Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC poster

Box radio and 2,4 GHz receiver

I've replaced the stock radio with a 2,4 GHz, and the new receiver antenna is quite short (about 10 cm.).

Routing the antenna cable through the path provided for the sealed radio box does'nt allow the antenna to extend at all.

Could this limit the radio range or cause interference problems?

RC Racer
    I don't think you will have a problem.
    Done this with all my cars, and the length of the antenna i think is not more than 5 cm. Have driven them as far as i can see them, and thats long enough for me. Using the Futaba 3pm+R603FS and R603FF
    A lot of Traxxas cars

RC Champion
    Yeah, just route it out as long as possible and it's fine. I believe this uses the same radio box as the Slash and I've run Spektrum receivers in my Slash without issue.
    Traxxas racing!

RC Qualifier
    2.5GHz radios usually have ranges in the 1000's of meters. That's about the time the car is too small to see.

RC poster
    Thank you all...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by coreyfro
    2.5GHz radios usually have ranges in the 1000's of meters. That's about the time the car is too small to see.
    Car gets too small to see at about 100 ft LOL, its like a little smart car in the middle of a bunch of F-650s

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by suprafanatic26
    Car gets too small to see at about 100 ft LOL, its like a little smart car in the middle of a bunch of F-650s
    Need binoculars?

RC Champion
    I am running my DX3.0 with the wire inside the RX box and I havent noticed any problems .
    At WARN 80% and climbing !

RC Qualifier
    I plan on switching over to 2.4..anyone know if the tower 2.4 RX fits in the box???
    TX and RX

RX

Dimensions are 45mm x 25mm x 13mm

RC Champion
    I plan on switching over to 2.4..anyone know if the tower 2.4 RX fits in the box???
    TX and RX

RX

I think that will fit. I put a Spektrum SR3000 in and it's 41.2 x 27.0 x 15.3mm. It had a little bit of room but not a lot, so it will be tight. I've seen a few people mention that radio system, maybe someone has tried it already.
    Traxxas racing!

RC Qualifier
    TX and RX

RX

the tower radio is not a good idea because well it is a cheap nock off and we all know that those are almost no good. But it is your decision.
    Just giving you advice from experience. But it's your choice.
    Remember to drive it like you stole it

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxxasbasher
    the tower radio is not a good idea because well it is a cheap nock off and we all know that those are almost no good. But it is your decision.
    I had read a few posts stating that they were actually pretty good...Do/did you have the Tower 2.4??

Cause from my experience..cheap knock offs are fairly well..as well as you do your research before..

Got like 24 *****s in all my rcs and they are still running like new at over 100 cycles..And those to me are cheap knock offs....

RC Competitor
    The boat guys say they get better range with the tower radio then with some of the top of the line stuff.....
    HPI E-Firestorm
    1/16 VXL Slash
    V3 Bonzer

RC Competitor
    And plus one on those *****'s great batts.
    HPI E-Firestorm
    1/16 VXL Slash
    V3 Bonzer

RC Qualifier
    ok i am sorry about my posts in this thread i was just trying to make a point
    i hope you can forgive me
    sorry

Sincerely

Ian
    Last edited by Traxxasbasher; 06-18-2009 at 04:14 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I know..but were not talking about lights and radios here..Im asking specifically for the Tower 2.4 ghz system..I was just wondering if you had had it before since you were saying it was bad..

and IMO, 70$ isnt cheap for a radio lol..My money don't grow on trees..

RC Competitor
    I know..but were not talking about lights and radios here..Im asking specifically for the Tower 2.4 ghz system..I was just wondering if you had had it before since you were saying it was bad..

and IMO, 70$ isnt cheap for a radio lol..My money don't grow on trees..
    Agreed, i'm also interested in the radio. Everything else costs twice as much.
    Rusty VXL
    1/16 Revo
    ERBE

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RIC 9
    Agreed, i'm also interested in the radio. Everything else costs twice as much.
    Ive seen a few using the tactic radio..and its the same as the tower..just a different label..so i guess it fits.

RC Qualifier
    Ive seen a few using the tactic radio..and its the same as the tower..just a different label..so i guess it fits.
    on the other hand i would be interested in seeing if the tower radio is any good.

RC Qualifier
    honestly i wouldnt buy the tower 2.4ghz radio , for a little bit more money you can get something like a futaba 3pm 2.4ghz or a spectrum 2.0 or even 3.0 and have so much more adjustability then the tower radio , plus probably a bigger model memory and just way more adjustments in general. Im sure the tower radio works fine if youd like basic control and the 2.4ghz but if you plan on ever going to a track to race or own a few rc's i would get one of the other models i suggested .

RC Qualifier
    futaba 3PK FTW!

RC Qualifier
    what about the spektrum DX3.0 DSM..I think that would actually be my best bet if the RX fits..since i also have the 3905 maxx..and i have the 3rd channel in use on that one...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by coreyfro
    1000's of meters? You'd be lucky to get 1000ft on most of the 2.4GHz radio systems that are out there. Including the high-dollar Futaba, Airtronics and Spektrum stuff. FM radios provide better range than 2.4GHz.
    -L

RC Qualifier
    With my dx2.0, dx3.0 and now ds3r I could drive my S-maxx so far to the point where you could barley tell that it is running and you could barley tell what direction it was going and I never lost signal....I am sold on the 2.4ghz systems!!!
    MMP-NEU 1112 1.5D 4S MERBE
    BEAST MODE [ON] OFF

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cch1978
    With my dx2.0, dx3.0 and now ds3r I could drive my S-maxx so far to the point where you could barley tell that it is running and you could barley tell what direction it was going and I never lost signal....I am sold on the 2.4ghz systems!!!
    Yep, that's right around 1000ft. It's really all that you need, as you can't see that much farther.
    -L

RC Qualifier
    So spektrum 3.0dsm it is for me. With 2 sr3000 rx. One for the merbe and the other for my emaxx . Is it a big difference in response with the 2.4 vs stock?

