Thread: Gearing??

RC Racer

Gearing??

Ok normally by installing a lower tooth count pinion gear the speeds go down/torque goes up but with this setup you go from a 28t count and single battery (or dual in parallel) for 30mph to a 23t count and dual batteries in series for 50 mph. So what kinds of speeds could this E-Revo get up to running the 28t with dual batteries in series? Anyone know or that have theirs already tried this? And if there is anything that can go wrong such as overheating issues or something like that. Thanks Guys
    E-Maxx Wicked Fun
    Mini E-Revo Freaking AWESOME!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SpdFrkRR
    Ok normally by installing a lower tooth count pinion gear the speeds go down/torque goes up but with this setup you go from a 28t count and single battery (or dual in parallel) for 30mph to a 23t count and dual batteries in series for 50 mph. So what kinds of speeds could this E-Revo get up to running the 28t with dual batteries in series? Anyone know or that have theirs already tried this? And if there is anything that can go wrong such as overheating issues or something like that. Thanks Guys
    The reason traxxas says to gear up when using higher voltage is to avoid overheating. You could do a few speed passes with the lower gearing just to see what the fastest speed you can get is but you risk burning something up if you run it like that for long.

My guess would be you may get an extra 5 to 8 mph with the 28t pinion (vs the 23 tooth) and two 6 cell packs.

RC poster
    (28/23) * 50 = 61 mph

RC Racer
    SO this bad boy will hit approx. 61 mph if the gearing is left alone?? May have to make a few quick passes so I can smoke my buddies Bandit VXL then crush him with the E-Maxx.....lol
    E-Maxx Wicked Fun

RC Racer
    SO this bad boy will hit approx. 61 mph if the gearing is left alone?? May have to make a few quick passes so I can smoke my buddies Bandit VXL then crush him with the E-Maxx.....lol

The Traxxas manual specifically states that if you don't change to the lower pinion you will damage your motor

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by sggeaux
    The Traxxas manual specifically states that if you don't change to the lower pinion you will damage your motor
    It says that because some would leave the stock gearing and try to run it for ten minutes like that...Like I said, a couple of passes up and down the street to see how fast it can go won't hurt anything. I wouldn't run it more than a total of 1 minute.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You could get away with a few passes like candy76man has said, but keep a close eye on temps after the first pass..
    killer to see 60mph out of it!

RC Competitor
    Might have to try that before doing the switch to the smaller pinion.
    HPI E-Firestorm
    1/16 VXL Slash
    V3 Bonzer

RC Racer
    Yeah I will have to give it a try to see what it will do real quick. I got a pretty large parking lot we run in for speed runs that's smooth and open.
    E-Maxx Wicked Fun

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yeah I will have to give it a try to see what it will do real quick. I got a pretty large parking lot we run in for speed runs that's smooth and open.
    Let us know how it goes!

RC Racer
    it will be a week or two before my revo gets out here to Iraq. I am still waiting on some parts for my E-Maxx so I can jump this bunker. Took some pics of the bunker its on the E-Maxx pages.
    E-Maxx Wicked Fun

RC Champion
    When you double the voltage, you also double the current draw, with no other changes. It's simple ohm's law. Voltage/resistance = current. If all else stays the same, and you bump up the voltage, current increases also.
    You have a rodent infestation. Shall I terminate?