RC Racer

electrics = toys

Ok, when I first got into the hobby a few monthes ago, I bought a Traxxas Bandit, my first R/C car ever. 2WD, brushed electric RC car. I loved it and it was amazing.

I have since then bought a HPI Baja 5B, and more importantly a Traxxas Slayer. Im waiting on parts for my Slayer, so I had to drive something. So I dusted off my Bandit, took the time to install the new shock tower and front bulkhead on it and get it back into running order.

Took it outside, drove it some.....and man. It just doesnt compare. Im hoping that its only cause it has a brushed motor, but it just doesnt compare to anything. Nitro is better than it, and my Slayer is certainly miles ahead of it.

Electrics really are toys in my opinion now. lol. Maybe once my Slayer is where I feel I can "race" it well enough at the local track and I have everything working how I want it on my Baja, I may invest in a brushless moter and ESC for my Bandit and see if that makes it any less of a toy, but I doubt it. lol. Its still great cause theres no maintenance involved, just charge, plug and play.....but its a toy.

Nitro may be hard to tune sometimes, messy and just plain a pain with all the maintenance but nothing compares to it.
    Last edited by Misbehavin'; 05-17-2009 at 11:18 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by KROGOTH
    Ok, when I first got into the hobby a few monthes ago, I bought a Traxxas Bandit, my first R/C car ever. 2WD, brushed electric RC car. I loved it and it was amazing.

I have since then bought a HPI Baja 5B, and more importantly a Traxxas Slayer. Im waiting on parts for my Slayer, so I had to drive something. So I dusted off my Bandit, took the time to install the new shock tower and front bulkhead on it and get it back into running order.

Took it outside, drove it some.....and man. It just doesnt compare. Im hoping that its only cause it has a brushed motor, but it just doesnt compare to anything. Nitro is better than it, and my Slayer is certainly miles ahead of it.

Electrics really are toys in my opinion now. lol. Maybe once my Slayer is where I feel I can "race" it well enough at the local track and I have everything working how I want it on my Baja, I may invest in a brushless moter and ESC for my Bandit and see if that makes it any less of a toy, but I doubt it. lol. Its still great cause theres no maintenance involved, just charge, plug and play.....but its a toy.

Nitro may be hard to tune sometimes, messy and just plain a pain in the *** with all the maintenance but nothing compares to it.
    Every fri and sat we meet up at a parking lot.. 50 people or so... There are x-ray 1/18 scale nitro cars that just warp around the track... We got FG MTs and sportsline GT cars... We have rustlers with mamba brushless engines that flip over at half throttle... Electric is so fast... Beats the crap out of nitro....
    bandit VXL with Lipo = lots of drooooling...
    Yesterday at the track I saw one on lipo setting the track on fire.
    E-Revo VXL with lipo = droool again

I just love nitro simply because its heavier so it needs a real aluminum chassis, nitro sound, and shifting through gears never gets old... Plus just refuel and go... I also engine tuning nitro engines... electric is nice for indoors thats about it... And thats just my opinion not fact. I love working on nitro engines and so on..... Nitro is just fun period.
    Last edited by Shervin; 05-17-2009 at 08:29 AM.

RC Racer
    Dont get me wrong, Im gonna keep my Bandit and I know what can be done with brushless +LiPo, but I cant think of them as anything more than toys. lol.

I love nitro's and ive only had one so far!

RC Racer
    No offense but I will bet you that my E-Slayer would out run your slayer all the way around a track. Not all electric cars are "toys" there are some really fun ones and in my opinion electric is easier just cause I got tired of the nitro b.s. of tuning all the time.
    E-Slayer-MMM 2200kv

RC Racer
    But I bet you that I would enjoy driving my Slayer alot more than any e-slayer. lol.

Irony of it all is, if I cant find a way to get fuel out here in Iraq, I will have no choice but to convert it to an E-Slayer. DOH!

RC Qualifier
    Technically all of these are toys. But the only RCs that I conceder toys are nonhobby quality RCs which are electric. I think the reason some people associate electric with toys is because every cheap nonhobby quality RC is electric. But when you get into it electrics can run further and faster but to each their own. And I have a Slayer which I only broke in and now it sits waiting to be converted to brushless.
    Last edited by 444Platrevo; 05-17-2009 at 08:52 AM.
    -----The iceage is over, embrace the voltage.-----

RC Qualifier
    In my opinion it took a lot of research to get my E-Slayer the way that I wanted it. So I don't feel that it is a toy. When I think of an R/C "TOY" I think of my Nylint Crawler and the Tyco R/Cs you get at the "MART" stores. And trust me - tuning the Electric ESC - tons of fun - and she will out run any nitro.
    Summit

RC Qualifier
    444Platrevo - you beat me to it by 3 min... hahahaha....
    Summit

RC Racer
    Lol. This is all opinion only! I know how good brushless can be lol. And I know that I may end up turning my slayer into an E-Slayer if I cant get fuel out here, and do plan on buying a Castle Creations ESC and Brushless for my Bandit one day! lol.

But it will still be a toy. Action movie on mute. No sound. Just not the same lol.

RC Qualifier
    xtremesummit, I like your E-Slayer, looks sweet.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have a Bandit VXL... Try yours with a Velineon, metal gear tranny, black shafts and a 11.1 volts (3S) 5000Mah LiPo battery and get back to us... Also, try someday an E-Revo on 6S... I can assure you that will change your mind about the "toys"...
    Last edited by danielhr77; 05-17-2009 at 09:13 AM.
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Racer

Nitro may be hard to tune sometimes, messy and just plain a pain in the *** with all the maintenance but nothing compares to it.
    I bet my Novak Havoc Team Associated t4 will out run it.

