I bash all my other vehicles way harder than this one. It must just be brittle. I suppose I'll have to baby it when I get it up and running again until they come up with stronger parts. RPM? MIP? Anyone?

Bleh.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kulangflow
    I had to convert to 2wd also after my very first run. One of the yokes on the rear diff broke in half.

After I made it 2wd, I managed to brake a front upper A-arm in half, so now I'm totally out of commission after three total runs, the third of which only lasted for 3 minutes.

I bash all my other vehicles way harder than this one. It must just be brittle. I suppose I'll have to baby it when I get it up and running again until they come up with stronger parts. RPM? MIP? Anyone?

Bleh.
    I have about 12 runs on mine so far with the stock battery. Not one hint of a problem.

RC Champion
    I keep hearing that most people haven't been having problems. Mine must have had a bad batch of plastic.

RC Competitor
    I rigged up a temp solution for my slipper clutch until wed when the new slipper comes in. I super glued a washer on the metal plate the slipper material in the spur gear pushes against. This allows the the slipper material to reach the washer (it had worn away to the point it no longer was making contact) and the slipper actually works again. I have tested it with the stock pack and it works like normal. Today I will test with 3s lipos!

RC Champion
    I, too, rigged up a temporary solution for my broken A-arm. One of these threads suggested creating a "cast" for the break using Kleenex and super-glue, and it appears to have worked like a champ! Nice tip! (Still in 2wd though, but at least we're running again.) :-)