RC Enthusiast

Slayer needs a new engine.. No TRX here

Well the TRX finally died (was the plan) and it provided a lot of fun.
    but now its time to go bigger maybe even BB.
    My questions is... Will the Shafts, Diffs, transmission (1st) gear, and other various parts at stock form be able to handle the power of a BB?
    I have 2 engines specifically in mind.
    OS 21TM (drop in)
    and Ofna Picco .26 Max Red Dot (supposed to be drop in but not sure)

which one should I go for? What parts should I upgrade for strength? Any other engine suggestions? I wish I could get dog bones for the slayer... These plastic shafts are awesome when you need to take off the gearbox but thats it.

RC Qualifier
    I had over a gallon on my Slayer with the Picco and under "normal" conditions I had no problems. I ran a really tight slipper and a stiff clutch...With that being said I did twist 3 front center shafts. No tranny, diff or axle problems . The Picco is way overkill IMO for the Slayer. My recommendation would be on either another 3.3 or the OS 21TM. With the Picco you will need a motor mount. One other recommendation would be a M2C Chassis brace. Its almost twice as thick as the stock one and will help to eliminate flex in the engine bay.

RC Racer
    My vote is for the OS 21TM. I replaced my 3.3 with it and all I can say is WOW! It has been a great engine. It ran a little hot in the beginning but after some tuning I have it running 240-280. Just to tell you how tough this engine is I have had it up to 355F twice (by accident) and it still has great compression and runs like a top.

RC Racer
    +1 on the .21tm amazing milll

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the information!
    Yea the .21TM is what I was leaning towards. Good to know about the front center shafts. I was thinking of getting the FLM slayer CVD kit.
    My slayer already has GTR shocks (got them off ebay for 35 bucks!) with the sway bar kit and stiffer springs are on the way... feels fantastic.
    .21TM is a bit pricey compared to other engines but I guess it will be worth it in the end. I love my co-workers RC10gt with .15 OS motor... so smooth and easy to tune.

Tower has the OS .21tm for $250.00 and you can get $50.00 off and free shipping. So $200.00 is not to bad unless you live in Nevada and have to pay tax on it. The slayer already comes stock with GTR shocks. I added the Variable Damping Kit #5461 makes a big differences.
    Last edited by fallonguy; 05-15-2009 at 03:22 PM.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

Quote Originally Posted by Shervin
    I wish I could get dog bones for the slayer... These plastic shafts are awesome when you need to take off the gearbox but thats it.
    You can get dogbone CVD's for the Slayer.

For the Center Shafts, any Center CVD kit for a Revo 2.5 will fit on the Slayer.

For the Wheel shafts FLM makes a CVD kit for all 4 corners.