RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Exclamation My new airbrush setup for the Revo paint contest (and my other bodies, too)...

A couple months ago, I decided I wanted to get an airbrush setup to paint better bodies, as well as do custom paint work on real cars, trucks, bikes, quads, or anything else that might look cool with custom airbrushing...well, while searching eBay, I found this NIB setup that included all of the below pieces, and using my super-secret & super-effective method of getting stuff on eBay for cheap, I won the auction for for just $60 (it was $58 and change)! I can't wait to start practicing and then painting for real!

[1] Master's TC-series (Model TC-60) 110-220v, 1/6hp, 60psi (adjustable, regulated, filtered) air-compressor.
    [2] Master's S-series (Model S62) double-action, internal-mix, bottom-feed (siphon-feed) airbrush.
    [3] Master's E-series (Model E91) single-action, external-mix, bottom-feed (siphon-feed) airbrush.
    [4] Master's G-series (Model G22) double-action, internal-mix, top-feed (gravity-feed) airbrush.
    [5] All the hoses, connectors, extra needles, tips

Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Qualifier
    looks really cool, now lets see somthing painted!!
    http://z3.invisionfree.com/********* A REAL FORUM

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Here are the colors that I will be using on all of my personal bodies...I am painting them all with the same scheme so they match!

All paints are Parma FASKOLOR: Thinner, White, Pearl Silver, Pearl Blue, Window Tint, Pearl Charcoal, Pearl Black, & Black.

RC Champion
    When it comes to airbrushing, practice counts for a lot more than your equipment, but it definitely helps to have the right tools for the job.

The gravity feed brush looks like an Iwata clone, which isn't a bad thing. For RC bodies, especially with thicker paints, that brush is going to be your workhorse. I use my Iwata HP-CS for all my detail work and medium coverage areas.

Your double action siphon feed you'll discover is somewhat limiting on fine detail work unless your paint is so thin that you have zero margin for error. I use my Paasche VL-ST Pro for large coverage areas and backing colors.

Your single action external mix siphon feed brush will work fine on t-shirts, but I wouldn't expect great things from it on bodies with lexan suitable paints.

I also hope your compressor is quiet, tankless compressors can get super annoying with the constant running if they're loud. My 15 gallon shop compressor pulls double duty as my airbrush source. Usually it kicks on just about the time I'm ready to take a break from painting anyways, so it works out pretty well, heh.

Post up your work, even if you don't like your results, I'll post some tips for you if you'd like.
    -Harry | Racing and Painting
    1stGenPaint

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    And here are all of my personal bodies that I am going to paint with my new airbrush...

[1] PROTOform Revo 3.3 HardDrive (for my Traxxas Revo 3.3)
    [2] CEN Matrix (for my GS Racing Storm)
    [3] Team Academy SB Sport/Pro (for my Team Academy SB Sport Pro Carbon Limited Edition II)
    [4] EXOTEK Kuda (for my EXOTEK TEK18X converted Associated Factory Team RC18T)
    [5] Team Losi Mini-T (for my Team Losi Mini-T)
    [6] Kamtec mini Tamiya Sand Scorcher replica (for my other RC18T)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] PROTOform Revo 3.3 HardDrive (for my Traxxas Revo 3.3)

[2] CEN Matrix (for my GS Racing Storm)

[3] Team Academy SB Sport/Pro (for my Team Academy SB Sport Pro Carbon Limited Edition II)

[4] EXOTEK Kuda (for my EXOTEK TEK18X converted Associated Factory Team RC18T)

[5] Team Losi Mini-T (for my Team Losi Mini-T)

[6] Kamtec mini Tamiya Sand Scorcher replica (for my other RC18T)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stGenCRXer
    When it comes to airbrushing, practice counts for a lot more than your equipment, but it definitely helps to have the right tools for the job.