RC Qualifier
    Lol. This is all opinion only! I know how good brushless can be lol. And I know that I may end up turning my slayer into an E-Slayer if I cant get fuel out here, and do plan on buying a Castle Creations ESC and Brushless for my Bandit one day! lol.

But it will still be a toy. Action movie on mute. No sound. Just not the same lol.
    Thatís cool, nitro will have the mechanical aspect and the engine sounds which are cooler for allot of people. I would rater bash with someone with a nitro than with no one at all.

RC Racer
    Right now all my "discretionary" funds are going to my Baja and my Slayer. One day I intend to get a Castle Creations ESC/brushless on the Bandit, but yeah. It will be a toy compared to the other two.

RC Racer
    I need to get someone to bash with. The only person I work with that Ive been able to kindle any interest in R/C just also happens to be the most annoying person I work with and would rather not spend any time with him outside of work. lol.

I failed in that respect. Back home, I have a good friend from high schools whos into R/C stuff but....I only go home once a year if Im lucky. -sigh-

RC Qualifier
    Totally agree that Nitro has a kick butt sound... And I too would rather bash with a Nitro then no one at all. I myself just don't like tuning the nitro (not really a motor head). With that being said I did just purchase a 5B - so we will see how big of a pain it is for me to keep it running.
    Summit

RC Racer
    Well I am with you on it being kinda like an action movie on mute but I wouldn't go back to nitro for anything. What are doing in Iraq? If you do end up having to go Electric with your Slayer check out my build and xtremesummits build, those will give you some really good ideas on everything.
    E-Slayer-MMM 2200kv

RC Qualifier
    Where the weakest are killed and eaten for the daily survival
    I like my vxl, because I cant afford nitro related items. When the money comes I will pull the nitro out. I cant afford a new motor, fuel and glowplugs. I miss that sound at midnight and the smell.
    Nobama '08 Welcome to the greatest depression.

RC Racer
    Xtremesummit - The Baja 5B is awesome! I have had more troubles with electronics and such on my Baja than anything and thats my own fault. Keep your Baja outta water! lol. The engine is easy, 1 tank to break it in, and I havent even had to touch the tuning needles and it runs just fine. No real after run maintenance either that I know of. 2-stroke is way different than Nitro engines. My only complaint about the Baja is that its a 2wd.

TXSuperman2005 - Im a mechanic in the Army. I fix stuff for work, and then I go home break stuff and fix it too! lol. My room resembles my work space :P tools and parts everywhere. lol. You got any links for your two builds? I cant be bothered to search for anything at the moment >.>

RC Qualifier
    Summit

RC Qualifier
    Ive been tossing the idea around for another build.. I'm not going to convert any that I have now but am planning another ground up build. You guys that have done the brushless conversions are using the Teckno kits. My question is.. Would it be worth adapting an E Revo tranny to the Slayer chassis?? Ive been looking at the concept for a couple reasons. The weight would be more centralized, would eliminate the ElectroClutch, the 2 speed and the nitro motor mount. Whats yalls take on this? Would it be feasable of am I way out in left field???

RC Qualifier
    Summit

RC Qualifier
    shawnp - I didn't use the "Electric-Clutch" on my E-Slayer (check the build, so we don't clutter this thread with my non-sense). I have reverse and only used a single speed on the tranny - the electric is to quick for the two speed (first gear was designed to help the nitros get going)..
    Summit

RC Qualifier
    Summit

RC Qualifier
    Summit

RC Qualifier
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=470032

rc-cpr's E-Slayer

There is a couple for you to look at.... hahahahahaha....
    Summit

RC Racer
    GOtta get ready to head out to the track tonight. Gonna bash with my Bandit between races and get some pics taken.

Ill check those out as I get time. Read some on yours. I cant solder to save my life so uhm....yeah

RC Qualifier
    But I bet you that I would enjoy driving my Slayer alot more than any e-slayer. lol.

Irony of it all is, if I cant find a way to get fuel out here in Iraq, I will have no choice but to convert it to an E-Slayer. DOH!
    I'm assuming you are there in the military? Have you considered that you may just have all the ingredients there to mix your own nitro? The base to nitro is kerosene if I'm not mistaken and jet fuel is pretty close to k1.

Dane
    Fight Global Warming. Turn Your A/C on High and Open All Your Windows! Get around the 50 char limit with brackets->

RC Qualifier
    Practice - Practice - Practice - Practice - Practice

Soldering is easy - just need to practice...
    Summit

RC Qualifier
    Can't wait to see some pictures.

I actually like both Elec and Nitro. Elec technology has come so far since when I first got my rustler that had a Manual Speed Control in it.

My Rustler on 2s lipo is every bit as fast as my Slayer. On 3s it's a different story though. On 3s my Rusty will easily eat my slayer.

But to me it doesn't matter. They are both fast and fun to drive and I love them both.

RC Qualifier
    Some guys like brunettes some guys like blondes
    Some guys like electric some guys like nitro
    Their both awesome can't say I like one more than another I take both out when I go bashing can't just have one

RC Racer
    Nice bodies on those. Cant wait until I get my Hardcore body back from the guy whos painting mine.