RC Enthusiast
    I don't think you want this thing to have better response. The servo is really fast and the steering is a bit touchy. And with so much power, you need to be careful with your throttle finger. But to answer your question: I'm not sure. I think some of the older generation Spektrum (the DSM1) stuff is kind of slow. Probably not any faster than the stock TQ stuff. The newer DSM2 Spektrum is pretty fast, though.
    -L

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by lerivoontu
    Yep, that's right around 1000ft. It's really all that you need, as you can't see that much farther.
    Agreed!!! Yeah cause I was just bashing around then, I only race now and dont need a lot of range on the track, but now that I bought this new MERBE, I will be doing quite a bit bashing during the week before races.

Man I am in love with this mini!!!
    BEAST MODE [ON] OFF

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by lerivoontu
    I don't think you want this thing to have better response. The servo is really fast and the steering is a bit touchy. And with so much power, you need to be careful with your throttle finger. But to answer your question: I'm not sure. I think some of the older generation Spektrum (the DSM1) stuff is kind of slow. Probably not any faster than the stock TQ stuff. The newer DSM2 Spektrum is pretty fast, though.
    Thats correct, If you are going to do Spektrum and you want speed get the DX3R.
    BEAST MODE [ON] OFF

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by justpassedu
    honestly i wouldnt buy the tower 2.4ghz radio , for a little bit more money you can get something like a futaba 3pm 2.4ghz or a spectrum 2.0 or even 3.0 and have so much more adjustability then the tower radio , plus probably a bigger model memory and just way more adjustments in general. Im sure the tower radio works fine if youd like basic control and the 2.4ghz but if you plan on ever going to a track to race or own a few rc's i would get one of the other models i suggested .
    you can get a spectrum on ebay for really cheep of buy a new one from your lhs

RC Champion
    you can get a spectrum on ebay for really cheep of buy a new one from your lhs
    Yes but tha tower 2.4 receivers are only $17.00!! not $80.00 and $100.00 like others out there!
    Thanks
    Z....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SWEETZ28
    Yes but tha tower 2.4 receivers are only $17.00!! not $80.00 and $100.00 like others out there!
    yah but the dx series are programable and have basically a computer in them so that costs money

RC Competitor
    yah but the dx series are programable and have basically a computer in them so that costs money
    Some people don't need that amount of flexibility. I understand the advantage to people who race and want to control throttle curves and whatnot, but for guys who just mess around with friends and even just drive alone in their back yards, $90 receivers are completely unnecessary.
    Rusty VXL
    1/16 Revo
    ERBE

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RIC 9
    Some people don't need that amount of flexibility. I understand the advantage to people who race and want to control throttle curves and whatnot, but for guys who just mess around with friends and even just drive alone in their back yards, $90 receivers are completely unnecessary.
    i don't race exept against my dad but i like having the extra features but just my two cents.
    i understand some people don't need/want that

RC Qualifier
    so i went with the Spektrum DX 3.0 DSM..and the SR3000 RX..since those were the best/lowest cost value TX and RX that had 3channel..needed it for my emaxx..Will post back when its gets here in like a week on how well it was

RC Qualifier
    so i went with the Spektrum DX 3.0 DSM..and the SR3000 RX..since those were the best/lowest cost value TX and RX that had 3channel..needed it for my emaxx..Will post back when its gets here in like a week on how well it was
    good choice that is what i have and it has been great.

RC Qualifier
    good choice that is what i have and it has been great.
    Did you run it on the stock TX/RX when you first ran it..or did you change it out first thing??
    If you did use it..Was it a big difference??

About how far are the ranges on these things??
    -THANKS!!

RC Racer
    the tatic or tower is the secound best 2.4 out there first is futaba then tactic.spectrum is having so many problems mostly on water for the boats.The best 2.4 for the money is tatic i just talk to a guy that help make the radios and spectrum just made a new radio to fix some of there problems and the tactic rec. are 11.00 just hope they make a 3 ch gun cause the rec. are 3 ch.
    Quote Originally Posted by justpassedu

RC Enthusiast
    Personally, I'm going to get the Traxxas TQ2.4GHz radio system when I'm ready to swap out my stock AM radio. I'd like to use all Traxxas stuff whenever possible. And if the Traxxas 2.4 is good enough for a full-sized E-Revo brushless, it should be great for the 1/16th.
    -L

RC Champion
    Did you run it on the stock TX/RX when you first ran it..or did you change it out first thing??
    If you did use it..Was it a big difference??

About how far are the ranges on these things??
    -THANKS!!
    I changed mine out immediately, but I can tell you that you won't see any difference other than having more adjustments and what I think is a more comfortable transmitter. Speed wise you won't see much if any improvement with the 3000 receiver. The 3001 Pro has a faster response resolution but I don't really know that you need it anyway, the steering on these is amazing.

Range is further than you would be able to drive it and know which direction it's facing
    Traxxas racing!