Here's my e-slayer I just finished minutes ago. First impression: That was by far the easiest thing w/ RC's I've done in a long time (I'm coming from rc rock crawling). I currently have it set up w/ the titan the slash comes w/ b/c my havoc 10.5 is being warrantied. And most of the electricals are in their general location but I need to permanently mount them.
I'm calling this a modest e-slayer b/c my goal is keep it light and to have a top speed in the low-mid 20's. I simply drive it around my street and yard and sometimes take it to the desert and I don't need to do wheelies. I choose the slayer after driving the slash b/c 2wd just wasn't fun in the desert sand or low grip surfaces.
I wanted to keep it light b/c the heavier these things get the more expensive they get. Parts break more often and you need larger batteries, bigger motors, and high powered esc's. I have a reasonably low top speed because I don't have all that the much fun doing speed runs and I don't really have the space to do it. With this in mind I wanted to use a 540 sized motor and 2s lipo. After my first run with it, the outside temperature was 105, the motor temp never got above 130 and would quickly cooled to 115 when in the shade. Again, this is w/ the titan, I'll update this thread when my havoc returns.
I have it geared really low w/ a final drive near 19:1, calculated here: http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/_top_speed.html. If my havoc runs cool I may consider moving to 3s to get my desired top speed. I did the second gear lockout found here: http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7441 it was super easy and I removed 1st gear. I installed a 40t spur and 10t pinion, I purchased from: http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...=5mmmod1pinion and I'm using the bore reducer. I also installed the narrow gear set. The final piece is the Tekno motor mount I purchased from: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/25812. I redrilled the mount to move the motor closer to the spur. I messed it up and still ended up using spacers on one side
Currently my weight is 7lbs even. This is actually about 4 ounces more than I estimated but I'll wait till my havoc comes in to get the final weight. I will eventually be looking for places to remove weight as I would like to get it down to 6.5lbs. The stock slayer w/o fuel is 7.5lbs so I figure being a pound lighter should add to the longevity and help make it more stable. In it's current form it was actually not easy at all to flip I had to use full throttle going down a hill power slide and hit the brakes. Otherwise it was very stable but we'll see how long that last when I get it moving faster.
Here's the only shot I got.
I'll keep this thread updated w/ my long term findings of using a 540 sized 10.5 havoc brushless motor. I'm hopeful it'll hold up. Also feel free to ask any questions. This was an easy conversion I would encourage anyone to do.