Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Dewalt story

RC Racer
    Believe it or not, there is method to my madness:

I'm intending to ultimately go brushless but a MMM combo is too rich for me at present - It's the best part of £300 / $500 and I've just spent that on the E-Revo! Mrs R tz wouldn't be impressed!

So, I can get the combo in pieces. CastleLink first, then the ESC, then the motor and finally the batteries. The ESC can drive a brushed motor so I would be able to run the DeWalt and tune it using the CastleLink while I save up for the motor. I have no idea whether the MMM would show an improvement over the EVX2 driving the DeWalt but that's why I asked the question.

In the importal words of Johnny Cash " I got it one piece at a time......"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBLrn...eature=related

Make sense?

Good!

R tz
    Last edited by RootzMan; 06-12-2009 at 10:04 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You can get the MMM/2200kV combo for $249 shipped!
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC poster
    well off topic, but ive read an was told an local hobby shop that theres problems w/ mmm. motor or speed control. im wanting brushless, but im not liking the thought of buying installing just to wait for the replacement. any thoughts.?

RC Champion
    There is nothing wrong with the MMM. Many of the issues people do have are results from using inadequate batteries. I haven't had any issues with mine and I push 6S through it pretty often.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yea, the MMM/2200kV is the best out there...PERIOD! RUn a good set of batteries, don't under/over-gear the truck, and it will be fine.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 2IS
    There is nothing wrong with the MMM. Many of the issues people do have are results from using inadequate batteries. I haven't had any issues with mine and I push 6S through it pretty often.
    Likewise here. Extremely happy.
    Faster Higher Longer Harder
    youtube.com/BisMaxx •

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RootzMan
    Believe it or not, there is method to my madness:

I'm intending to ultimately go brushless but a MMM combo is too rich for me at present - It's the best part of £300 / $500 and I've just spent that on the E-Revo! Mrs R tz wouldn't be impressed!

So, I can get the combo in pieces. CastleLink first, then the ESC, then the motor and finally the batteries. The ESC can drive a brushed motor so I would be able to run the DeWalt and tune it using the CastleLink while I save up for the motor. I have no idea whether the MMM would show an improvement over the EVX2 driving the DeWalt but that's why I asked the question.

In the importal words of Johnny Cash " I got it one piece at a time......"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBLrn...eature=related

Make sense?

Good!

R tz

Yep! That makes sense, but be aware that the whole kit is less than $300 probably including shipping to your country! Just wait and save so you can get the single box kit with everything you listed in the box!
    youtube.com/BisMaxx •

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by djbis
    Yep! That makes sense, but be aware that the whole kit is less than $300 probably including shipping to your country! Just wait and save so you can get the single box kit with everything you listed in the box!
    Wait??!! Wish I could! I went down the whole DeWalt road because I'd fried 2 sets of Titans in an hour of running. Of course I would have bought an ERBE if I'd had the cash but it would be a shelf queen as I wouldn't have enough for batteries and a charger! - Least I've got 2 sets of decent batteries and a great charger! ( 4 x TrakPower 2S/4900/25C & Prolux Pro-LB6 )

Now I've found the MMM combo at $240 on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mamba-Monster-...3A1%7C294%3A24

...so I guess I'll be saving up for that. Wish it was that price over here in the UK.

Cheerz!

R tz

RC Champion
    see below...
    youtube.com/BisMaxx •

RC Champion

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RootzMan
    Wait??!! Wish I could! I went down the whole DeWalt road because I'd fried 2 sets of Titans in an hour of running. Of course I would have bought an ERBE if I'd had the cash but it would be a shelf queen as I wouldn't have enough for batteries and a charger! - Least I've got 2 sets of decent batteries and a great charger! ( 4 x TrakPower 2S/4900/25C & Prolux Pro-LB6 )

Now I've found the MMM combo at $240 on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mamba-Monster-...3A1%7C294%3A24

...so I guess I'll be saving up for that. Wish it was that price over here in the UK.

Cheerz!

R tz

There you go!

$240 + $35 for shipping = Steal!
    youtube.com/BisMaxx •

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Whoa, you can get the full combo (with Castle Link) for $249 shipped on eBay, no need to pay $35 for shipping!!!

RC Racer
    Whoa look at my thread go The parts has been shipped from US, still waiting to get them (I'm in Denmark) - can't wait!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_dk
    Whoa look at my thread go The parts has been shipped from US, still waiting to get them (I'm in Denmark) - can't wait!
    Dang! You saved that money REAL QUICK huh?
    youtube.com/BisMaxx •

RC Racer
    I just made the "Dewalt switch". I was wondering if anyone has any problems with the motor melting the small esc water-proof box where the wires go in since this motor gets so hot and is VERY close to it. If so, how do you guys fix this?
    Last edited by howie3; 08-07-2009 at 04:23 AM.

