Thread: High temps.

RC Qualifier

High temps.

I just bashed Eva pretty hard in the back yard. Weather . com says its 71 degrees out here. I had a ESC about 130, reverse motor 140, regular motor 150, and the cells were all about 135-160. One cell was 200 when I first got done. Melted the wrap a little. I got pretty concerned with that one. It is the first one the positive wire goes into and it always get hottest when running and charging.

I am geared 15/68 and don't really want to go any lower, it's already a wheelie machine that doesn't have the top-end I desire.

How do you guys feel about those temps?

What kind of batteries are you using? Your temps seems very high (especially with the battery packs...that's WAY too hot). I was geared 17/68 when I had my E-Revo w/ 2 2s 6000 lipos and I never had an issue with temps (the packs were barely even warm to the touch after 20 minutes of non-stop bashing).
    Vantage/MMM/1515 Revo
    MMM/1518 Revo
    T-Maxx 3.3

RC Qualifier
    Thats with Intellect 3800 7 cells.

RC Racer
    Did you set your gear mesh right when you put the new pinions in? Sometimes if you get your pinions too tight against your spur, it can cause everything to work harder and get hotter.
    I run at 16/68 and my 7-cell NIMH's don't get hot at all.

RC Qualifier
    The gears have a little play, I can turn the spur a little before it touches the pinions. Its got more play in it than it came with...

The cells are pretty old, if that matters.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Excess play is not good either, but it won't cause over-heating, just stripped spurs.

I think it is probably the batteries causing the over-heating, since they are probably having a hard time supplying all the power that is needed.
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Qualifier
    Well, I just went 17/86 so I'll see how that treats me. I guess I'll have to take it easy on tall grass and thick shrubbery...

RC Champion
    The temps listed are fine for the motor and ESC, you just have batteries that can't keep up w/ the demand : ) Time to go lipo when you buy your next packs... gearing up isn't going to help your pack temps, I'd keep it geared where you are (were). Check the battery that got hot's solder joints and battery connector... either the pack isn't as good or the connection isn't as good.

Good luck...
    Last edited by 8ight-e; 05-07-2009 at 10:47 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Isn't 17/86 a little low? That's 5.06:1!!!!
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoš
    Isn't 17/86 a little low? That's 5.06:1!!!!
    Ah, I'm still in a Slash state of mind, 17/68. I get the 68 and 86 mixed up in my dome...

RC Champion
    I agree with REVO, I think it's the batteries causing the problem. I just received my erevo today and went out in the back yard for some off road bashing which consisted of climbing hils and going through some pretty thick brush as well as rolling in and out of small ditches. I was running dual 7-cell packs. When I was done, EVERYTHING was very hot. The motors, ESC and batteries. The battery was so hot that i could not touch the bottom part of the chassis for more than a few seconds before it got very uncomfortable. I also have an ERBE, so I decided to try out dual 2S lipos. WOW, what a difference! The car was significantly faster, handled a lot better since the 2S lipo's are like 1/3 the weight and when I was finished, everything was significanly cooler. The batteries didn't feel much warmer than the ambient temps, the motor and esc still got up there, but nowhere near as hot as they were when running the NIMH packs.

I'm waiting for a brushless kit to be delivered, but if I wasn't, I'd invest in an LVC and some 2S lipos. You can get both the LVC and a pair of ***** 2S lipos from ********* for under $70. Best investment you can make for a brushed EREVO IMO.

RC Qualifier
    I have a 4s lcv on it, but I don't like the way one pack gets lower than the other. Seems like a poorly made design if you ask me. My LHS didn't have any 2s cutoffs in stock and they want 35$. I have to get some more LiPos anyway so I think *********/King will be happening soon.

I might try taking a cell off each of my NiMH and run 6s. This might brings temps down. I'll get right on that....

RC Champion
    you sure it's not the packs? If they're the same packs they should drain pretty evenly. Mine did.

RC Champion
    Interesting and good to know! I didn't run mine too low (still had 64% capacity left in them) becuase I don't have an LVC, so that may be why my packs were relatively even when I checked them.

So yeah, I agree with you after reading that... Poor design.

RC Qualifier
    Well I just took off a cell and ran with the pair of 6s. It deffinetly hit the LVC earlier as the 12.5 volts comes sooner with 12 as opposed to 14 cells. I wasn't very happy with the short run time, and I wish I would have timed it. I don't think 10 minutes is far from reality, and may be more than I had.

Anywho - the rev motor was 144, standard 153, ESC 120, batts were 120s for one group and 140s for the other. One cell was at 150 and it was in teh middle unlike an end one thats usually the hottest. The motors were backwards compared to last time when the rev-rotation was the hotter of the two. This was with the 17 toothers so not an exact comparison either.

All the temps listed were the hottest point I could find of the unit being measured...

I'll let the batts cool and let post up how mh each one took to fill, just FYI.

RC Qualifier
    2192mah ans 2343mah to fill them. They don't seem to be compatible with the cutoff.