RC Racer

2 lipos and 2 nimhs...

is it ok to run a brushed vehicle using lipo power...then when those batteries die, switching over to nimh packs.
    right now i only have nimhs but when i get some lipos and install the safety cutoff can both styles be used???

RC Competitor
    What vehicle? most stock ESC's have a way to turn the safety cutoff on (lipo) or off (Nimh)

RC Racer
    i am looking at an emaxx or hopefully erevo. do the brushed versions give me the cutoff switch?

RC Qualifier
    no they do not have a built in lipo cutoff
    If it didn't break you can do it again.

RC Racer
    so is it ok to run both battery types in a brushed vehicle that is equipped with a cutoff?

RC Champion
    I leart the hard way, if you plan on getting lipos don't waste a cent on nihm. Yes, you can run both if you have a Low Voltage Cutoff (LVC) but why bother? buy one set of lipos, and save for the second, IMHO. If you like this hobby and like to fool around with your truck, then don't bother with nihm. You will buy them, then sell them for less to buy more lipos. Or maybe thats just me, but do your research!!!
    Last edited by UberBricky42; 05-20-2009 at 08:42 PM.
    1717/XL2 EREVO

RC Qualifier
    yes you can run both but in a high output brushless system NiMh can't keep up with lipo
    If it didn't break you can do it again.

Also, if you use an add-on Lipo cutoff like the Novak smartstop, it will probably cut off on the Nimh packs WAY early. Pain in the rear. But qes, it will work.

RC Racer
    I'm in a similar situation with my Brushed eRevo. I have 2 sets of Nihms with Lipo on the way. I'm slowly moving toward brushless and don't want to make any redundant purchases. For now the 550's are running fine. But want the Lipo's for more runtime than the Nihms. I have a Novak Smart Stop on the way as well and was going to put together a "Kraegar Harness" so I can easily switch between my Lipos with the LVC harness and take it off when I run my Nihms.

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...=425846&page=2