RC poster

Conversion Transmission

Hi there. I would like to convert a 2.5 to brushless, and am wondering if I can adapt use an E Revo transmission for the conversion? OR, if I use the nitro tranny, do I need to use the clutch, as per the Tekno RC Conversion? I will be using a Novak 4.5 HV Pro system. Thanks in advance.....

I did a conversion, and I used the 3.3 transmission, and I have the Kershaw Designs kit, which doesn't leave room for the Elektriklutch (spelling?). Since I was starting from scratch, I left the reverse in it to see how it worked. Shifting from 1st to 2nd was a bit touchy, because it REALLY wanted to flip over backwards. The black and white gears in the transmission made a nasty gray powder in less than 5 minutes. Replaced the gears, and loosened the slipper clutch a bit. When I got it to the point that the slipper wasn't over heating, the trans shredded itself again. OK, center diff, forward only conversion on the trans. Still has the 2 speed. Shredded for the 3rd time in 10 minutes.

I was using the Castle MMM/Neu 2200 motor combo on 4s Lipo for all this. I would expect that the Novak setup (any motor) would be MUCH easier on the gears than the MMM, so if you are definite about the motor, you may be able to get away with it. For me, I'm thinking either metal gears, or just pop an E-Maxx transmission in it and forget about the 2 speed and mechanical brakes.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Just use the RC-Monster motor-mount, regular pinions, and the nitro transmission locked in 2nd gear with reverse removed...the motor is used for brakes and reverse, and it is an excellent setup (what I use).
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

Quote Originally Posted by Revoš
    Just use the RC-Monster motor-mount, regular pinions, and the nitro transmission locked in 2nd gear with reverse removed...the motor is used for brakes and reverse, and it is an excellent setup (what I use).
    The transmission holds up when it is locked in 2nd? Interesting. I may give that a try. That would probably be easier than mounting a different trans. I'm kind of leaning towards a metal gear set - this thing is SOOO cool when it hits 2nd, starts screaming, and carries the front end for 30 yards. . . Untill it breaks.

RC poster

Conversion Transmission

That's the answer I was looking for!! I knew someone could help me out. Cheap and easy setup. My tranny is already FOC. Thanks very much Revo1!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You don't need a metal transmission gear set, the plastic will be just fine...that's what the slipper is for.

RC Qualifier
    I have converted my 2.5 to brushless. i´m using a feigao 8xl and a aftermarket esc, unknown brand, from china, 4s lipo. i have pusht the driveline to the limit, cracked 5driveshaft, and many many plastic spurgears and tons of the original diffs... i now drive with a metal spurgear and all metal diffs. it works fine for me. full throttle landings, no problems. but as Cainam says, shifting from gear one to two when you got traction is.....well, i like to see it flip. it´s just hard in the begining. I recomend aluminium diff cups, fresh ballbearings and metal spurgear.

RC poster
    Thanks man! Do you use a metal spur gear? Any advise on locking into 2nd gear...I've heard soooo many opinions and ways to do it. Just want to here from someone who has done it properly and it works. Like I said, any info is graciously accepted!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    No, I run a plastic spur, since properly adjusted it will never strip...it also acts as a weak-link in case something does happen, and will strip instead of stripping something inside the transmission, which is harder to get to and more expensive.

I used the most common method of locking it into 2nd gear, where you make 3 moon-shaped indentions on the edge of the 2ng gear clutch, and then thread 3 4x10mm buttonhead screws through those indentions and into the holes that are already in the 2nd gear. It is very easy to do, and is very strong...I also made sure that the pawls were out and firmly catching the pawl-pins for added strength and durability.