RC Racer
    Hi Howie,

I never had that problem, no. My DeWalt used to get hot, but not THAT hot! My guess is any or all of the below:

1) You're running the wrong gearing ( 21/54 worked for me )

2) You're running in very tough conditions ( eg: long grass, lots of hill climbing, etc )

3) You're running in high ambient temperatures

4) You're running for long periods ( over 15 mins ) Switching batteries?

If the the motor case is that hot, the rotor will be even hotter. If you're not careful, you'll burn the varnish off the windings and then you'll start to get shorts. The motor performance will suffer and ultimately you'll let the smoke out. It may take the ESC with it if there's a dead short.

As a rule of thumb, dab a wet finger on the motor can. If it just steams off then it'll probably be OK. If it fizzes off in seconds, it's too hot.

If I'm wide of the mark, let me know.

Cheerz!

R tz

RC Racer
    No, I'm not done yet, just starting to line everything up and finish some soldering. What I did find out is if you do the adjustable wheelbase (#5333R) upgrade, which btw is very easy to install, they give you two screws to move your bumper out and the two screws you take out fit the Dewalt motor perfect.
    Last edited by howie3; 08-09-2009 at 07:35 AM.

RC Qualifier
    This is dissapointing for me. I was hoping to buy a 3905 for the UK's winter time fun.

Planned to have the following.

Dewalt 12v
    2 speed conversion
    Pro Line Mashers
    Thick diff oil
    Stainless steel hex screws/bolts/nuts

It would purely be for wet weather as i've lots of RC's for the dry.
    The Titan motors are ok, but nothing fantastic. Single 775 seems a bit too slow and a Titan 775 in the UK costs about $60...

Perhaps the dewalt would be more suitable for me if i geared it a bit lower and with the winter coolness to stop it melting.

Was looking at the Banebots 775's as well. I've read a few things on here about them, but wondered how they compared to the Titan 775 and 700HO
    I was born to break the mould

RC Racer
    Yeah well, me and two buddies tried the dewalt (as mentioned in OP). But we all ran too hot, we did try different gearings but I guess its our driving style. We've now all switched to the MMM and haven't looked back since, it just works..

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcoretam
    This is dissapointing for me. I was hoping to buy a 3905 for the UK's winter time fun.

Planned to have the following.

Dewalt 12v
    2 speed conversion
    Pro Line Mashers
    Thick diff oil
    Stainless steel hex screws/bolts/nuts

It would purely be for wet weather as i've lots of RC's for the dry.
    The Titan motors are ok, but nothing fantastic. Single 775 seems a bit too slow and a Titan 775 in the UK costs about $60...

Perhaps the dewalt would be more suitable for me if i geared it a bit lower and with the winter coolness to stop it melting.

Was looking at the Banebots 775's as well. I've read a few things on here about them, but wondered how they compared to the Titan 775 and 700HO
    Hulloo Hardcore! You should still be able to use the DeWalt in Scottish autumn/winter conditions. Were you intending to use LiPo's? If ya don't mind lashing out £175, there's always the Mtroniks G2/T2 combo, which is completely waterproof.

Cheerz!

R tz

RC Champion
    Now that the summer is almost over I am preparing for winter with the MMM.
    As long as you don't submerge the vehicle I don't see why you should have to worry about snow and even rain or running over mud and light puddles.

You can help waterproof your lipo batteries with Plasti-Dip (brush-on or spray). Then you can use something like this ( http://www.outerwearsracing.com/prod...sp?prod=202536 )to protect your ESC from heavy water splashes. A second layer added to the fan and other open areas would help even more.
    youtube.com/BisMaxx •

RC Racer
    Is this thread for help with a Dewalt build or a MMM build???

RC Racer
    Now that the summer is almost over I am preparing for winter with the MMM.
    As long as you don't submerge the vehicle I don't see why you should have to worry about snow and even rain or running over mud and light puddles.

You can help waterproof your lipo batteries with Plasti-Dip (brush-on or spray). Then you can use something like this ( http://www.outerwearsracing.com/prod...sp?prod=202536 )to protect your ESC from heavy water splashes. A second layer added to the fan and other open areas would help even more.
    With my MaxAmp Lipos and the dewalt, I drive through very deep puddles (motor and batts definitely submerged) and no issues so far.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Most people don't realize that the correct break-in method for electric motors is to run them fully-submerged in a bowl of water! Running them in wet conditions is nothing, and as long as the other electronice can handle it, you can drive on the bottom of a pool if you want to.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Revo¹
    Most people don't realize that the correct break-in method for electric motors is to run them fully-submerged in a bowl of water! Running them in wet conditions is nothing, and as long as the other electronice can handle it, you can drive on the bottom of a pool if you want to.
    I always wet break in all my motors now. I find they run a bit cooler and perform a good bit better. Same performance increase from changing from Tamiya to Deans imo

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by howie3
    Is this thread for help with a Dewalt build or a MMM build???
    It was about Dewalt, but then it changed to MMM when the original poster had problems with the Dewalt and decided that an MMM was worth a try.

