RC Enthusiast

Cleaning motor.....

In the manual of the ERBE....

Motors: Every 10-15 runs, remove, clean, and lubricate the
    motors. Use a product such as electric motor cleaning spray to
    flush dirt out of the motors. After cleaning, lubricate the bushings
    at each end of the motors with a drop of light-weight electric
    motor oil.

How much of the motor should I really take apart to get in there and clean it? I've got the spray, but am left in the dark from the manual's brief instructions on "flushing" dirt out and accessing the bushings that need to be lubricated. Thanks!

Those are instructions for brushed motors, not the Castle-built 1515 brushless motor. I would not recommend those procedures for it.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Those are instructions for brushed motors, not the Castle-built 1515 brushless motor. I would not recommend those procedures for it.
    TRAXXAS didn't update the manual for the brushless edition? So what are some recommendations for cleaning the brushless motors? Just clean the pinion gear and spur gear area?

RC Qualifier
    Unless you are rebuilding the motor, you do not need to clean the brushless revo motor internals. Its sealed. Cleaning can remove the lubricant from the bearings.

If you have a vented, unsealed can from another manufacturer, feel free to use a quick shot of electronics cleaner once in a while.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by chapinb View Post
    Unless you are rebuilding the motor, you do not need to clean the brushless revo motor internals. Its sealed. Cleaning can remove the lubricant from the bearings.

If you have a vented, unsealed can from another manufacturer, feel free to use a quick shot of electronics cleaner once in a while.
    Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by craftmath View Post
    TRAXXAS didn't update the manual for the brushless edition? So what are some recommendations for cleaning the brushless motors? Just clean the pinion gear and spur gear area?
    There was an addendum included.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...l_091201_0.pdf

Talking about this? I didn't see anything there about changing the maintenance of motor cleaning though.