The gravity feed brush looks like an Iwata clone, which isn't a bad thing. For RC bodies, especially with thicker paints, that brush is going to be your workhorse. I use my Iwata HP-CS for all my detail work and medium coverage areas.

Your double action siphon feed you'll discover is somewhat limiting on fine detail work unless your paint is so thin that you have zero margin for error. I use my Paasche VL-ST Pro for large coverage areas and backing colors.

Your single action external mix siphon feed brush will work fine on t-shirts, but I wouldn't expect great things from it on bodies with lexan suitable paints.

I also hope your compressor is quiet, tankless compressors can get super annoying with the constant running if they're loud. My 15 gallon shop compressor pulls double duty as my airbrush source. Usually it kicks on just about the time I'm ready to take a break from painting anyways, so it works out pretty well, heh.

Post up your work, even if you don't like your results, I'll post some tips for you if you'd like.
    DUDE, thank you so much...I really appreciate it!

I turned on this compressor when I first got it, and it is extremely quiet...the manual says 40dB, but it doesn't sound that loud at all.

Also, I used to do a lot of paintwork on 1:1 vehicles, so I am setup with some serious hardware...I have two other tank compressors, a Campbell Hausfeld 20-gallon, and a Campbell Hausfeld 60-gallon, with all of the accessoried needed...so, if I have to, I can regulate one of those and use it. But, I think this little one will be fine for me.

Looks like a great deal you got there and a lot of work ahead of you.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Champion
    Salon Air? Is that what you use to spray on tan too?

Just kidding Revo1! That is a nice looking set up you got there! Looking forward to seeing Team Revo1 bodies all painted up!
    Eat my road grit, liver lips! -Clark W. Griswold

RC Racer
    I have an airbrush. Looks like its time to bust it out and learn how it works.

I can't be getting showed up by my buddies in my own dang contest!

You get that body ordered, Chad? The wheels made it today. I slid 2 of my CrimeFighters on there (no glue) just to get an idea of how they'll look. They are narrow, but man are they light! And they look awesome! Time to bust out the black dye!
    OMG LOL!!!

RC Qualifier
    Eagerly waiting to see the results !

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoš
    DUDE, thank you so much...I really appreciate it!

I turned on this compressor when I first got it, and it is extremely quiet...the manual says 40dB, but it doesn't sound that loud at all.

Also, I used to do a lot of paintwork on 1:1 vehicles, so I am setup with some serious hardware...I have two other tank compressors, a Campbell Hausfeld 20-gallon, and a Campbell Hausfeld 60-gallon, with all of the accessoried needed...so, if I have to, I can regulate one of those and use it. But, I think this little one will be fine for me.
    If you'd done work on 1:1's, just remember you have to do everything in reverse when painting lexan.

Quiet or not, I think I'd be chucking that tankless job in the corner and setting up dual water traps on the 20-gallon. Nothing's worse than shadowing in "just a touch more" and have a pressure change. If you're die-hard going to use the tankless compressor, I'd only use the double actions and set the regulator up while you're holding full air [no paint], and get used to not releasing air when you're painting just to keep your pressure consistent.
    -Harry | Racing and Painting
    1stGenPaint

RC Champion
    Revo! , your color palette is about the same as mine .

What is going to be the main base color too your paint jobs ?
    At WARN 80% and climbing !

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    1stGen, I have painted lots of bodies before (rattle cans), so I am used to painting things outside to inside instead of inside to outside like on 1:1 cars!

JATO, white is going to be the main color, since all of my wheels and wings are white, and there will be a lot of metallic silver, with the rest of the colors being for the graphics and highlights.

RC Champion
    White is a tough main color to use in my opinion. Just because colors show through white so easily, unless you properly layer or back it with something. But with that said, they look so good when done! Clean, smooth, fast looking!
    Eat my road grit, liver lips! -Clark W. Griswold

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well, when you paint a body, you start with the darkest color and end with the lightest, so there won't be any color over the white, except another white backing coat.