RC Competitor

RCM Hybrid diffs

Got my 1/8th scale hybrid diffs from Rc-monster and installed them last night along with my Kershaw designs center dogbone kit. Installation went smooth, only mod that i had to do was to shorten the front transmission shaft as the included front dogbone is a little bit too long to use with the hybrids. A couple minutes with my dremel fixed it right up though.

Im really impressed with the fit and finish on these things, machine work is great and the 1/8th scale diffs look tough.

Ive got about 4 sets of packs run through them and they feel great, for once im not afraid of shredding my rear diff when i get on the throttle.

anyways i would highly recommend these to anyone having issues with the stock diffs.

Pics:

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yep, Mike does incredible work, and his products are the best you can buy...plus, he is a great person!
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Champion
    Looks good !

Do you use the stock diff inside the hybrid case or are you obliged to use a 1/8 diff ?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Popoxx
    Looks good !

Do you use the stock diff inside the hybrid case or are you obliged to use a 1/8 diff ?

You can only use 1/8 scale diffs. The stockers are too small.
    Supermaxx.26/Revo18TZ/Revo2200Kv/Predator.21TM

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Correct...this is not a case upgrade, it is a full diff upgrade, with much stronger and more durable 1/8 buggy diffs and 6061-T6 aluminum housings to make them fit inside stock Revo bulkheads (all versions).

Mike was making both a buggy version and a truggy version, but so much material had to be remove to accommodate the larger diameter truggy spur that it weakened the housing and caused pinion bearing failures due to the thinness of the aluminum around the pinion bearings.

Now, 99% of the public could have run the truggy style and never have a problem, but because of that 1% of people who are hardcore basher and who would more than likely break them, Mike discontinued them because he only puts out something that is 100%, nothing less.

If you have never had the pleasure of dealing with Mike, or owning any of his products, you are really missing out! First, Mike is a great person who will go out of his way to help you, and make sure everything is taken care of should there be a problem...Second, his products are absolutely incredible! They are extremely well designed, thoroughly tested & optimized, and beautifully machined! If you are thinking about buying one of his products, don't give it a second thought, buy it now...you will not be disappointed. If you have never heard of him, or any of his parts, check them out [here] and see what you might need or want. He also sells tons of other stuff in his [online store] at excellent prices.

Last edited by Revoš; 04-25-2009 at 05:54 AM.
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Champion
    I'm not a noob Revoš
    I know all the good RC companies and guys

But thanks for this info, it's useful for the beginners !

RC Competitor
    well i didnt get too many packs on these things before one of my axle carrier bearings blew out. Oh well, I have a new set of Acer ceramics on there way!!!

Im also having trouble getting the rear MIP drive cups to stay out the diff output, as it seems as though the setscrew is not sitting on the output all the way, i will try to mod the drive cups so they will fit closer to the diffs

RC poster
    Ok, I am on a budget, I keep destroying my rear diff, at $17 for the internals and $10 for the case it does not take a genius to figure out that the diff upgrade is the more cost effective solution. But MY question is, being on a budget can I replace just the rear at this time? Of course I plan on doing the front as well AND the center drive.

RC Competitor
    you will need to do both the same time the RCM diffs have a different overal gear ratio, so if you only use one the front wheels will spin faster than the rear

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dynatim
    Ok, I am on a budget, I keep destroying my rear diff, at $17 for the internals and $10 for the case it does not take a genius to figure out that the diff upgrade is the more cost effective solution. But MY question is, being on a budget can I replace just the rear at this time? Of course I plan on doing the front as well AND the center drive.
    How are you blowing out diffs so easily?

If you want to save money, buy the full diffs on eBay - they can be had for around $10 each.

Hopefully it's not the same piece breaking every time, you can mix & match to make a working diff out of parts from broken ones...

RC poster

Castle MMM 2650 DOES break stuff ! ! !

Quote Originally Posted by killatomat0
    How are you blowing out diffs so easily?

If you want to save money, buy the full diffs on eBay - they can be had for around $10 each.

Hopefully it's not the same piece breaking every time, you can mix & match to make a working diff out of parts from broken ones...
    I thought I would be the coolest guy at the track so I bought a "brushed motor" E-Revo and replaced the twin motors with a MMM 2650. I started out breaking axles, after replacing a few plastic ones I went with the steel shafts along with the longer inner hubs. I know it not just ALL torque, it is most certainly the way I am driving. HUGE air over triples and landing really hard, I am also breaking shock ball ends and other misc pieces I land on, as well as other vehicles LOL. Yes I have played with the slipper clutch to try and avoid this, I have it at about 1/8 turn from tight, any looser and it heats up EVERYTHING. So that is no solution. I did bit the bullet and ordered both front and rear diffs from RC Monster, I just hope they get here in time for next race day as my truck is apart now and I don't want to buy and more plastic. PS this time it was just the housing that gave out. I can't believe they made that out of plastic, derrrrrr