RC Racer

Battery Issues...again!

I recently had 2 Venom 5000mah 8.4 batteries go poof. Venom replaced them with no questions asked, so I went ahead and tried the 2nd set. After about 6 runs, these also went up in smoke/flame! I'm worried that I'm doing something wrong! The batteries had been charged maybe 30 minutes before running them and were completely cool (I keep them on a fan during the charge). I only ran for maybe 5 minutes. I crashed and messed something up in a steering servo, so I turned the power off on the ESC and...poof! The motors weren't even warm...but the batteries were flaming hot and blew the last cell of each pack. Am I doing something wrong here? I'm geared at a
    15t pinion and stock spur. Running on loose dirt and short grass. ???

That said...I'm planning on just buying some new LiPos. Forget the NIMH packs! Has anyone used the 6000mah SMC Lipo hard-case packs? Do they fit the E-Revo?

Any recommendations on LiPo packs? Also, would you guys recommend getting 2s and running them in series or would I be better off getting 4s and making a paralell harness?

Thanks!

RC Champion
    It's up to you man, but I go with 2 trakpower 5400mAh 2s in series for bashing around everywhere. BUT buy the best that you can afford, or roll the ***** dice. (even though alot of people have had good experiences) I'd say go with 2 2s in series to start, then as the money is free try other settings.
    2s in series won't let you down!!!
    1717/XL2 EREVO

RC Racer
    How do you like the Trakpower 5400's? What kind of runtime (on a stock?)???

RC Champion
    Sorry but my e revo is now brushless, I can't comment on stock runtimes, but I love the lipos. I only have one other type of lipos to compair to, but I am very happy with my 54's. Fit nice, good value
    1717/XL2 EREVO

RC Racer
    Anyone heard anything about these Kershaw packs...?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreycemerson
    ... After about 6 runs, these also went up in smoke/flame! I'm worried that I'm doing something wrong! The batteries had been charged maybe 30 minutes before running them and were completely cool (I keep them on a fan during the charge). I only ran for maybe 5 minutes.
    Cooling Nimh packs with a fan during the charge cycle will allow them to overcharge. I'm not saying this is why your packs failed, however it is recommended to not use any external cooling on Nimh packs during the charge cycle.

RC Qualifier
    ... I crashed and messed something up in a steering servo, so I turned the power off on the ESC and...poof! ...
    Thanks!
    Did you unplug the batteries, or just push the off button?

RC Racer
    I just pushed the off button. I was going to unplug the batteries in a few seconds, but they went up in smoke first.

RC Qualifier
    I just pushed the off button. I was going to unplug the batteries in a few seconds, but they went up in smoke first.
    Well, there's your problem right there. Does your ESC have the tag that came on it telling you not to turn it off with the button? Check the FAQs or search and you'll find the discussion of this.

Maybe call Traxxas and see if they can get you a different ESC. I think I read that the proplem has been addressed with a diode on recent ESCs.

RC Qualifier
    I recently had 2 Venom 5000mah 8.4 batteries go poof. Venom replaced them with no questions asked, so I went ahead and tried the 2nd set. After about 6 runs, these also went up in smoke/flame! I'm worried that I'm doing something wrong! The batteries had been charged maybe 30 minutes before running them and were completely cool (I keep them on a fan during the charge). I only ran for maybe 5 minutes. I crashed and messed something up in a steering servo, so I turned the power off on the ESC and...poof! The motors weren't even warm...but the batteries were flaming hot and blew the last cell of each pack. Am I doing something wrong here? I'm geared at a
    15t pinion and stock spur. Running on loose dirt and short grass. ???

That said...I'm planning on just buying some new LiPos. Forget the NIMH packs! Has anyone used the 6000mah SMC Lipo hard-case packs? Do they fit the E-Revo?

Any recommendations on LiPo packs? Also, would you guys recommend getting 2s and running them in series or would I be better off getting 4s and making a paralell harness?

Thanks!
    must be doing something wrong 20 charges on my venoms 8.4 5000 mah no problems yet maybe people just want to start a thread I dont know?
    baja 5B
    ERBE
    XO-1
    Rally 1/10

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by savage t-mack
    must be doing something wrong 20 charges on my venoms 8.4 5000 mah no problems yet maybe people just want to start a thread I dont know?
    Um, I'm pretty sure it boils down to #11 in this thread.

He wasn't unplugging the batts, he pushed the "off" button.