RC Enthusiast

Castle Micro Sidewinder ESC

Any of you seasoned RC enthusiasts have any comments/suggestions about substituting this ESC for the stock Velineon ESC in the 1/16 e-revo?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=370195429902

I've heard from many of you on this forum that Castle ESCs are generally superior to the Velineon ESC in terms of reliability, performance, etc.

Also, this ESC - while it does state that the maximum lipo it can handle is a 3s - may be more likely than the Velineon ESC to safely accommodate 2s lipo batteries in series, since it can handle a maximum of 15 volts, wheres the Velineon can only handle a maximum of 14.4 volts. Also, Velineon ESCs are programmed to cut power to the motor when voltage exceeding product specs and recommendations is applied. A Traxxas employee discussed this ESC feature on a previous thread (the ESC alternately blinks red & green), and I've personally tested it on my Rustler VXL.

While running 2s in series is risky for both the Castle Micro Sidewinder ESC and the 380 velineon motor (something to be done sparingly), I'm guessing that replacing the Velineon ESC with a Sidewinder ESC would be wise for those of us reckless enough to try it...? What do you think?
    Last edited by RyanMavis; 05-11-2009 at 05:35 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Why use a esc that does not hang with the mini VXL ?
    castle esc has lower amp ratings than the mini VXL
    and the mini VXL with take a 3s lipo with joy!

The mini VXL speed control should handle 4s Lipo with only one minor (and fixable) problem - the built in low voltage protection only works up to 3s voltage. Disable it, and run an external LVC and you should be fine. Castle's small stuff can't handle that.

RC Qualifier
    I have been doing alot of motor/esc research for the Mini Slash, There is nothing better than what Traxxas has developed. Thier 380 velineon/VXL3m will set the standard for 1/16 models.

Just enjoy the ride.
    EREVOs, Slashes, 1/16 Slash, EMAXX, VXL Villain

RC Enthusiast
    Enough said. Thanks, Seattle Slew.

But, since two 2s lipos in series WILL cause the ESC to stop power to the motor (signified by an alternate blinking of a red/green light), it may be worth experimenting and finding a 1/10 scale ESC that will (a) fit the e-revo without extensive modification and (b) allow the car to run with two 2s lipos in series.

I realize the car will be blazing fast as is, and that continuous use of two 2s lipos in series will in all likelihood significantly diminish the life of the motor, but I'd like to see how the car performs on such a set-up, if even just once!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew
    I have been doing alot of motor/esc research for the Mini Slash, There is nothing better than what Traxxas has developed. Thier 380 velineon/VXL3m will set the standard for 1/16 models.

Just enjoy the ride.

I agree with you Seattle..
    and If someone were to run 3s in parallel, I think they would have their hands full..

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Just use an actual Mamba Max. It'll blow the doors off the VXL3m. But, of course, it is not water proof.
    BP stands for Brushless Powered - LMT1940/7 CF G2R

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by BP-Revo
    Just use an actual Mamba Max. It'll blow the doors off the VXL3m. But, of course, it is not water proof.

Not..........
    this thing is not out yet, and people think a mm is better than the new mini VXL.

After a polite PM from RyanMavis, I'm going to reopen this thread and see where is goes from here. Let's keep in mind that this should fall within the guidelines found here. If this thread gravitates towards technical and specification discussion of an aftermarket ESC, it will be locked.
    Be vewy vewy quiet,
    I'm hunting trolls...

RC Champion
    i dont think i could change the electronics on this truck, i love the waterproof aspect of these trucks, and compromising that by changing the electronics would significantly devalue the truck IMO.
    Mods don't let people support Trx
    Warning: 92%

RC Enthusiast
    Great point. But I'm sure that - regardless of which particular substitute ESC one decides to put in the 1/16 e-revo - one could find a waterproof box in which to encase the ESC.

I'm sure I won't be the first to put a different ESC in this bad boy, one that could handle two 2s lipos in series. I intend to run that set-up sparingly, as this much power is likely to diminish the life of the motor. For those of you who think the ESC could handle the extra voltage, please refer to the previous comments of a Traxxas employee regarding this issue:

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=469785

In all likelihood, if one plugs in two 2s lipos in series, the ESC will detect a voltage overload and immediately go into fail safe mode and cut power to the motor (signified by an alternating red/green light). Since the voltage level is only slightly higher than it's maximum, perhaps it will work. Either way, we'll find out in a few weeks.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If a powerful enough ESC is used, it could be easily fitting inside a waterproof box since the heat generated would be low enough (due to the over-capability of the speed control).

However, if a lesser ESC was used, then the box would need to allow for the heatsink of the ESC to stay exposed for cooling.

Personally, I think the best bet for these trucks is to run them on a pair of 3S in parallel and gear them for about 40mph. This should provide for ample speed considering a truck of this size, and allow the electronics to run at an acceptable temperature.

If one wishes a little more out of the truck, then a more power/efficient motor can be purchased. The VXL3m seems fair capable and should run a slightly more powerful motor just fine as long as proper gearing is used and temperatures are monitored.
    BP stands for Brushless Powered - LMT1940/7 CF G2R