So I guess it is now about MMM.

Just read above.
    youtube.com/BisMaxx •

RC Racer
    It was about Dewalt, but then it changed to MMM when the original poster had problems with the Dewalt and decided that an MMM was worth a try.

So I guess it is now about MMM.

Just read above.
    Like they say, two wrongs don't make a right. There are plenty of MMM threads.

RC Racer
    Like they say, two wrongs don't make a right. There are plenty of MMM threads.
    Yeah, lets keep this a dewalt thead, if it can help others make the thing work (work as in last )..

RC Qualifier
    Is anyone having long term success with the Dewalt motor conversion i'm wondering. Some reports of heat issues.

RC Racer
    I was wondering where you guys got the pinion from for the Dewalt motor? My LHS didn't have anything that would fit.

RC Racer
    I was wondering where you guys got the pinion from for the Dewalt motor? My LHS didn't have anything that would fit.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVCX5&P=7
    Look at bottom for more options.

RC Racer
    You can also get a good selection of pinions from Kershaw designs...

http://204.186.93.64/Pinions.htm

...and RW racing

http://www.rwracing.co.uk/cars.html

You need a 32 DP or 0.8 mod pinion with a 5mm bore.

HPI have just started selling Robinson Racing pinions for the Savage Flux. They're 1 Mod so you'd need a new ( 1 Mod ) spur.

http://www.hpieurope.com/options.php...&partNo=100647

Apparently, there's a "perfect" pinion for the DeWalt. You can turn it round so that the grub screw is furthest from the motor and apparently you can mount the motor without using a spacer or washers. I don't know who makes it though. Anyone??

Cheerz!

R tz
    Last edited by RootzMan; 08-12-2009 at 10:50 AM.

RC Racer
    BigSquidRC
    take it home in a bucket

RC poster
    When I looked up the 12v Dewalt new version, I am curious. Is this a direct fit onto the e-revo. And, when it said it can be overvolted, how much could I do it with nimh batteries? Like 1 Venom 9.6v with 1 Venom 8.4 volt? And note, even though this is an e-revo forum, I can still apply this to the E-maxx? Because I have not seen a Dewalt motor on an E-maxx in a forum.

RC Racer
    Whether a DeWalt motor is a direct fit depends which pinion you get. If you get the Traxxas pinion, according to craigsassylum, above, you don't need a spacer. Most pinions need a spacer approx 10mm thick.

Can you overvolt a DeWalt motor to 18V? I'd say yes.

Can you fit a DeWalt motor to an E-Maxx? I'd think so.

Hope this helps you.

Cheerz!

R tz

RC Qualifier

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Revo¹
    Yea, the MMM/2200kV is the best out there...PERIOD! RUn a good set of batteries, don't under/over-gear the truck, and it will be fine.
    HAHA I'm sorry but I had to laugh at this one ... IMHO The Tekin RX8 with the 2250 is the BEST out there...PERIOD!!!
    E-Maxx | T-Maxx 3.3 | (2) MERV's | YZ250F

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbyLover
    HAHA I'm sorry but I had to laugh at this one ... IMHO The Tekin RX8 with the 2250 is the BEST out there...PERIOD!!!
    I agree, but when he made that statement the Rx8 had just been released and was having or just fixed the rotor issues.

RC Qualifier
    Oh ok sorry my apologies.... Go RX8 LOL!!.
    E-Maxx | T-Maxx 3.3 | (2) MERV's | YZ250F

RC Competitor
    so you guys are saying that you can run the dewalt with a brushless esc? I know that the dewalt can be overvolted but at what point. I don't really know too much on this, is it as far your esc can take current, you can overvolted the dewalt, but the motor should get very hot!

RC Qualifier
    The 12v Dewalt can easily handle 4s lipo and will scream with 5s lipo. Only problem is on 5s the brushes will wear much faster.

The motor is fan cooled so it will get hot if you run slow or are doing lots of stop and go driving. My Dewalt running 4s lipo and 21/62 gearing will run all day at WOT with no heat issues. After my last bash with lots of jumping, power slides, and hill climbing my temps were only 125F on the can and 175F on the rotor. That's 6000mah worth of running and 22 minutes of non-stop driving, but I keep the rpm's up so the fan works to keep the motor cool. I'm actually thinking of trying a 58 or 54 spur for more speed and see what temps do.

RC Qualifier
    Not physically possible because of the connectors on the MMM ESC. Not that you would want either!
    You can use brushless ESC with a brushed motor, just not the other way around. You just use two of the wires and if it goes backwards try two more or just switch them. All you would need to do is put some bullet connectors on the brushed motor....which isn't really that hard to do.

Edit: totally didn't realize this thread was this long. Sorry for the restatement lol
    what was that? what was what..oh that. thats mine.