RC poster

New guy seeking advise; Batteries & Charger

Hello everyone,
    I'm new to the RC scene and would like some advice from those of you that have been around it for awhile and tried this or that and found what works the best. I'm looking for a good battery charger at a reasonable price (if their is such a thing) that can charge duel batteries for my brushless E-Revo.

I'm currently running the NiMH Venom 8.4 5000Mah 's and soon as this deployments ended and i return to the states i plan on running Lipos (cant get em shipped to Iraq). After reading a few threads here I'm looking at the Z50003S-25 - ***** ********* 5000mAh 3S1P 25C i found for what seems to be a good price over at hobbiecity's site.

So rather then having a stack of different chargers for these, i need a charger that can do two batteries at once as well as both types.

Any input or recommendations on the charger or even the Lipos would be great

I look forward to your feedback and thanks in advance for your help.
    Last edited by Emils; 05-11-2009 at 02:12 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You don't actually have to have a dual-charger to charge two batteries at once, you just need a charger capable of charging the total number of cells in your packs.

If you have two 2S packs, your charger need to be able to charge up to 4S...if you have two 3S packs, charger must be able to charge 6S, and so on and so forth. If your charger can charge up to 8S, then you can charge up to a total of 8 cells at the same time...four 2S packs, two 4S packs, eight 1S packs, a 4S pack & two 2S packs, etc..

Once you have the charger you want, you just have to buy or make little adapters to wire your batteries in series (main lead and balance tabs).
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC poster
    Hmm... makes sense, never thought about it that way. THX!

RC Racer
    My recommendations:

The Accucel-8150 is a Lipoly/LiFe battery charging workhorse. Capable of handling up to 8S, 7A or a maximum of 150W charging current plus balancing and discharging packs.

The Accucell has various programming and charging modes. It will accept and safely charge NiCd,Lilo, Lipo, LiFe, Pb batteries.

Spec.
    Operating voltage range: 11.0~18.0Volt
    Circuit power: max. 150W
    Charge current range: 0.1~7.0A
    Discharge current range: 0.1~5.0A
    NiCd/NiMH battery cell count: 1~27 cells
    Lithium bettery cell count: 1~8 Series
    Pb battery voltage: 2 to 36V
    Weight: 625g
    Dimensions: 170X125X35mm

http://www.*********.com/*********/s...lancer/Charger

RC Racer
    this is all you'll ever need: cellpro 10s

RC Racer
    Hey Martin_Dk I was looking into the CellPro 10s. Specs looked great. Do you own one? Are you happy with it?

The Cellpro 10s is really limited. It can only charge lithium based cells, and although it can charge 2 packs at the same time, if one battery isn't as low as the other one, or the capacity is different, the charging slows WAY down so that the full pack is blead off by the balancer as it keeps charging both packs. It is really one charger that is split into two bays.

Check out the Hyperion Duo. It can charge Lipo, Li ion, Nimh, NiCd, and lead acid, and the batteries don't even have to be the same chemistry to charge at the same time. It is basically two seperate chargers in one case, that can be linked together.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Cainam
    Check out the Hyperion Duo.... It is basically two separate chargers in one case, that can be linked together.
    As I understand it, it is two separate 10 amp chargers in a single case. Can you link it to charge a battery at 20 amps? How can it be linked together?

Quote Originally Posted by chet jamio
    As I understand it, it is two separate 10 amp chargers in a single case. Can you link it to charge a battery at 20 amps? How can it be linked together?
    No, it won't charge one pack using both ports. It has a 6s per side limit, but it can charge two identical packs as one large pack. If you are running two battery packs, and connecting them together in the vehicle (parallel or series, either one) the charger makes sure both packs are charged EXACTLY the same. The packs need to have the same type of cells (say 5000mAh, 30c discharge by the same manufacturer) but not the same number of cells. So if you have a 2s and a 3s pack, with the same type of cells, the charger will set them up to run in series as one pack.

I'm probably not explaining it very well. . . How about this - I have this charger, and I can't see needing another upgrade for YEARS.